suggest good contrasting speaker to Hornshoppe Horns?

fiveoclockfriday

Hello, I'm hoping you guys can help provide some options (hopefully backed up by your experiences).

I've had a pair of the Hornshoppe Horns about 7 years now. Currently I use a Marantz PM8004 amp, CD6004 cd player/USB player, and an old Sony turntable. I love the Horns at times, but lately I've been wanting to try something different for a few reasons:

- The Horns are extremely "forward" sounding. They put you "on the stage" with performers, and while that's exciting sometimes, I'm interested in hearing speakers with a more relaxed presentation. It's hard to enjoy some music with this presentation, and it's hard to physically relax sometimes when listening.

- Similarly, the Horns measure very strangely, all kinds of peaks and resonances. When everything works well it's magic, but again sometimes it feels fussy on certain recordings. I'm interested in trying something that strives for a flatter response.

- Lastly, this sounds silly, but I really like the Marantz PM8004, but it's too much amp/current for the Horns. I quite literally can barely nudge the volume up from 0 and it's fairly loud with most recordings, if I want to really crank it I go just a tiny bit more. It sounds fine, but I'd love to try something that let me work the amp a bit, get a little higher on the volume knob (again I know this sounds silly but I can't help it).

So, I'm considering bookshelf speakers primarily. I'm not opposed to other floorstanding speakers but shipping can be costly and my listening area is not large. I listen in part of a finished basement, sitting about 9-10 feet away from the speakers, who are about 8-10 feet apart and 2 feet from the back wall.

I listen to a wide variety of music: jazz, newer indie pop/rock, older blues, African music, post rock...I'm not a metalhead nor do I get into large scale orchestral stuff, but just about anything else. Bass response is important but not the primary concern because I have an Adire Audio subwoofer.

What do you guys recommend that's around $1000? I'm totally open to used speakers as well. I would love to listen to lots of different speakers, but I live in NE Ohio, and there's only 1 hifi dealer I know of, and he's fairly high end and appointment only.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Re: suggest good contrasting speaker to Hornshoppe Horns?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:49 pm »
Hi five oclock,
     If you are looking at book shelve speakers you have a lot to choose from.  Audio Engine always gets rave reviews and they are powered so you could use your Marantz elsewhere.  Also Danny Richie of G R Research his coming out with a pair for RMAF that there 3db down point is suppose to 20hz  :o  I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions and a lot more questions as to your likes and application.
All the best in your search,
Guy

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:55 pm »
Guy, I think that is part of the new line for another company that Danny has designed- and I'd be surprised if it comes in under $1K.  What about a pair of his Neo 2x's? They have great detail from about 70Hz up. 
I saw a pair for sale here a couple of weeks ago.  Heck, I might even be convinced to sell mine. 
Scott

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:36 am »
I'll have to look more into GR Research. In terms of sonic "signature", what are they like?

My biggest challenge is figuring out what different speakers sound like. Some people will talk about the classic Harbeth sound, or the house sound of PSB or Focal or something, and I don't really know what any of those actually sound like.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:06 am »
I would suggest the Soundfield Monitor 1 from AJ here on AC.  At $1300 a pair it's a bit over your budget, but there's nothing quite like them for the price and they are the anti-Hornshoppe Horns to a tee.  They are designed to be extraordinarily flat with in room response curves, are dynamic to a level unheard of in speakers this size, and are very un-fussy about placement.  As they are custom built for each customer, you can get them finished in just about any way you want.

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:26 am »
 :D Color me excited!
My SAM 1 arrive Saturday and if they displace my venerable  Vandersteen's  :thumb:.. How cool is that?
The Vandersteen's got me off the speaker merry go round forever like the Van Alstine DACs and saved me a ton of money but my little voice is telling me that AJ has forever got me off that speaker merry go round for good. Again.. how cool is that?
Best,
Tom

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:31 am »
Letitroll98
 :duh:

Go ahead and ban my remarks! ..ouch! still learning!
 :lol:
Can I  monitor the RESTRICTED CIRCLE?  :thumb:
No worries mate!
have some fun this week!
Tom

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:39 am »
Letitroll98
 :duh:

Go ahead and ban my remarks! ..ouch! still learning!
 :lol:
Can I  monitor the RESTRICTED CIRCLE?  :thumb:
No worries mate!
have some fun this week!
Tom

Oh no sir, you just have to wait for me to approve them.  No banning from me and I missed the boat on why you got on the restricted list, and wouldn't address it here if I did know.  Anyway, you're fine to post here 'bouts if you'll wait for this old man to get around to checking the threads.  I try to get on at least twice a day, but that could mean 8-10 hrs some days, or a few minutes like tonite.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:40 am »
I've given him a 30-day timeout.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:53 am »
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 (highly acclaimed, less efficient, barely need a sub) or Focal 706v Chorus (also highly rated) would be excellent (new) and fit the bill:

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41246-focal-chorus-706v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

I've used the original Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 giant killers for 9 years and still love em.  Music Direct allows returns (you pay shipping). 

Silverline Minutes are also supposed to be good speakers (if you have a sub, they are also less efficient). 

LSA 0.5 or LSA-1 are also supposed to be good speakers.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:07 am »
I would suggest the Soundfield Monitor 1 from AJ here on AC.  At $1300 a pair it's a bit over your budget, but there's nothing quite like them for the price and they are the anti-Hornshoppe Horns to a tee.  They are designed to be extraordinarily flat with in room response curves, are dynamic to a level unheard of in speakers this size, and are very un-fussy about placement.  As they are custom built for each customer, you can get them finished in just about any way you want.

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/

I heard these at the Lone Star audio fest this year, and they are the real deal. 
I like them a bit better than my Neo2X's, but they are also condsiderably more $$ also.  I think when I bought my N2X kit, it was just over $300. Now they are around $450 for a kit.  Add $30 for some mdf, upgrade the bypass caps for another $100, slap on some ebay veneer for $25, and you've got yourself something pretty nice for about half of the price of the Soundfields.

Scott

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:47 am »
I would encourage you to have a look at Ohm Acoustics in your research. Mid-hall presentation, detailed, neutral with an enormous sweet spot, made in 'merica and available for 120 day audition in your home. They are immensely satisfying whether listening with budget or high end gear ... your Marantz would be a great match by the way. When set up properly(which is easy peasy), the omni presentation will weave an enormous sound stage of big, weighty and textured sonics, a wall of sound really. They do the audiophile parlor tricks (imaging, soundstage) a little differently than conventional speakers, but imo the omni presentation sounds far more natural. There's a big thread about Ohm Speakers on the Audiogon forum if you care to check it out.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:05 am »
The Horns are extremely "forward" sounding. They put you "on the stage" with performers, and while that's exciting sometimes, I'm interested in hearing speakers with a more relaxed presentation. It's hard to enjoy some music with this presentation, and it's hard to physically relax sometimes when listening.

Sounds like you need a pair of Fritz CARBON 7's.......their more than $1,000.00....but are what you seek...warm and relaxed.Maybe you can find a used pair...or talk to Fritz.

As mentioned.... AJ's speakers (Soundfield Monitor 1) are very good for the price...a well balanced sound...at a good price.

Get out and listen.... :wink:

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:38 am »
I know I'm in the minority, but the Fritz 7 left me unimpressed at the RMAF last year- and they are $800 above the OP budget.  Having heard both, IMO they don't complete with AJ's speakers that are $500 less.  I even like my N2x over the Fritz....  lots of opinions, lots of speakers. But when the Wolf howls, you better listen.  He has definitely wrapped his ears around a lot of sound.

Scott

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2012, 08:40 am »
I know I'm in the minority, but the Fritz 7 left me unimpressed at the RMAF last year- and they are $800 above the OP budget.  Having heard both, IMO they don't complete with AJ's speakers that are $500 less.  I even like my N2x over the Fritz....  lots of opinions, lots of speakers. But when the Wolf howls, you better listen.  He has definitely wrapped his ears around a lot of sound.

Scott

Hi Scott-  In the future...  If you are going to review audio gear & especially loudspeakers at the trade shows, you really need to listen to your OWN MUSIC that you are familiar with!

When you came into my room at last years RMAF, my room mates were playing some very boring classical stuff that wasn't recorded well, didn't have any dynamics and absolutely did not do my Carbon 7's any justice at all!

When I inquired if you had brought any CD's or LP's that you wanted to listen to, you said that you didn't bring anything at all to the show.  I pointed to our 100+ LP's, a few dozen CD's & a laptop computer full of tunes and for you to pick out what ever you liked.  You said that what was currently playing was fine, so I thought that you probably had known that recording.  What was playing didn't really sound very good at all and I should have pulled it off and put on a few other cuts.

ATTENTION EVERYBODY-  Always bring your OWN MUSIC that you know when you want to compare & listen to new gear!  Most companies are more than happy to play your tunes as we are sick of listening to the SOS!

Thanks & Happy listening...  Fritz
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2012, 11:50 am by fritzspeakers »

pansixt

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2012, 08:54 am »
Fritz,
Can't wait to hear this years offerings.
If you put up the sign again this year, we will support you.
I will bring my Willi Lohmann Kapelle disc.
Blow them away the Blues Ya? 8)
James

Oop's, Sorry. Didn't mean to give props on the non-industry thread"""" :duh:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2012, 09:29 am »
Another impressive speaker within budget is Nate's (search the AVA circle).  Frank has presented at audiofest with them and they are neighbors.  I recall good sound and amazing imaging.  They are typical looking 2-way standmounts.

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm »

Hi Scott-  In the future...  If you are going to review audio gear & especially loudspeakers at the trade shows, you really need to listen to your OWN MUSIC that you are familiar with!

When you came into my room at last years RMAF, my room mates were playing some very boring classical stuff that wasn't recorded well, didn't have any dynamics and absolutely did not do my Carbon 7's any justice at all!

When I inquired if you had brought any CD's or LP's that you wanted to listen to, you said that you didn't bring anything at all to the show.  I pointed to our 100+ LP's, a few dozen CD's & a laptop computer full of tunes and for you to pick out what ever you liked.  You said that what was currently playing was fine, so I thought that you probably had known that recording.  What was playing didn't really sound very good at all and I should have pulled it off and put on a few other cuts.

ATTENTION EVERYBODY-  Always bring your OWN MUSIC that you know when you want to compare & listen to new gear!  Most companies are more than happy to play your tunes as we are sick of listening to the SOS!

Thanks & Happy listening...  Fritz

Fritz,
Wow. You remember it better than I do.  I had already planned to give you guys a second listen this year with my own stuff.  Like I said, my impressions were the exception compared to many other knowledgeable listeners- and I always like to give any room a second listen and just ran out of time last year to get back to your room.  I'll make it a priority this year to get to your room extra early to avoid the crowd.  With so many of our members posting positive comments, I'll be surprised if another evaluation isn't warranted.

Scott

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:21 pm »
Thanks for your help guys, some good info here, and some good speakers to try and check out. I wasn't familiar with most of the AC mentioned brands, but I will look into them. Thanks again!

steve f

« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:51 pm »
You could keep the Horn Shoppe Horns and get the Heil drivers to turn them into two ways. See Ed's site.