A preamp at a budget

youra6

A preamp at a budget
« on: 30 Aug 2012, 05:01 pm »
Hey guys!,

Long time lurker!

Wondering what are some decent options in the 200-250ish range for a decent stereo/multichannel preamp? I'm looking at something used, and even some Vintage stuff would be okay.

Thanks!

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: A preamp at a budget
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2012, 06:20 pm »
i like tubes, but i am not sure what decent tube preamp you can find at this price range.  so, i will suggest the audio alchemy dlc - a really nice sounding preamp, w/remote control and 4 inputs.

not mine, but this is what they look like:

doug s.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2012, 07:14 pm »
Hey guys!,

Long time lurker!

Wondering what are some decent options in the 200-250ish range for a decent stereo/multichannel preamp? I'm looking at something used, and even some Vintage stuff would be okay.

Thanks!

How many inputs? Passive or amplified a bit?

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2012, 07:18 pm »
You're in luck!  I've had this listed in the trading post for a while, and it's still available:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107878.0

I can provide more info and/or pics if you're interested.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2012, 07:53 pm »
How many inputs? Passive or amplified a bit?
fwiw, the a/a dlc is passive, then goes to active at higher gain...

doug s.

passingthrough

• "An audiophile and his money are soon parted."
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2012, 10:13 pm »
Good vintage suggestion on the Audio Alchemy, especially if you need remote control.  I've got the AA Digital Line Controller and Power Station 3 just like the set posted above (except my power supply LED still works).  Really hard to find a good stereo preamp with remote at a better price.  It has 4 inputs and remembers the volume for each channel per input, and is programmable so you can set the # of inputs you want to cycle through, the volume display scheme, etc.

Mine is off duty, replaced by a Matrix Mini-i with upgraded opamps as I wanted to go balanced with DAC and preamp in one unit, but I can't bring myself to part with the AA because it's such a versatile and solid unit.

I'd say first decide what you want and then you'll get suggestions that are more likely to be appropriate for you.  Do you need a multi-channel preamp or a stereo preamp?  Do you need remote volume?  How many inputs?  Phone stage? Etc...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm »
Passive stepped attenuators by Scott Endler sell for less than that new.  For best results connect at power amp inputs.  No remote, no switching, purist/hairshirt approach.

Channel Island Audio sells a passive preamp (no remote) with two inputs for $300, but impedance of downstream interconnects must be considered for best results.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2012, 11:42 pm »
Passive stepped attenuators by Scott Endler sell for less than that new.  For best results connect at power amp inputs.  No remote, no switching, purist/hairshirt approach.

Channel Island Audio sells a passive preamp (no remote) with two inputs for $300, but impedance of downstream interconnects must be considered for best results.

Tubes or SS?

brooklyn

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2012, 12:34 am »
Year's ago I owned a Conrad Johnson pv2ar tube preamp. If you like your system to be on the
warm or tubey side you might want to give it (or one from that time period) a try, and its vintage.
You could team that up with a multi channel amp, just an option.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2012, 01:16 am »
You could probably find a Counterpoint SA-7.1 for under $300.  That's a decent sounding tube pre.  Don't know exactly what you need when you say "stereo/multichannel" though.  Do you need HT processing?

youra6

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:07 am »
Not sure if passive is for me. I don't know if the outward impedance is low enough. I will using it to connect to a UPA-2 Emotiva amp.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm mainly looking for a stereo pre. If the budget allows it, I can do one that processes 5 or 7 channels. But I rather have a solid stereo preamp than an so-so 7.1 pre.

I'll check out some of the options you guys gave me. Thanks!

youra6

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:26 am »
Sorry for the Dp,  couldn't find the "Edit" button.

I had a few offers: I have some Onix speakers, but not heard of these preamps.

Onix A-55 for ~350
Onix A120 ~275

They both are the very limit of my budget, and Google really didn't provide too much info on the A-55

Any thoughts?

WC

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2012, 04:15 am »
Used Adcoms are available in the price range.

usp1

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:51 pm »
I could be convinced to part with a Cary/AES AE3 tubed preamp. This is an excellent budget tube preamp....but no remote.

youra6

« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2012, 03:15 am »
Is the AE3/AES MKII a DIY kit from Cary?

usp1

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2012, 03:23 am »
It was available as a kit as well as factory built I believe. The one I have, I was told, was factory built. The insides look very well done. I am not the first owner maybe not even the second. It uses ^sn7 tubes which make for a terrific midrange.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2012, 03:02 pm »
Decent things have been written here about the HLLY pre amp...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400088510114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And I love my AA DLC, but they tend to go for more than $250.

youra6

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2012, 05:24 pm »
Decent things have been written here about the HLLY pre amp...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400088510114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

And I love my AA DLC, but they tend to go for more than $250.

Thanks I'll check it out.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2012, 06:36 am »
I'd consider Acurus & B&K stuff, all good made in the USA stuff. 

In Acurus an L10 or R11. Both line stages, the first w/ out remote is probably less than $150, the second with remote probably more like $250+, so probably at the top of your budget. Don't see any out there at moment, but they do pop up from time to time.

As for B&K, the old Pro-5 is musical & has a phono stage and probably not more than $100 - $125 : I still have one of these & I don't get rid of it because it comes in handy some times & worth to little to get rid of it.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-B-K-Pro-5-Pre-amp-/271047988980?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3f1bb816f4

I doubt anyone is going to bid, so it will probably go for $75.

Also thinking laterally as well: many higher end processors go for next to nothing.  Even Anthem's AVM 20's are sometimes just barely hitting $300 on Ebay. 

In B&K, e.g., see Reference 20's & 30's:

Only $59 BUY IT NOW - 5 channel preamp out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-REFERENCE-20-DD-DTS-PREAMPLIFIER-PROCESSOR-/380466340218?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item58958fa17a

Getting more expensive at $125 BUY IT NOW - 7 channel preamp out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-Reference-30-Processor-DD-DTS-7-1-/360485470020?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item53ee9bbf44

Either will do the basic Dolby Digital / DTS though obviously not DD True HD + DTS-HD.

If they sound as decent as the Pro 5 I have, these are an incredible deal.  If I didn't have so much stuff I'd buy one for laughs.

persisting1

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2012, 07:00 am »