Apple GPS app Leave Users Lost

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Apple GPS app Leave Users Lost
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:20 pm »
The free Mapquest app works well.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:27 pm »
yeah its sad but it probably would not affect me since I don't use my iPhone much for GPS - but I would download an alternate mapping program.

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2012, 07:20 pm »
By using Safari's bookmarking function a shortcut to a web-page can be placed on your home screen. 
The first step is to navigate to Google's site and click on the more arrow at the upper right corner of the page.
A drop down menu with the Google Maps icon will appear. Clicking on this icon will bring up Google Maps.
Using the search function in Google Maps, place a search on your general area, in my case Washington, D.C. , in the search bar.
This will bring up a map of your general area.
Use Safari to bookmark this page.
 Depending how you hold the phone when you do this, vertically or horizontally, you may need to scroll to the second page of the bookmark options and you will find Add to Home Screen as an option.
Click on Add to Home Screen to place a shortcut to Google Maps containing your location. After doing this you can then drag Apple's sorry *ss excuse for a map app to the last page at the back of the phone or stash it into a sub-folder of seldom used apps.
Scotty

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

skunark

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2012, 05:00 am »
I don't know of a single GPS/Map product (website, device, app) that hasn't had issues....   

Google maps still has incorrect labels for my address even though it correctly puts the pin in the right location on the map. 

Mapquest, several years back when it was considered the standard, took me down a dead end street from the north, where it should have taken me up a dead end street from the south.    It was a 45 minute mistake, funny thing the two dead ends, still have yet to be connected are only a couple miles apart..  Of course I learned all of this the hard way...

Navigon/Garmin takes me to the center of town if the address is 100% recognized...  it doesn't even tell you if there's a mistake...  But at least it doesn't need reception to work...

Key thing, review the directions before following them... 

I did use Apple's map app tonight to take me to a local bar that I hit at least once a week.. it did fine for the simple route...  My biggest complaint so far is the lack of traffic information.  Google maps clearly excelled in that, but I understand that Apple wants to improve the app and at least have the same features as Google maps on Android.