Any Emotiva fans in here?

pureiso

Any Emotiva fans in here?
« on: 30 Aug 2012, 02:14 pm »
I have been looking at all the amplifiers that they sell at an extremely competitive price and want to know if anyone in here has some experience with them?

I own the Ultra 12 subwoofer, so I can say I am definitely a fan of their products.  Also, I have yet to see a single review that was not glowing.  I know it is not tubes or esoteric in any way, but it just seems to give extremely high watts without any real distortion, well below what anyone else is offering.

What do you guys think?  I may just have to pick up that mini-X amp...

Early B.

Re: Any Emotiva fans in here?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:24 pm »
I own the mini-X amp, the XPA-3, the UPA-2, and the UMC-1. Great products, especially for HT. I haven't found anything out there that's better, even well beyond the price. Emotiva has exceptional customer service, too.

usp1

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:51 pm »
They are great products for the price. I own their lpa-1 and have owned their mps-1, xpa-2 amps and usp-1 preamp. Excellent products for HT. I find that they are not as refined for two channel music as some of the other amps I own...Mccormack Dna-1 and Odyssey stratos monos. The later two are of course a bit more expensive but good deals can be had on the used market.

bakufu

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:53 pm »
i'm using their power cords throughout my system.  well-made, flexible, reasonably priced, and they sound at least as good as anything else i've tried. 

RodneyM

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:23 pm »
I currently have the XPA-2 and it sounds really good. It is a great amp for the money. The big problem is that my Martin Logan Odyssey speakers tax them out and it is easy to force this amp into safe mode. To be fair, these speakers are notorious for over driving an amplifier due to the low impedance swings / dips. I hope to try the Emotiva XPA1 mono blocks next. In the meantime I just try to keep the volume at a safe listening level. It is just so tempting to turn the volume up especially when things start to really sound great. That’s when this amp goes into safe mode. This can happen with the preamp volume at just over 1/4 from zero. I expected a little more.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:27 pm »
I have the ERC-2 and it is an astounding player for the money. I also had an ERC-1, and an XDA-1 dac. Great company, look forward to adding more pieces here and there.

For a beginner, they are the place to be if you want both high quality and a warranty. The high resale value (read, people value Emotiva gear) also makes the gear an excellent jumping off point to higher places.

They go all out to give you a nice experience, even the all metal remotes are something off the starship enterprise.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:43 pm »
I'll be purchasing UMC-1 (later upgraded to an XMC-1), UPA-500 and UPA-200 to set me off in my 7 channel HT system. Then when I have time, I will build a 3 channel Hypex UCD180HG w/HxR amplifier and a 4 channel Hypex UCD180ST surround amplifier. Emotiva as others have said is a great stepping stone...

Best,
Anand.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:57 pm »
Anand I was thinking the very same thing for my HT. I like how we both place less emphasis on it versus the stereo   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:59 pm »
I have the DAC I purchased when it initially came out in the secondary basement system.  Very impressive build quality and sound for the money.

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2012, 09:12 pm »
I agree with USP1 they are a little rough sounding when compared to some more refined amps, but they are good value.
They also don't have as much presence as the refined amps and for me, that's what separates the truly high end amps from the pretenders. 

jeffh

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2012, 12:09 am »
I have a XDA-1 DAC...very happy with it.

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2012, 12:09 am »
I have an XPA-2 for my fronts and an XPA-5 for my center and surrounds.  For my needs currently, they are the best overall sounding amps I have ever owned or was very closely familiar (meaning, having more than a casual listen to them...).  That said, I am building a pair of nCore mono's and I really look forward to the comparison (running through my Maggie 1.7's).

Mark

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2012, 12:21 am »
I have the XPA-1 Mono blocks for my front/main speakers. Have pretty much been rock solid (had a scare yesterday, but resolved it fairly easily) for the year and half or so I have had them.

They may not be the last word in musicality, but have great weight and authority. I get a decent soundstage from them. Have never felt like the amps are being taxed to their limit, which is very comforting (I hate clipping amps - sure way to destroy speakers). Fantastic for HT.

INCREDIBLE value!  :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2012, 12:44 am »
In the market for DAC and waiting to see additional information on the XDA2 over the next month or so.  Would like to leverage the preamp functionality.

mrhyfy

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2012, 01:19 am »
In the market for DAC and waiting to see additional information on the XDA2 over the next month or so.  Would like to leverage the preamp functionality.

+1,,and I'm really interested in the dac pro! Any info from anyone??

jeffh

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2012, 01:46 pm »
Emofest is this weekend, so I expect we will know more tomorrow or Sunday about the XDA-2

shadowlight

« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2012, 02:05 pm »
Emofest is this weekend, so I expect we will know more tomorrow or Sunday about the XDA-2

I hope we get some kind of an idea on what xda2 and prodac is going to provide.

RodneyM

« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2012, 11:53 pm »
Hey guys! My previous statement about the Emotiva going into protect mode does need a little clarification. I am able to safely listen at volumes near or just past the 11:00 setting on my preamp volume knob and do this continuously. I can listen at louder volumes for short periods of time but not for extended periods due the amp getting too hot and going into "protect". So, that is pretty close to a smart listening volume, maybe even a little louder. This would only be an issue if you were trying to go louder for a party or other event. I rarely would even think that going any louder would be necessary or wise (ear drums). My final opinion of the Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier is definitely a thumb’s up recommendation. I say go for it. The improvements you might get at 3 times the price would be minimal. I know this because my last setup included Classe CAM 400 mono-blocks. Great sounding amps but if I can get near the same performance from the XPA-2 why spend $10,000 for a pair of Classe amps?

Regards
Rodney
CEO of VTubeAudio
www.facebook.com/vtubeaudio

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2012, 12:46 am »
Lot of hype for the XMC-1 this weekend. The early word is it's turned out extremely well. XSP-1 debuts this weekend as well, also the xda-2 dac, xpa-100 and 200 amps, and apparently a few surprises. I'm hoping for a media server.

slbenz

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2012, 04:31 pm »
Had an XPA-5 that replaced a Parasound HCA-1205A multichannel amp in my 5.1 Magnepan system.  More bass authority, slightly more forward, same warm sound as the Parasound.  Very good sound for the price.