ACI Force XL sub help

cipv

ACI Force XL sub help
« on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm »
I currently got my hands on one of these subs for a very good price but I cant seem to get it to work properly. I know the sub was not abused or anything since I bought it from a classic musician who values his equipment and quality of sound...

My main problem is that if I have the volume turned up on my receiver the sub will overheat and turn off....

Setup is:
FL/FR - polk monito 60s
Center - Klipsch Icon XL-23
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V471
Surrounds - Still looking for a good option here... no surround as of right now

I am pretty new to home audio and dont understand some aspects very well so I'm sure the problem lies with something I have done wrong.

So far the sub is hooked into the LFE output of the receiver with a Y-splitter at the other end into the R and L channels on the back of the sub. I read it is better to havbe the receiver handle the crossover so it is at max on the sub and set to 80 on the receiver setup.

Any help would be appreciated!!

medium jim

Re: ACI Force XL sub help
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2012, 02:09 am »
Welcome to the AC!  I don't have an answer for you, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to help you out.

Jim

srb

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2012, 02:58 am »
The Force XL has three input jacks, a Left and Right that use the internal crossover of the sub and a single Theater input (also labeled LFE on some other subs) which bypasses the internal crossover when using the crossover in a receiver or processor with its LFE output.

I'm not sure why the sub would overheat and shutdown with your present connections, but try the theatre input (which is what you want when using the receiver's crossover anyway) and see if that makes a difference.

Steve

Joe_K

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:16 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle.
I would try what srb recommends, if that doesn't take care of it,
ACI still has a legacy circle here and Mike, the designer of the sub still responds there. If you don't get it figured out you could try there:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=76.0
That's a very nice and popular sub. In the unlikely event that something is defective, service is still available.

Joe

Mudslide

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:33 am »
I assume that "80" is the crossover frequency that you have set in the Yamaha.  Make certain that the sub volume gain knob on the sub is not turned up all the way.  It's likely going into protect mode from over heating or being overpowered.  Try setting the sub's gain knob to a little less than half-way and try playing it again.  If that works, you're set to go.  If not, you may have some other problem.  Try running the Yamaha's YPAO and let it set the crossover and volume setting for the sub (but again, with the sub's volume turned to a little less than half-way).

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Welcome to the forum!   :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2012, 06:31 am »
I have my Force XL set up on "Theater" input, my processor's sub output set to 80hz, and the sub volume set at just 1/3 volume. But this deosn't sound like a connection issue to me. I'll be curious what Mike has to say for sure. Good luck & welcome to AC.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:28 pm »

Excellent article from Allen Lofft

http://www.axiomaudio.com/sub_setup.html

cipv

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:29 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!

Let me clarify a little.... It doesnt overheat right away but if I listed to a few (2-3) songs that are more bass intensive it will gradually warm up until the back radiator gets hot and then shuts off. With my setup, what would be a good START point to have my crossover at (on the sub)? Also, there are 2 knobs for crossover on the sub (assuming low and high)? What would be good values to set the high at?

As far as the knob for volume on the sub, it is only at half....