What's the difference between SST, SST squared and SST Pro?

nemir

I can't find any details about the different Bryston units.   I am really interested in understanding what the differences between the SST, SST2 and SST2 PRO units actually are.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: What's the difference between SST, SST squared and SST Pro?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2012, 04:08 pm »
Pro units are the same as the consumer units except they are only available in Black Rack Mount faceplates.
Pro units also have a gain stage (volume adjustment) in each channel so you can adjust the gain per channel.
I usually recommend the Consumer version if you want the simplest circuit path and the pro if you need to rack mount or adjust gain per channel.

SST2 - FIRST TO LAST WATT PHILOSOPHY:

A significant part of the design criteria for the new SST² (squared) was to develop amplifiers that would maintain an ideal power curve through the 'first and last watt'. Most amplifiers exhibit a power curve whereby the best noise floor, drive capability and distortion are maintained from about 1/3 power and up. The new Bryston SST² (squared) series maintain their ideal power curve right from the first watt to the last watt. 
Think of it like a torque curve in a car. The sweet spot or the torque curve has been expanded.

Achieving this 'First-to-last-Watt' fidelity and clarity has to do with a number of design approaches:

• First is complete freedom from low-level crossover, or zero-crossing, artifacts. This is not as easy as it sounds. Most class-AB amplifiers have sufficient bias to prevent primary crossover distortion, but there is another type of crossover artifact called 'secondary crossover distortion', caused by insufficient  speed in the driver transistors. We use very fast drivers to prevent this, but more important is Bryston's proprietary Quad Complementary Output design vastly reduces the capacitance 'seen' by the driver transistors, virtually eliminating storage delay in the output stage that could contribute to nonlinearities in the zerocrossing region.

• Second is Bryston's continuing efforts to reduce low-level noise. The clarity of Bryston's designs is enhanced at low listening levels by pushing the noise floor far below the signal level, improving the 'silence between the notes' and enhancing the clarity of the music at low power levels.

• Third is Bryston's concentration on reducing distortion at all levels, and most especially at high frequencies. Bryston amplifiers are perhaps the only designs to concentrate as much effort at reducing HF distortion artifacts as we do, and the results are remarkably 'flat' THD-with-frequency curves, showing almost no tendency to increase distortion as frequency rises. This has the effect of reducing overall 'haze', helping to pull the quietest passages out of the background.

There are other small contributors to this low-level clarity, some having to do with powersupply design for extreme stability, (and in Stereo or multi-channel amps, separated for each channel), which very notably improves the placement-in-space and focus of the sonic 'image'. We think the overall result is an unprecedented degree of clarity and freedom from artificiality, especially noticeable at lower levels in comparison with other designs, but continuing to even the highest outputs.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2012, 05:12 pm by James Tanner »

nemir

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2012, 01:15 am »
Thanks for the reply, James.

Can I infer that the SST is an older model,  the SST2 is the current model with the latest bells and whistle,  and the SST2 PRO is the same,  but with a volume per channel control?  (And a sexier front panel!)

And that those bells and whistles mean a real world audible difference in quality in particular to the lower end or higher end of volume?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2012, 01:44 am »
Thanks for the reply, James.

Can I infer that the SST is an older model,  the SST2 is the current model with the latest bells and whistle,  and the SST2 PRO is the same,  but with a volume per channel control?  (And a sexier front panel!)

And that those bells and whistles mean a real world audible difference in quality in particular to the lower end or higher end of volume?

Correct - the SST2 is the latest.
My feeling is the less in the circuit path the better so it depends on the quality of the rest of the system.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:11 pm »
  Thanks for that very comprehensive explanation James  . I think it was mentioned on some earlier thread that the volume controls on the "Pro" would have no bearing on the sound quality. :thumb: :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:16 pm »
  Thanks for that very comprehensive explanation James  . I think it was mentioned on some earlier thread that the volume controls on the "Pro" would have no bearing on the sound quality. :thumb: :scratch:

Everything Matters  :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2012, 08:47 pm »
  So the C series would be slightly more purist in this regard :scratch:?

Buseto

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:30 pm »
Hi James,

Would you say that al SST2 amps sound the same, but are different in the power output?

So when one doesn't need all the power of the biggest SST2 amps there is no reason to buy a bigger one then the speaker needs?

Ron D

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm »
James can confirm but I thought when the "C" series came out., "C" referred to the "Consumer faceplate" and did not specifically refer to any technical changes....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:01 pm »
  So the C series would be slightly more purist in this regard :scratch:?

Correct - assuming the rest of the system is capable of resolving those small differences.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:02 pm »
Hi James,

Would you say that al SST2 amps sound the same, but are different in the power output?

So when one doesn't need all the power of the biggest SST2 amps there is no reason to buy a bigger one then the speaker needs?

That's the goal - try to provide more horse power but have the same level of quality throughout.  So it is not a better/best concept.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:05 pm »
James can confirm but I thought when the "C" series came out., "C" referred to the "Consumer faceplate" and did not specifically refer to any technical changes....

Both depending on which mode (some changes like in the 28B's power supply and 7B SST2 happened after the introduction of the C-Series) - the C-Series was the first of the SST2 series on most models.

james

b5pt9

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2012, 04:46 am »
I've got 7B's build date 08 17.  The back panels say "7BSST2-1580" and "7BSST2-1581" but the front power button says "SST".  I was told they are the original SST2 design before they revised the transformers - is this correct?  Or are they same as the SST design?