Usher X-616 Center Channel

Captain Humble

« on: 9 Jun 2004, 12:29 am »
Per byteme's recommendation I auditioned and subsequently purchased an Usher X-616 center channel Saturday afternoon.  Based on the due diligence he exhibited while researching main speakers, we both selected Odyssey Loreleis, I was confident that the Usher X-616 would be a winner in my system.  IT IS!  Thanks byteme.

Special thanks to Stan and Carter Tracht, Usher’s US distributors, for bringing an X-616 to my home so I could audition it in my system. The center we used was Stan’s personal center and therefore fully broken in. They also brought a pair of Usher CP-6311 floor standers, priced at $2,100, to see how they matched up against my Loreleis.  Those impressions will be posted under a separate topic.

I run Redbook, DVD movies and am especially fond of DVD video concerts.  For this reason, I expect more from a center than crisp dialog.  DVD video concerts channel a great deal of musical information to the center.  IMHO a center must be musical, deliver a good timbre match to insure a seamless transition across the front and keep up with the mains from an SPL standpoint.  Obviously my first choice would be three identical speakers across the front, but the size of the Loreleis prohibits this in my setup.  Fortunately Stan and Carter offer a GREAT alternative in the Usher X-616.

The System Used For The Audition Includes:

Home Theater Receiver:
Denon 3802

Mains:
Odyssey Loreleis driven by an Odyssey Dual mono

Rears:
B&W P5’s driven by the Denon 3802.

Sub:
ACI Titan IILE via the Denon's LFE output.

Bass Management:
Per Stan’s suggestion, all speakers were set to large with the sub crossed at 80 in the Denon’s bass management system.

My Impressions:
The fit and finish is excellent.  Period.  Each Usher is finished with 7 coats of lacquer.  Stan’s center is a metal flake silver while mine is a glossy black that a Baby Grand would be proud to wear.  The same attention is paid to the wood side panels.  The X-616 weighs in at about 48.5 pounds.

I would define the timbre match and transition across the front as seamless with the Loreleis.

The acid test for my center is to crank up Joe Walsh’s nylon string intro to HOTEL CA on the Eagles, HELL FREEZES OVER DVD and not hear the center gag when the conga and kick drums join in.  The X-616 didn’t break a sweat at levels that would drive Beethoven from the room.

Movies?  No problem.  Dialog is crystal clear.  I’m willing to bet that my neighbors across the street could hear the Lobby Scene from the first MATRIX.  Great dynamics and again the X-616 wasn’t even breathing hard.

Warranty:
Three years, with lifetime on the drivers.  Per Stan, should you ever blow a driver, at anytime, he will send a replacement at no charge.  I assume the customer pays shipping.

The Company:
Usher’s been in business for over thirty years and based on what I’ve heard I would expect them to be in business as long as they want to be.  

I was very impressed with Stan and Carter.  I would do business with them again in a heartbeat.  IMHO they’ve picked a winner in Usher from both a sonic and business prospective.  I believe that the X-616 is a fantastic value when matched with the right pair of mains.

Jeff

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2004, 12:11 pm »
Glad I could help!  Your findings mirror mine - although compartively expensive and more than I would normally have spent it is worth every penny and for what it delivers it's a screaming bargain.  I would buy it again in a second.

Anyone with Lorelei's who runs them in a home theater should audition this center.  As should anyone who wants a big beefy center that not only delivers the explosions and concert dvd's but also all the subtlties of dialog - here is your center!

listener_111

Lorelei - Positioning
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2004, 04:11 pm »
Hi,

Looking for some suggestions on Lorelei positioning and other stuff ..

Two days back I received Lorelei (these were used in NY show so fully broken), they replaced Paradigm ref 100 V2 .. now as I don't have paradigms, I really can't compare these two speakers, It definately seems an improvement over paradigms, but not sure how much. couple of years back I heard SF Piano home and was really impressed with its treble. It seems to have airier treble, and that is what I am looking for ... I know SF were attached to different equipment in a showroom and Just wondring whether anybody can suggest few things to improve the sound.

Here are the details of my system

Jolida JD-100 Modified by Parts connection with Sylvania 5751 (GB)
Odyssey Tempest
Odyssey Stratos (Cap upgrade)
Lorelei

IC - Grogenberg ??
Sp cables - zu Wax

Romm size - 22 (W) X 24 (L) X 10 (H) and open to kitchen 14 (W) X 30 (L) X 9 (H)

speakers positioned - 9 feets apart - backside - 28 inches from the back wall - 4' from the side wall, listening position 12.6 feet from the center.
speakers are sitting on marble top with the provided metal feets.

I think I am happy with Bass (really good), just concerned about the treble? Anything I can do to improve this.

Thanks a lot,

Milind

Captain Humble

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2004, 05:30 pm »
I'm not an engineer but you might try this as a starting point:

The distance between your mains should be equal to the distance from your seating position to the center point between the mains.

Klaus toes the Loreleis in very slightly. I'm guessing 10 to 15 degrees. I believe the less toe in the greater the width of the soundstage.  The tradeoff is that as you toe in more and approach actually pointing them at the listener the highs will become more pronounced.

Experiment and see if there is any validity to the above.

Good Luck,
Jeff

listener_111

Lorelei - positioning
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:04 pm »
Thanks Jeff,

I will try that in the evening, meanwhile I am looking forward your impression of Usher as compared to Lorelei.

Thanks,

Milind

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:25 pm »
Captain,

Glad to hear that you too like the X-616 center....  it's great that it offers others some choice if they have loreleis...

I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on the CP-6311s compared to the loreleis... Stan passed on his thoughts when I was speaking with him earlier this week....but he's kind of biased :)  So I was curious to hear your thoughts...

I still want to hear the lorelei's.... so if anyone in the Raleigh/Durham area or beyond has a pair, let me know...

Shane