Added a Wool Rug to listening room today.....

Ern Dog

Added a Wool Rug to listening room today.....
« on: 17 Sep 2012, 05:20 am »
I've been living in this rental home for 3 years and it has wood floors.  I've been looking for a big rug to help with absorption and I scored an 8x11 wool rug to put underneath my stereo/speakers.  For whatever reason I thought it would add some warmth, but what I got was that it seemed to brighten up the presentation and I think it sounds a little thinner.  I did get more clarity which was nice.  Is this a typical outcome?

Big Red Machine

Re: Added a Wool Rug to listening room today.....
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2012, 10:26 am »
It's not doing much for you jammed back under the rack.  A large absorbing rug should be under the speakers and out under your feet to catch all the bounce patterns between the drivers and your ears.  Turn it 90 degrees and put the back edge of the speakers on it and catch as much of the room toward your seat as you can.  Without a pad it will only grab the very highest frequencies.

orientalexpress

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2012, 01:32 pm »
i agree,u need to add a thick pad under that Rug . :thumb:

lapsan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:11 pm »
A large absorbing rug should be under the speakers and out under your feet to catch all the bounce patterns between the drivers and your ears.  Turn it 90 degrees and put the back edge of the speakers on it and catch as much of the room toward your seat as you can.  Without a pad it will only grab the very highest frequencies.

Excellent advice. Even moving the rug forward will help. Floor reflection "points" are halfway between your ears and the front of each speaker cabinet.

--Ethan

Ern Dog

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm also in the process of getting more room treatment.  I want to add a GIK 244 behind the tv and another one behind my listening chair.  I've already got some for the first reflection points and a couple corner traps in the front corners.  If you look carefully, you could see the one on the right side.