Denon DL-160

7x57

Denon DL-160
« on: 15 Sep 2012, 04:27 pm »
I noticed that Denon doesn't make the giant killing DL-160 high output MC cartridge anymore. It was a huge upgrade over a slightly more expensive Grado cartridge I had in use. It passed the highest levels of ALL my test record tracking tests where the Grado failed at the highest level. I found nothing but positive reviews of the DL-160 back when I bought it, so I'm wondering if Denon had a suitable replacement at a similar price. Would like to hear from those who have owned the DL-160 and any of the other Denons in the closest price categories. Andy Bowman of Vintage Tube Services said that Denon always punched above their price point in the phono cartridge world, and the now discontinued DL-160 made a believer out of me.....in about 15 seconds. It mates very well with my VPI HW-19 and PT-6 tonearm combo. No Grado Dance and no Grado Hum with the DL-160, and it can play warped records and sound good while doing so that the Grado could not. At only 1.6 grams tracking force with excellent trackability, it preserves record collections very well.

If there is no suitable replacement, I will immediately have to hunt down a new old stock DL-160 and stick it away, as I know of no other cartridge that is such a good all around performer at its price point. Never heard anything better in anyone's system for the money. Andy Bowman was correct in his assessment of phono cartridges. Also, there wasn't much break-in improvement with the DL-160. It sounded glorious immediately and has stayed that way for several years.

Airborn

Re: Denon DL-160
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2012, 08:21 am »
I agree with you about Denon carts being good performers for their cost. They haven't made the DL-160 for over a year or so now and it's too bad because it was a great cart, imo. They do still make the DL-110 which is very close in price and performance to the DL-160. If you are looking for a substitute for the 160 I think the DL-110 is as close as you will find. I've owned both and they sound and perform very similarly. Check out Ed Kobesky's reviews on both carts for more info. Another similar priced performer in a mm is the Audio Technica AT-440, which I am using now. A little brighter but very similar in tracking at 1.6 g. I think I am going to get another DL-110 just in case Denon decides to stop production of this cart too.