where do we stand on 5.1 output?

ratso

where do we stand on 5.1 output?
« on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
i know this isn't exactly the correct forum for this, but you guys are generally great at fielding all comers, so might as well try. i downloaded plex yesterday on my 2011 mini, and my first go through i got no sound output. i didn't have time to fool with it at the time, so today i googled the problem and came across a bunch of threads that all discussed a similar and to me mind bogglingly bizarre problem - can mac mini's output surround sound properly? this sounds like a joke, but there are a million threads out there with people having problems trying to get a mini to output dts/aac over hdmi. according to some sources that quote apple care, apple never intended the mini to be used in HT (WHAT??? PEOPLE ARE USING THEM AS HTPC'S?????). i have seen threads stating certain MIDI settings will cure the problem, then others refuting it. i have seen threads that it can only output surround sound on it's optical output which makes zero sense. i have seen threads with crazy convoluted workarounds involving 3rd party downloads. i have read threads that said it's a bug and being worked on but never heard if it was solved. does anyone know? how can a computer used greatly as a HTPC have this problem?