Funny thing happened last night... how do I fix it?

crazyravr

Funny thing happened last night... how do I fix it?
« on: 21 Sep 2012, 02:34 pm »
So In have all my equipment plgugged into the wall no conditioners. power bars etc. Last night I "listened" to  the system much louder than usual and noticed during some of heavy passages my lamp dim a bit. At first I thought I was seeing things so then I started to pay attention.... yeap it dimmed.
So how do I go about fixing this "issue"? Also is this making my system not perform to its full potential? I have mono amps in between my speakers and the rest of the rack on a side wall.
Again.... what do I need?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Funny thing happened last night... how do I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2012, 02:49 pm »
  It appears you have overloaded the circuit being used. Unplug the items on the circuit not being used for the audio system and see if it happens again.
    If you can have a 20 Amp dedicated line installed. You will be happy you did.

charles

crazyravr

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:13 pm »
No chance for new power lines... panel in basement listening room 2nd floor on the oposite side of the house. Dont the power conditioners with large transformers provide enough "juice" for such ocasions?

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:21 pm »
It can only supply the amount of current that the outlet it is plugged into can provide.
Do this as a starter, the plug or plugs you are currently using take them out and tighten the screws on all of the terminations. Believe it or not this will make a difference. Only if the plugs are wired to the screws and not just plugged in to the outlet. These things get hot and cold and things loosen over time. that makes for a bad connection and it will not be able to supply the current needed in some cases. If the plugs have the wires stripped and plugged in, go to Home depot and get some new plugs with screws and install them. You can do the same thing in the main breaker box, go in and check all connections for tightness! You may be suprised at the results.
If all connections are already tight then it's simply just not enough supply to the system.
Gary

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:23 pm »
The eye is very sensitive to flickering lights.  This is what an electrical engineer wrote about it, at an electrical forum.

I conjecture that in most residential cases that you will see some flicker in an incandescent lamp when a whole house air conditioner turns on.
The real question is -- is the amount of momentary voltage drop excessive?
You need some instrument that can record voltage with a response time of probably 1 millisecond. Even 1 second may be sufficiently good in some cases.
I think most people will detect a momentary voltage change of 3% with an incandescent lamp. My sensitivity is somewhere between 1 and 2%.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:26 pm »
The outlet will provide more & more current until the breaker trips.  But as the current increases the supply voltage drops.

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:11 pm »
If you can't install a dedicated line,I would home audition a Torus PIU.
Most conditioners restrict power to the amps even though they say non current limiting(shunyata comes to mind)which I used  a few years back.
Those and others can only give what the wall has 15a,20a ect.
The Torus can give you a lot more than the wall which makes a huge difference with the amps and the music even without dedicated lines(I've had both),
now just dedicated lines(no hitch hikers )on the dedicated line.
home auditions are free whether you tryout the above or something else.
I also would take your time as it's easy to get wrapped up in eye candy,Torus aren't pretty but it's what they do for the dynamics in music that counts.