CD Transports

mpa350z

CD Transports
« on: 31 Aug 2012, 09:27 pm »
I am currently using a decent but old Pioneer DVD-CD player for my CD listening.  I recently bought a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC at a great price, and now I am thinking I might want to upgrade the DVD-CD player.   I am looking in the $400 to $500 range, but would really like to get the Musical Fidelity - M1 CDT CD Transport.

Question

In my research there seems to be an abundance of DACS made now in virtually any price range but manufactures do not make any CD transports, except for maybe the upper price range.  Would it not be economical for manufactures to build some CD transports instead of building complete CD players with built in DACs?

srb

Re: CD Transports
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2012, 08:49 am »
Would it not be economical for manufactures to build some CD transports instead of building complete CD players with built in DACs?

My guess would be no.  CD transports have always had a small niche market share, and as sales of CD players decrease, sales of universal players, music servers and streamers are increasing.  Musical Fidelity is likely expecting that the majority of sales of the M1 CDT transport will be to those wanting to combine it with the matching form factor M1 DAC that can be placed side by side in a standard 17" component space.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2012, 09:20 am »
Overall CDP sales are way down with download trend, so CD transport would be an even smaller market niche.  I've had to throw out a CDP and a DVD I was using as transports so far this year after they stopped working and am on my last CDP.  When it dies I'm going back to the computer route (had a Squeeze Box that software glitches).

OTOH you could pick up a DVD and have it all.  Highly recommend looking into the Oppo 93 ($500).  It plays everything and you can even stream through it.  The 93 gets overlooked versus the 95 ($1000) but I believe it has the same transport/video performance without a fan and when you get the itch for more send it here for mods:

http://www.upgradecompany.com/

Kim S.

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2012, 09:22 am »
I just bought a transport the Aune Cyclone from Pacific Valve.  I just got it but I like what I hear so far.  It cost $900.  They sell another model, the Lite 21 for $1200.  I've used DVD/CD players for years as tranports.  The result was good but like all consumer electronics they are eventually break down and they become very difficult or impossible to fix.  I thought the Cyclone was simple enough to swap out whatever breaks down down the road.

Audiogon sells used transports but I'm very wary about any used digital gear.  Just my thoughts

tomytoons

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2012, 11:50 am »
I am looking at transports too. I like the Aune, it's 20lbs and has a  very sturdy case, top load with slide cover. I don't like the completely removable covers on some top loaders like the Raysonics I had. You have a tendency to drop them.
I would eliminate the Musical Fidelity transport it's only 7 lbs and especially because of the "slot drive" mechanism. I always hated the rotten slot drives on Apple Computers.
The Aune is out of stock right now for three weeks you must have got the last one.
I will probably order this and just wait.

ponger

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2012, 01:43 pm »
Has anyone tried the Woo Audio WTP-1?

DavidS

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2012, 02:27 pm »
I bought a Hifidiy.net CDPro2 transport last winter.  Wanted a top loader, really liked the Audio Note transport but going with the cdpro2 saved me thousands.  Have it paired with a Lampizator dac and very happy with combo.  No problems and big upgrade over the dac and Oppo as transport.  Haven't done close comparisons but computer with JRiver and dac is about the same.  The Woo was just coming out when I purchased and thought seriously about going with the Woo - just a bit more expensive and there really was no reviews or information.

Kim S.

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2012, 01:55 pm »
I am looking at transports too. I like the Aune, it's 20lbs and has a  very sturdy case, top load with slide cover. I don't like the completely removable covers on some top loaders like the Raysonics I had. You have a tendency to drop them.
I would eliminate the Musical Fidelity transport it's only 7 lbs and especially because of the "slot drive" mechanism. I always hated the rotten slot drives on Apple Computers.
The Aune is out of stock right now for three weeks you must have got the last one.
I will probably order this and just wait

I don't know if you have contacted Pacific Valve directly but their web site before said they were out of stock in error.  When I contacted them by phone they said they had them.

Alan UK

• AudioChews
« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2012, 10:07 am »
I found a Pioneer stable platter CDP made an excellent transport for very little outlay - there are loads on the bay of fleas. Try to get one with RCA digital outputs though, I never have found optical to be quite as satisfactory. They are every bit as good as a TEAC VRDS, but way cheaper.

Also, the old Cambridge Audio Discmagic transport was very good indeed (it contained seperated transformers and power supplies IIRC), it sounded indistinguishable to to the Pioneer to me.

The thing is, good performance is available for little cost; why pay out for technology that is dying out? The fact it is in decline explains why so much good gear is available second hand.

I moved to computer audio, which involved ripping my existing CD collection and I am so glad I did. I find it not only very convenient but superior in SQ terms also.