medium jim

Are you High Passing?
« on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:00 am »
If so, how or by what source?

Jim

roscoeiii

Re: Are you High Passing?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:12 am »
I have done both high passing and forgone it. Depends on your amp and speakers. If the speakers naturally roll off in a way that integrates well with your subs and don't had impaired performance as a result of having full range bass, then no high pass is needed. Assuming of course that your amp also handles the bass well and isn't underpowered due to the bass demands of your mains. In such cases I would recommend a REL with its excellent speaker level connection that integrates the sub and main superbly.

On the other hand, some speakers and amps dont fit the above description, in which case a high pass makes great sense. My best experience with a high pass was with the now discontinued NHT X2.

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:18 am »
What about subs that only have low pass filtering?  In my case, use a high pass filter between the sub and the mains and it works nicely.  Are there other ways to do it?

Jim

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:39 am »
When I had subs that only had low pass filtering, I used the NHT X2. IIRC, when I was researching this a few years ago, this seemed a much better option than the RCA high pass filters that are sold.

At present,  I think that there may be DSP solutions like the AntiMode (?) that could provide the X2's functionality as well as DSP possibilities that could help minimize room nodes.

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »
When I had subs that only had low pass filtering, I used the NHT X2. IIRC, when I was researching this a few years ago, this seemed a much better option than the RCA high pass filters that are sold.

At present,  I think that there may be DSP solutions like the AntiMode (?) that could provide the X2's functionality as well as DSP possibilities that could help minimize room nodes.

Thanks....while I love my subs, they're only Low-Passed and I'm using High-Pass Filters between the subs and the mains, it sounds great to my ears.  Still would like to know more options to ponder.

Jim

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:54 am »
And does your amp not have the power to drive your mains full range, do your mains sound much better with a high pass, or do the mains and sub(s) not integrate well without being high passed? It is that hand-off from mains to sub integration that is tricky for sure, though subs do give you so much more flexibility for integrating bass into your room thanks to the added placement flexibility.

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:56 am »
The mains sound much better high-passed.  The fact that it makes them easier to drive is an added bonus.  Even better is the overall sub/main integration.

Jim

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:25 am »

The mains sound much better high-passed.  The fact that it makes them easier to drive is an added bonus.  Even better is the overall sub/main integration.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 is what roscoeiii was referring to. You can do High and Low pass filtering, slope adjustments, subsonic filtering, and fix all room nodes up to 500hz. With the D/C 2.0 and a short amount of time your speaker and sub integration will be flawless.

Take some time and check out the D/C 2.0, for $1200.00 this thing is one awesome product.

http://www.dspeaker.com/

No I'm not a dealer, just a very happy and enthused owner. :D

Chris 

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:33 am »
I believe that there is also a cheaper DSPeaker product (~$300) that came out earlier that is just for subs. Not sure if it has the high pass filter or not...

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:39 am »
Rodge:

I must be a victim of divine intervention as when I borrowed my friends tone test cd I had a nearly flat room down to 28hz, 6db roll off @ 20hz which is pretty good as my subs are rated to 27hz.

Measurements taken from a Radio Shack digital spl meter at the listening position. 

Jim