KR Audio value

jostber

KR Audio value
« on: 1 Sep 2012, 05:13 am »
The KR Audio tubes are some beautiful looking tubes, and they should sound very good as their prices are very high. All tubes are handmade, like in this video: http://www.tubedepot.com/kr.html

Anyone tried these and can report of their quality versus value?

SET Man

Re: KR Audio value
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:38 am »
Hey!

They are beautiful indeed. The weight, feel, fit and finish is excellent. Extremely well made for sure. I've been using their tubes since 1999 when I bought my SET amps.

I have a pair of Welborne Labs Apollo 1.5 of which were designed around the KR Audio 300BXLS and the later 842VHD tube putting out 18 w/ch.

Yes, I like the sound and maybe that's why I still have these amps in today after all these years. I am on my second pair of the KR tube now. Those tubes have been reliable and seems to last.

The downside of those KR's tubes is the price. Believe it or not, when I bought those amps back in 1999 a pair of KR 300BXLS cost $475! Now a pair will set you back almost $1200... Ouch! I have no idea that they would cost this much now when I bought my amps back then.  :x So are they a good value? Well, that is up to you to decide. But I have to say if you are talking about 300B I would definitely put the KR's 300B on the list.

Since these amps are designed to run at higher voltage with these specific type of tube there are not many other that I just can pop them in place of these KR Audio. The only alternative that I think should work is form Emission Labs, looks well made also and cheaper too but haven't try them yet.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

h00hbt

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2012, 06:46 am »
Hi

I use the KR 45´s, 2A3´s, 300B and 300BXLS. I also have many other old production and new production tubes of the same type in my collection. My experience with KR tubes is that they are in many ways are superior to anything else I have in my collection. The sound they convay is full bodied and balanced from the high to the low frequencies. The sound is clean, tight, and airy with quick responce (attack).

You mention the price, and yes, they are a bit pricey but as you also mention, they are 100% hand made. The production is limited for each batch type and the high QC selection for "only perfect tubes for sale" counts for the sales price. It´s as with all things in life, -you get what you pay for. Buying cheap machine made mass produced tubes with low QC usually gives a bad result.

Cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2012, 07:49 am »
I rely on Guiguang 300B, but if I feel rich I could buy from Emission Labs, its site is useful, fully informative about his tubes.
If you unaware this topic you will like the post #14 from Quiet Earth:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106883.0

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:14 pm »
h00hbt,

Have you compared the same KR tube with an EML in a single ended application? If yes, could you describe the differences? I am always interested in the standard 300B.

Jostber,

I saw your other post asking about 211 recommendations. I wanted to reply but I don't have very much experience with that tube. Which 211 amp are you using?

h00hbt

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:54 pm »
h00hbt,

Have you compared the same KR tube with an EML in a single ended application? If yes, could you describe the differences? I am always interested in the standard 300B.

Yes, I have both KR and EML 300B and 300BXLS. I use them in SE amp. I find the KR tubes are more balanced and tighter, and have deeper bass. In the mids and heights they are almost the same. Maybe the KR´s are also a bit more detailed too. EML tubes are great tubes but my ears like KR a tad better. The EML 300BXLS are much bigger than the KR 300BXLS, enormous.

Cheers

jostber

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2012, 09:55 am »
h00hbt,

Jostber,

I saw your other post asking about 211 recommendations. I wanted to reply but I don't have very much experience with that tube. Which 211 amp are you using?

I have this British amp "Transcription Audio 211 Heaven" which is modeled on the Ongaku:

56oval

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2012, 10:14 am »
Hi
Have been using KR's for awhile now ,bought a pair of EAT's nice but I prefer the KR's . Building an active speaker using 300B SET's with the KR 300B .
Not the cheapest tubes out there but I like the build quality of the tube.

Cheers

jostber

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2012, 10:34 am »
Thanks for your replies. A pair of the KR 211s looks very tempting to get.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2012, 02:55 pm »
Oh man, I'm getting the itch to try the KRs now . . . I should have bought a pair when they were cheaper. Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda......  :D

Hey jostber,

I think you should buy a pair of GEs right now, and then buy a pair of KRs a couple of months from now. That way you can compare the two of them for us. Plus, you will have a nice back up set either way it turns out.  :thumb: 

jostber

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2012, 08:22 pm »
And what about the German Erlog tubes? :) Just read about them now. Seems to be the cream of the crop.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2012, 09:46 pm »
And what about the German Erlog tubes? :) Just read about them now. Seems to be the cream of the crop.
Any link to Erlog site or review??

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2012, 10:19 pm »
I have a pair of KR 300B XLS from the late 90's... Extremely Robust tube, heavy glass & huge vacuum, built like a tank... no issues whatsoever...

Sounds great (but I use as a back-up to my WE 300B's)...

KR tubes are very high quality...

My $0.02,
Pete

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2012, 11:48 pm »
Yes, I have both KR and EML 300B and 300BXLS. I use them in SE amp. I find the KR tubes are more balanced and tighter, and have deeper bass. In the mids and heights they are almost the same. Maybe the KR´s are also a bit more detailed too. EML tubes are great tubes but my ears like KR a tad better. The EML 300BXLS are much bigger than the KR 300BXLS, enormous.

Cheers

Hey!

That's good to know. I was wondering about the EML's version.

As for the price of KR tube. I have to say that if I knew back then before I bought my amp that they will be this much today I might not have bought them  :?

But then very time I turn them on I forget the price of those and enjoyment music. It had been over 12 years now. So, I have to say that they are worth.  Definitely not a cheaply made tubes dressed up in a pretty box for sure.

I'm listening to them right now actually. Well, good to know that they are other KR tubes users here also.  :D

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

PS

I do have a brand new pair of the current version of the 842VHD sitting in my closet that I bought before the price went up.  :wink: I put 50hrs on them and they seem OK. Well, they are now past their warranty now  :roll:

jostber

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2012, 05:58 am »
Any link to Erlog site or review??

It should be the Elrog tubes. :) Here is a review:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/elrog/1.html

They seem to have started production for the Hifi market quite recently, and some amp manufacturers like Voxativ are using their tubes.  Some of the workers have experience from working at Telefunken some years back. These are not cheap: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/70379.html

The German web site:

http://www.elrog.com/

Voxativ amp:

http://www.voxativ.com/eng/content.php?p=dat/05-Electronics/The%20Vox%20Mono%20Amp

jostber

« Reply #16 on: 4 Sep 2012, 02:28 pm »

56oval

« Reply #17 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:12 pm »
Its a cool looking tube  :thumb:

Cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:58 pm »
It should be the Elrog tubes. :) Here is a review:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/elrog/1.html

They seem to have started production for the Hifi market quite recently, and some amp manufacturers like Voxativ are using their tubes.  Some of the workers have experience from working at Telefunken some years back. These are not cheap: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/7/70379.html

The German web site:

http://www.elrog.com/

Voxativ amp:

http://www.voxativ.com/eng/content.php?p=dat/05-Electronics/The%20Vox%20Mono%20Amp
Thanks for inform.
The Voxativ site inform the Elrog CNC milled graphite plate is a new feature in tube manufacturing, maybe they unaware the Russian GM70(845 substitute) are using milled graphite plates for over 50 years without blowing the horn.
Distinctive feature of this tube is a CNC-milled graphite anode - the first major innovation in tube technology since 80 years.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2012, 12:28 am by FULLRANGEMAN »