Sansui 7070 & More

bside123

Sansui 7070 & More
« on: 1 Sep 2012, 01:00 am »
Hi,

I've got an opportunity to purchase a Sansui 7070 receiver this weekend. Any comments, whatsoever, regarding this particular receiver would be appreciated: SQ, Reliability, Price Range, What to Look For, etc. Thanks everybody.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2012, 12:12 am by bside123 »

AVnerdguy

Re: Sansui 7070
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2012, 01:54 am »
Great units. Easy to service and parts readily available. Have done many of the X0X0 series Sansuis and love to work on them because of the nice design.  Heavy duty power
supply, decent tuner and phono pre(s). Weak points - bad solder joints on the display fuse clip style lamp holders. Odd 7V lamps so you have to order online as Radio Snacks
won't have them. NBD - just annoying. If it needs power supply electrolytics you will have to search because no generic sub from DigiKey or MCM will fit in a small space -
typical Japanese style - big capacitance and high voltage in a small can. Good news is that they are very conservative designs and even after 25 years they still meet specs
when I measure them. I "reform" them but haven't had to replace unless specifically requested by owner. A few small electrolytics can go bad but are easy to find - get
noisy/hissy if in the audio path or the case gets hot to the touch is they are in the voltage rails. I can tell you which ones to look for if you want to replace them.
Schematic is available online or I can email it to you.

They go for $75 - $300 depending on condition. Cheesy pressboard wood grain case is easily chipped or peeling - and falls apart with age. Have one made from solid materials
and stain

Good luck with your purchase - if it falls through let me know...I just happen to have one......

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2012, 11:51 am »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2012, 03:14 pm »
you may also wanna post this query over on audiokarma.org - a lot of wintage fanatics over there...

doug s.

bside123

Re: Sansui 7070 & More
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:30 am »

This weekend's used gear finds:

1) Technics A10 DVD-A Player - Unfortunately needs a remote for programming. I'm currently on the look out. Heavy built chassis, solid transport and big power supply. Predates Universal Players and ultimately succumbed to the SACD format. Circa 2000. CD section sounds pretty darn good. Can be output to an external DAC. Original retail price $1,000 in 1999-2000. I paid $10.00  :o

2) Sansui 7070 Receiver - 60 WPC. In good shape. Everything works, but the unit needs a good cleaning and calibrating. I believe this was a good score at $75.00

3) Marantz 2020 Receiver - 50 WPC. In decent shape. Power switch is funky and works intermittently. Needs lamps, cleaning and calibrating. Was found in the trash, AND it DOES turn on and play... when it wants to, and it wasn't cooperating for the photo op.  :thumb:

Looks like I got some projects on my hands.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:50 am »
Cool stuff Din check out the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-Power-Switch-TOP-QUALITY-receivers-amps-etc-OEM-/350544956710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519e1b8d26

I think you were thinking too much about the 7070 which Marantz is it
2250 maybe ??

bside123

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2012, 12:54 am »
Thanks for the tip, Bill!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2012, 01:04 am »
Din I did a power switch on a Marantz but the silver button doesn't
fit snug a little silicone and it's been humming along. The major lights
are a fuse type lamp which can be purchased all over ebay. Not sure
of the voltage but that will be easy to find out on the net. Don't be
afraid to change out the lamps just pop them out like a fuse and replace.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108032.0

Have fun I love vintage gear.......Bill