AudioXpress: Any subscribers, thoughts, opinions?

audiojerry

« on: 7 Feb 2003, 02:38 pm »
I was wondering how many guys subscribe to or even know about audioXpress. It's a diy rag for audio hobbiests with how-to articles on amps, speakers, crossovers, dacs, etc. It also has features reviews of affordable products like speakers from Adire, and Monarchy DIP, and informational articles like the one in Feb. on cabinet edge diffraction, which I found very impressive.

It would be interesting to get some feedback on this magazine.

The magazine has a website, www.audioxpress.com, for those who are interested. The website has archives that you can read online like kit reviews:
Kit Reviews  
Speaker City's MTM-18 Loudspeaker Kit Mark Florian & Joseph D'Appolito AX 3/01
Testing The North Creek Borealis Loudspeaker Kit Joseph D'Appolito  SB 7/00
North Creek Borealis Mark Florian SB 6/00
The Assemblage DAC-2.6 and DAC-3.0 Gary Galo GA 6/00
CD Repair Kits Gary Galo AE 4/00  
Wolze Hardware Phono Preamp Eric Barbour GA 3/00  
Marchand PR41 Charles Hansen AE 2/00  
PHONES-01 Gary Galo

davidw

• http://www.wnaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2003, 11:41 pm »
I've been subscribing to audioXpress and its forerunner Audio Electronics for a few years and I reckon its well worth the money. I've bought back issues to 1989 as there's some good stuff in the earlier years. The articles are usually pretty informative and can be understood by non-engineers. If you want to learn about audio electronics, solid state or valve, its a good educational resource. I have no connection with the publishers other than that they take my subscription money every year.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 02:02 am »
I've been reading SpeakerBuilder (now rolled into AudioXpress) since 1996 and have subscribed regularly since around '97/'98.  I think it's an excellent magazine, although I'm really only interested in the speaker related articles.

The review of the Adire Audio HE10.1's last month was a load of crap though.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 04:41 am »
I subscribe as well and have issues going back about 4 years or so plus the amplifer projects book. I am seriously considering building the VCA based 6 channel preamp in the last issue.

They list the parts cost at about $250 but that is with a butt ugly case and knobs. Even with a decent looking case and control knobs and some nice jacks it should be around $500. A very simple signal path and the pots only see DC for voltage control.

I will post when it's complete (assuming I build it - about a 95% chance at this point)

Mike