What do you guys think of the Audio-Technica LP60 for a starter table?

painted_klown

Hey guys,

I am interested in getting into vinyl on the cheap, and stumbled across the Audio-Technica LP60 for a mere $70.

I don't have a lot of funds to put toward a table as I have other priorities (audio and otherwise) that I have to focus on.

I also dug up a site that sells an upgraded version of this table for $100. It can be found here.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATLP60.html

So, what do you guys think?

Is this table sufficient enough to get me "spinning the black circle" either upgraded or not?  :D

Just for a little idea of what I have for a record collection. It's nearly all garage sale/thrift store records that have been stored improperly.  :oops:

Hey, I am a noob to vinyl (and have actually only been into "hi-fi" for just a few years).

However, it is my love of audio and music that makes getting into vinyl so appealing to me. As stated, my budget is tight, so I am just looking for something to play my old 25 cent records on, not necessarily trying to "best" CD quality right out of the gate. I am guessing it would take a big $$$ setup to do that anyway.

I have been lurking around here in the vinyl circle, and have read through the "Vinyl Newbies" thread, but some of that stuff got over my head a bit, and didn't really focus on ultra low cost options to get into the vinyl hobby.

To be quite honest, I find vinyl to be a little intimidating at this point. Everything from cleaning records, prepping them for proper storage, setting up the table, adjusting tracking force, anti-skate, etc becomes a bit mind boggling and seems to be almost "ritualistic" in the manner in which it is all done.

It's the romantic notion of giving love to these great old records and thrift store finds that is really appealing to us guys looking in from the outside, so to speak.

Thanks for reading, and any/all advice is welcomed.  :D

-Dave

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
I think you're on the right track looking at A-T tables to get into vinyl, but not that one.  Better to save up and get a LP120 ($217) or LP240 ($349) at Amazon.  Yeah, that's 3X and 5X more than the LP60.  But think about something you bought cheap that ended up being a waste of money because it didn't work very well or you disliked it so much you never used it.  I think the LP60 would fall into that category.

The LP240 is a pretty good deal in that it shares the same tonearm, platter and drive system as the $600 Stanton DJ table and the ridiculously overpriced Denon anniversary table from a few years ago. 

Russ

Wayner

painted_klown

Thanks for your input guys.

There doesn't seem to be too much thought given to this particular table...probably for good reason, I am sure.

I was just thinking that ANY turntable is better than NO turntable, and I would at least be able to start listening, even if it wasn't necessarily with an "optimal" setup.
Then I could take my time, do some in depth reading/saving and buy a "real" table at a later date. Then the LP-60 could become my secondary table that I can use for cleaning records, or playing LPs that I fear may damage the cart/needle on my "real" table.

Additionally,  I don't have a phono pre, nor a receiver that has one built in, so that is another item I can save on (and research more) while I use the LP-60s built in stage with my receiver.

Am I not approaching this very well, or with a good train of thought?   :dunno: Perhaps I am just too married to the idea of jumping in "now" instead of having to wait. I get excited about gear, and sometimes make emotional purchases, instead of logical ones.   :wink: :P

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Hi PK,
Maybe it depends on how long you would have to wait.  Any money you spend now on a secondary table would come out of your funds for the main set-up?  Another option might be a used table/phono stage.  Yesterday I noticed a LP 60 on fleabey at $23 with around 9 hrs to go on auction.  There are decent phono stages for less than $200 new, so maybe used would help max the performance per dollar.  Used isn't for everybody, but if you're on a tight budget.....  You could also check your local classifieds like Craigslist.  If you need info about a specific piece, you could always check back here.
neo

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I'm sure that there are plenty of guys around AC with a spare turntable or two (or three or six).  I just moved three into a storage building yesterday. 
Several of us could set you up with a rig for $50- $100.  Stuff that I have that I'm not using include B&O, Dual, JVC, even an old Garrard transcription table.
Others will probably chime in as well.   

painted_klown

Thanks for the info Sclark. I didn't even think to try to find a used table on this site. I figure all the vinyl lovers wouldn't want to sell off their tables.  :P

Sadly, I just had a tire blow out on me today, so my funds are going to get sucked up and away to buy new tires for my car.  :(

Oh well, I will keep reading and learning in the meantime, and hopefully soon I will be able to pick up a table to get me started.