Are you Salk Owners HT guys or Music Guys

mobiledynamics

Are you Salk Owners HT guys or Music Guys
« on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:19 am »
Just short of a Soundscape C, for all you HT guys, are you guys missing a 3 way center in your lineup ?

I haven't really defined it but given the options, FL/FR with phantom center or a true center with MR is  my preferred setup for HT.
So for all you HT buffs, let me hear how your Salk Center is, how it's faring and what's your benchmark.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
Re: Are you Salk Owners HT guys or Music Guys
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2012, 03:51 pm »
One Soundscape shy of a bunch eh? Hehe.

My Soundscape C is absolutely critical to authoritatively carry the center channel for movies, games, etc. I never liked phantom mode because it has always been a digitally processed compromise, but the forthcoming Dolby specs are promising to reduce variability in scaling between different numbers and placements of speakers. Just avoid a non-RAAL/Accuton based center (assuming Soundscapes in the front); it will never match the timbre.

Bottom line: If you frequently listen to surround sources, have the means, and the space (it's bigger than most center speakers) - go for it:duh:  :)

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:06 pm »
My Salk center is performing very well (SongCenter), but I sit on-axis every time.  However, when sitting off-axis it really improves the HT experience.  The SoundScape C is not cheap, but I'd bet it's one of the best center channels you've ever heard, and if you're a HT buff and have family members or friends that sit off-axis it will certainly be worth it.  Just my opinion, of course.

Oh, and I am both a music and HT enthusiast. :)

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2012, 06:23 pm »
I'm a 2 channel guy.

I have dedicated HT and 2 channel sytems.  Separate rooms.

The Soundscapes are in the 2 channel setup

I use V3's with a monster center channel  - it's a ribbon tweeter but not in the league of the RAAL.
It does sound reallly nice.

You can still be a music guy with ht
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2012, 02:45 am by audiotom »

benguin

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2012, 08:48 pm »
My Salks are under currently construction, but for HT use there was no doubt in my mind on having a SS Center to match the LR.

On my current HT setup, I have seen how the center channel is the workhorse for most of the critical dialog.  And how could I turn down having that SSC front and center?

glangford

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2012, 11:01 pm »
I'm also strictly a 2 channel guy.  I have one 2 channel system for both music and movies. About 90% of the use is music.  I could have bought a decent multi channel system, but preferred to put all that into 2 really good channels. Optimize for music, and I'll take what I get for movies.

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2012, 12:45 am »
I am 50/50 and still waiting for center speaker. Right now, my system is running in phantom. The SS8 are doing an excellent job here. sometime, I am having a doubt about my need for a center channel speaker.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:20 am »
i went all out for HT a few years ago and it sounded fantastic. i dont know exactly why, but it lost its allure. it all just seems kind of tricked-up to me.  i sold my surrounds. my sub went in the closet next. the center i kept in service for another year, but since getting my 2ch Salk's, its now in the closet as well. the Salk's do such a great job at soundscaping that a center just seemed redundant.  my Oppo 83SE does a decent job of down mixing to 2ch. there is some whiz-bang effects that are MIA but the overall experience is still quite dramatic and good enough for the occassional movie night.  next up is the multi-channel amp. its got to go so i can upgrade to a Van Alstine or Belles...  the EAD Sig-8 pre i use is here until one of us dies ;)

caper334@hotmail.com

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:33 pm »
I'm about 50/50 and just purchased the supercharged towers.....I've read lots of reviews...all were great with about every speaker...I like all kinds of music from rock to country...I'm just hoping I notice a significant improvement...I hope I am not disappointed

glangford

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm »
i went all out for HT a few years ago and it sounded fantastic. i dont know exactly why, but it lost its allure. it all just seems kind of tricked-up to me.  i sold my surrounds. my sub went in the closet next. the center i kept in service for another year, but since getting my 2ch Salk's, its now in the closet as well. the Salk's do such a great job at soundscaping that a center just seemed redundant.  my Oppo 83SE does a decent job of down mixing to 2ch. there is some whiz-bang effects that are MIA but the overall experience is still quite dramatic and good enough for the occassional movie night.  next up is the multi-channel amp. its got to go so i can upgrade to a Van Alstine or Belles...  the EAD Sig-8 pre i use is here until one of us dies ;)

The 83se does an outstanding job of down mixing with it's dedicated stereo outs. I had an 83 then upgraded to a 95.  I use the dedicated stereo outs for a headphone amp and set fr/fl to sereo only.   Yea like you I'm considering chucking the multi channel avr in favor of a good integrated. I'd like one with XLR connections to take advantage of those in the 95.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:03 am »
I think a center helps a tremendous amount.  I like music more than video, but I mainly have time now for video and not music.

billmcc

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2012, 08:32 pm »
Since buying the STs and SongCenter I have gone from mostly HT use for my system to mostly 2CH and MCH music :).

Bill

screener

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2012, 09:36 pm »
I was a HT guy until I received my Salks. Now I'm 80% music. But I do enjoy HT with them.
I'm listening to them now. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PSB Guy

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2012, 09:49 pm »
2-channel only here in our small living room. The SongBirds fill the room and image like crazy. Haven't missed the cheap HTIB I used to have.

Cornelis

billmcc

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm »
I was a HT guy until I received my Salks. Now I'm 80% music. But I do enjoy HT with them.
I'm listening to them now. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Kim,

Nice, rub it in as you know I'm in work  :D.

Bill

sounddog

« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2012, 12:11 am »
I'm not into HT. My HT2s are used solely for 2 channel. That RAAL tweeter brings a  :) to my face!

vintagebob

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2012, 09:46 pm »
I'm still using the HT2-Center with my SoundScapes.

WntrMute2

« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2012, 03:26 am »
2 channel only here.  No need for anything else.  Not much of a video guy.  Even staring at the speakers I don't get the sense that the music is coming from them.  Just finished a set that included Morphine, Miles Davis The Faces and Joss Stone.  All presented nicely and with the instruments spread out in realistic fashion.  I was listening to something yesterday and both the dogs and I swiveled our heads to locate a guitar sound located clearly outside the right speaker.  CI am certainly happy with my purchase a few years ago from Jim.