Audience A3 drivers

Blackmore

Audience A3 drivers
« on: 1 Sep 2012, 02:26 pm »
Randy brought over a little "test mule" speaker stuffed with the Audience A3 driver and a passive radiator.  We had a great time listening to them by themselves and also augmented with the bass cabs of the Innersounds.  Tenacious D was pretty funny.  "I checked your dipstick, you need lubrication, honey  Here are a few shots for BISL and the rest of yo'uns.

The little Audience drivers are pretty interesting.  This test box is basically an Audience "The One"  and I thought it did pretty well in the big front room.  My 4.5 watts int 16 ohm driver worked better than you think, but adding the big ESL amp was more better.  Had to be careful...definitely NOT rated for 300 watts. We were able to get some decent volume when the little 3" driver was relieved of bass duty.  I think I would like to see this driver coupled with a second rear firing A3 and another passive.  Sort of like Audience's 2+2 cut in half.   Add a little more air.  Anyhoo, lots of fun even if it did take Randy almost two hours to get here because of the rain and St. Louis drivers.   :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Audience A3 drivers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2012, 04:16 pm »
Randy, like.....Randy:o

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2012, 04:21 pm »
Yes, Randy is back in action. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2012, 04:36 pm »
Are there stories from his journey into and back from the darkside, or will I (we) just have to wait to see him again?  :lol:

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2012, 05:52 pm »
Cool, so where do they roll off on the top side?

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2012, 06:27 pm »
I seem to remember in Stereophile that they started to head south around 15 k but Audience website shows them flat to 20.  They don't have as much top end as my Pm6a but were fast sounding. That's why I'm thinking a rear driver might be good to fill the room better. You'd like them Scott

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2012, 06:38 pm »
Power handling: 20 watts RMS/40 watts program/60 watts max • VCdia: 1" • Le: 0.03 mH • Impedance: 16 ohms •
Re: 13 ohms • Frequency response: 40-22,000 Hz • Fs: 70 Hz • SPL: 84.9 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 0.11 cu. ft. • Qms: 1.18 • Qes: 0.52 • Qts: 0.36 • Xmax: 12 mm

OUCH :o

Maybe an open baffle line array of 4 or 5 with a big 'ol 15 in a vented box on the bottom. That might be kinda cool :thumb:
Only trouble is they aren't available any more :duh: ...at least from PE

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2012, 10:55 pm »
Good to hear Randy is back & getting creative.

What type of hi-tech cabinet-to-stand coupling devices are the new speakers using?  They appear highly absorbent and perfect for the roof leak my place is experiencing thanks to the deluge this weekend.   

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm »
It was allot of fun and these things are really good for their size and sensitivity... They do not sound small at all and will be awesome in a dipole configuration along with dial passive radiators...

And PE stopped selling them as they didn't sell many as not allot of people like 185 dollar 3 inch drivers...lol...

I can get them soon once their inventory comes in...

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm »
Good to hear Randy is back & getting creative.

What type of hi-tech cabinet-to-stand coupling devices are the new speakers using?  They appear highly absorbent and perfect for the roof leak my place is experiencing thanks to the deluge this weekend.

Took over a year hiatus after some major personal life changes... but now I finally have backing as the guys I have been working for are partnering with me to start Randall K Designer HiFi... allot of fun stuff coming along with a dealer network established etc... I sign the legal paperwork this week etc....

And the towel movement will revolutionize audio as we know it....    :green:
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2012, 01:26 am by Hebrew Hammer »

gooberdude

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm »
Well, well...  Look what the cat dragged in.     :lol:

Welcome back buddy, keep 'em coming.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm »
http://www.randall-k.com/

I'll keep an eye on it Randy.  :thumb:

Glad to have you back buddy. Looking forward to shaking your hand again.

Bob

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:04 am »
I seem to remember in Stereophile that they started to head south around 15 k but Audience website shows them flat to 20.

Here is Vance Diskason's FR measure from his review of the A3 in Voice Coil magazine

dave

Blackmore

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:27 am »
Thanks or the graphs Dave. I'll look for that review. 

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:37 am »
my only gripe at all is that peak around 8k...

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:38 am »
Well, well...  Look what the cat dragged in.     :lol:

Welcome back buddy, keep 'em coming.

Thanks brother... fun will be had soon

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:38 am »
http://www.randall-k.com/

I'll keep an eye on it Randy.  :thumb:

Glad to have you back buddy. Looking forward to shaking your hand again.

Bob

Hell, I look forward to laughing like school girls all night with yeah.....  :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:48 am »
I was doing some research on these last week.

The old batch sold out, but Audience has a small handful of used drivers that they are selling off cheap. I almost bought some, but I backed out when I found out about the new drivers. The new drivers are called S2 and have appeared in trade shows this summer in the big flagship 16+16 Mark II. I don't know if new drivers will be in stock at PE, but I hope so. I don't know what the differences are to the old ones. I think the Mark2 larger speakers also have larger woofers added for the bass.

That resonance peak at 8k is supposedly the one that needs taming, and there is a series notch design for it on the net somewhere on a diy forum. Search Audience A3.

Along with the Mark2 big boys, there is also a new small speaker called 1+1, which debuted in CA show this summer. It has an active drivers front and rear which eliminated baffle step dip, plus twin PRs on the sides. The PRs are standard part from PE, Peerless 830878.  The PR used on the 2+2 is a custom part.

I heard The One and the 2+2 at Axpona Atlanta 2011. They sound great.
Rich

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:59 am »
Thanks for the info Rich..... John and the boys at Audience are a great group of guys... their cables are incredible to....

My Aeronaut loudspeakers will be a 1+1 on steroids and my Calypso loudspeakers will push that even further with the A's and no baffle AE 15's

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2012, 02:32 am »
Will you be at RMAF?