Power Sound Audio - Tom Vodhanel

Dan Driscoll

Power Sound Audio - Tom Vodhanel
« on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:59 pm »
In case anyone is interested, Tom Vodhanel, a co-founder and former head of R&D at SVS who left in 2007, has started a new sub-woofer manufacturing company caller Power Sound Audio, along with another former SVS head engineer, Jim Farina. The website is appropriately enough, http://www.powersoundaudio.com/.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with either company and have never owned an SVS or Power Sound sub. In the past I have participated in discussions with Tom on various audio & HT forums, but that was 5+ years ago. I have never met him or Jim IRL and was not asked to post this.

coke

Re: Power Sound Audio - Tom Vodhanel
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2012, 07:18 pm »
I have 2, XV15s

It's my first time with dual subs and I'm having a little trouble finding the best place to put them, but so far I'm very impressed with the subs.

Also, they reply to emails faster than any company I've ever dealt with.

Here's an example.  I sent an email asking for help and got this about 30 minutes later.  Easy to see it was written for me and not just a generic email.

"I don't think sealed versus ported would make much difference here. The way the room interacts with a subwoofer will primary depend on the frequency response of the subwoofer so unless the sealed subwoofer had very little output below 30hz(for example) anything affecting the XV15s would also affect a sealed subwoofer in much the same manner.

Also, be sure to re-calibrate the subwoofer(s) output level each time you try a different location. If you don't a new location that provides much more output(like your rear corners) will sound very boomy at first. But once you dial back the gain controls to match your SPL meter it may sound very good.

When trying to optimize dual subwoofers(in two different locations) it is often easiest to start with only one subwoofer. Find the best location for the first subwoofer, get it calibrated and be sure the phase is "dialed in"(that there is no large null between the main speakers and the subwoofer).  Also, to find the best location for the first sub the "subwoofer crawl" can work pretty good. Here is a good link in case you're not familiar http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement. I would mark the top 3-4 positions for the subwoofer using this method. Then whichever one position you end up with for the first subwoofer, you can start by trying the other 2-3 locations for the second subwoofer.

Now, in your size room a single XV15 should sound very good once you find a good spot and calibrate it. I would spend a little time demo-ing your favorite movies and music with the single XV15. This will give you some frame of reference.

When you add the second subwoofer to the system start with its gain control set to the same point as the first XV15. Now, with the subwoofer test tone playing adjust the phase control on the second subwoofer only(you don't want to alter the phase of the first subwoofer because it is optimized to the output of your main speakers). Adjust the phase on the second subwoofer to get the highest reading on the SPL meter. Once that is done, go into the receiver's subwoofer level control and lower it as needed to get the total bass levels back down to proper calibrated levels. Depending on the distance between the two subwoofers you usually need to lower the receiver's sub setting by 3-5dB when adding the second sub.

Don't forget, if you try a new spot for the second subwoofer, be sure to reset the calibration and phase control(on the second sub) each time you move it as outlined in the paragraph immediately above.

This should get you VERY close to having the setup optimized. "

I also received tracking numbers only minutes after placing my order.  These were sent by person too, and not an automated system.

Great company to deal with so far.

medium jim

Re: Power Sound Audio - Tom Vodhanel
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2012, 07:25 pm »
Hi Coke:

There's a thread about room measurements in the Bass Place Circle that has some great info on sub placement, additionally there is the helpful link thread.

Thanks,
Jim