Outsourcing effects

rmurray

Outsourcing effects
« on: 10 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm »
  If Bryston ever(hope never) needs to send work to Asia I was wondering how that would impact repair work.? Would service continue locally for any warranty issues or refitting of older equipment.... :( :scratch: :

BrysTony

Re: Outsourcing effects
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2012, 11:44 pm »
Much ado about nothing.

Tony

spinner

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm »
  So you would like to send your amp around the world for service work.? Heaven help us then :lol:

rmurray

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2012, 11:51 pm »
 Ditto that.....+1 :thumb:

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2012, 11:56 pm »
Almost sent my 28's across Canada for a LED change but my dealer said they could do it here(Alberta),thus saving me a bit of money(more than a bit).
Not quite across the world,course there and back would probably do it .

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2012, 12:55 am »
I cannot cast aspersions because I, along with others, have started threads that have gone sideways and had to be removed, as was "Manufacturing Offshore" today. I couldn't foresee that it would happen, but nevertheless the the thread became unsustainable. I'm sorry I ever started it.

But with respect, this, too, is a thread that should be stopped before it turns bad. It is based on pure speculation and, like "Manufacturing Offshore," is likely to lead someone to be the means of starting a totally unfounded rumour that Bryston is moving some of its operations offshore. Unfortunately, our comments and threads can be selectively used, and what is posted on AC can spread elsewhere in ways never intended by those posting here. It is one of the downsides of the Internet.

I hope James will do with this thread what I urged him to do with the one I started.

Dave

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:02 am »
I cannot cast aspersions because I, along with others, have started threads that have gone sideways and had to be removed, as was "Manufacturing Offshore" today. I couldn't foresee that it would happen, but nevertheless the the thread became unsustainable. I'm sorry I ever started it.

But with respect, this, too, is a thread that should be stopped before it turns bad. It is based on pure speculation and, like "Manufacturing Offshore," is likely to lead someone to be the means of starting a totally unfounded rumour that Bryston is moving some of its operations offshore. Unfortunately, our comments and threads can be selectively used, and what is posted on AC can spread elsewhere in ways never intended by those posting here. It is one of the downsides of the Internet.

I hope James will do with this thread what I urged him to do with the one I started.

Dave

Agree 100%
Speculation just create rumours, which really serve no purpose other than to harm.

Added: Sony stopped taking care of customers' warranties themselves and outsourced the repairs.
I will no longer buy Sony products.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2012, 09:49 am by Elizabeth »

BrysTony

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:50 pm »
  So you would like to send your amp around the world for service work.? Heaven help us then :lol:

Spinner,
I did not say that at all.  You are worrying about something that is not likely to happen and further, something that you have absolutely no control over.  It is just a waste of time and energy.  Apple computers and iPhones do not have to go to China for service.  Thousands of products, mostly high volume are made in China.  Can you name one that must go back to China for service?

Tony

DaveNote

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2012, 07:26 pm »
Here is the proper and logical take on this thread:

If Bryston ever plans to send work to Mars, I wonder how that would impact repair work?

Would that mean that Bryston would then be compelled to get into the private spaceship business? Would it have to employ its own astronauts? Would the astronauts have to be Martian ones, or could Bryston save costs by employing ones nearer to Earth, such as can be found on the Moon?

Or is this going to mean that all future Bryston customers will be expected to drop their repair work off on Mars themselves? Or are they going to have to buy their own spaceships and learn how to operate them? Or are we going to have to hire our own astronauts, and will they have to be Martian, or can we use those lunar ones?

Really, people, is this, even in fun (which it isn't because as Elizabeth has noted, it could lead to unfounded rumours) what this forum is all about?

What next? Are we going to speculate about what happens if James were suddenly to become a lamp?

Would somebody, please, put this perhaps well-meaning, but absurd thread out of its, and our, misery!  :banghead:

Dave

spinner

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:16 pm »
  James , can you say anything about this?. I think that many members are worried about this issue. Taking it off the board is just putting your head in the sand . I resent flagging something that is a real world concern ;not just in audio but in our general future . If Bryston ever "goes" I understand the need but where goes the quality that we have come to know and love ?  I only ask the question, the answer remains the mystery. :scratch:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm »
  There's nothing absurd about this logical issue.. It is not a rumour but a "What If "question that some may  like to regard without prejudice.   :flak:

rmurray

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:35 pm »
  Exactly my thoughts. Thanks Redbook :thumb:

BrysTony

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:42 pm »
I pass.  <shaking my head>

Tony

rmurray

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:46 pm »
 :thankyou: :beer:

DaveNote

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:49 pm »
Redbook, I would agree with you entirely that, generally, speculative threads are OK and can be fun. Such as "What albums would you like to have with you on a deserted island." No problem for me.

I disagree about "what if" threads being purely benign, or useful, when the basic premise points to a specific person or company, in this case Bryston. As Elizabeth has noted, on the Internet, these kinds of threads, unintentionally, could spread unwarranted rumours. What if Spinner had decided to ask a different question, such as, what if Bryston were to go bankrupt? If picked up as a rumour, that could have serious consequences.

Spinner says that not pursuing this topic is like putting one's head in the sand. Really? This reminds me of the fable where certain farm animals conjured up a reason to be terrified about the sky falling. The problem with "what if the sky falls" threads is that, like the rumour spread by those farm animals is that others ended up being fearful and concerned based on...well, absolutely nothing.

I don't like heavy-handed censorship on forums. Quite the contrary. But there is an obligation for those to post to be as responsible as possible in considering the potential consequences of their threads. I already have admitted that I have been guilty of not sufficiently thinking through the possible untoward directions my thread on manufacturing offshore might take.

But the decision really is up to James. I have concerns, as does Elizabeth, but if James does not share them, then that's it. And I can go take a nap.

Dave

spinner

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:53 pm »
  James, tell me this is a non issue so we can all nap. :sleep:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:53 pm »
Actually, as Bryston is only a couple of hours away, it gives me great peace of mind knowing that if my amplifiers ever require servicing - I can personally drive them back to Peterborough.

:thumb:

Be well...

spinner

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:55 pm »
 But what if they weren't.....? :cry:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:02 pm »

Personally, I would be worried sick if I had to ship them for service - I have had a few very awful experiences with shipping companies.

Be well...

DaveNote

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:03 pm »

I should give this a pass, as did BrysTony, but Spinner, I just don't get it. Bryston, today, without any "What ifs" or speculation, is an international company. Presumably this means that most of its customers do not live within a car's drive of Peterborough. I certainly don't. Or the guy in Kenya with a 7B doesn't. So what's the point of the question, or, for that matter, this thread?   :banghead: