Bravo DVD Player

drunkonjack

Bravo DVD Player
« on: 6 Jun 2004, 08:23 pm »
Has anyone used this player ? I'm looking at the new D2 with DVI . Seems like a realy good price $250 with free shipping. Or should I stay clear of this model ? Thanks to all for your help :P  :beer:  :drums:

Also what is a good dvi cable or are they all the same ? I'm looking for a long run about 5 meter.

Jon L

D2
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2004, 11:43 pm »
Quote from: drunkonjack
Has anyone used this player ? I'm looking at the new D2 with DVI . Seems like a realy good price $250 with free shipping. Or should I stay clear of this model ? Thanks to all for your help :P  :beer:  :drums:

Also what is a good dvi cable or are they all the same ? I'm looking for a long run about 5 meter.

There's a couple of fresh threads going on avsforum.com.

From what I can gather, many are reporting D2 might be the same player as current Momitsu (rebadge).  Also as expected if this is the case (with all the updated firmware for Momitsu), D2 is being reported to have fewer operational problems than D1 (except for a few who are having some problems with D2 for unclear reasons).  

The Panny S97 and new Samsung 941 are on the near horizon (reportedly few weeks for Panny), so perhaps one might want to wait another few weeks for things to shake out...

james_b

Thumbs up on the Bravo
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2004, 02:34 am »
If you are looking for a DVI player the Bravo would be good, but may have some quirks, however for the price and performance it is a bargain. I have had the D1 for about 6 months and it balks occassionally but otherwise plays well and delivers an outstanding picture over DVI to my Panasonic L300U front projector upconverted to wide 768. The D1 performed poorly over component, but the D2 is so new it has not been reviewed for component. But if you want DVI, why care about component.
For an outstanding DVI cable (5m) go to Accessories4Less.com and get an IXOS cable. It has great shielding like most of the better cables and is dual link, but most importantly uses PC copper. I could not find any other DVI cables that used PC copper or CCC copper. Go to the IXOS website and read up on PC copper, they have pictures showing the large grain structure and explaining the benefits. I got one recently to replace the stock DVI cord that came with my HDTV receiver and it made a noticeable difference. Definitely brighter, I need to recalibrate with my AVIA DVD now. I also think the colors are brighter and the picture is more detailed.