Perforated Screens

klh

Perforated Screens
« on: 5 Jun 2004, 05:29 pm »
I'm in the market to get a projector and screen, but I'm also thinking about which speakers to get and how to spacially set them up. One of the things I've been thinking about is getting the X-Arrays from Selah Audio. Since the array of speakers is in the neighborhood of 43"-44" long, three of them (for L, C and R channels) could just fit behind a retractable 16:9 screen that measures about 100" diagonally (87" wide and 49" tall). A problem with that set up, though, is the L and R speakers would only be about 6' apart and one would have to sit about 12' from the screen to avoid screen door artifacts in the $3,000 projector market. I could spread the L and R speakers out more, but then only the center channel would be behind the screen, and that (I would think) would affect the integration of all three speakers.

The question is, would the sound be degraded too much by having a screen in front of it? For serious listening, the screen would be elevated and I could sit a little closer, but then the phase might be off... and with movies the extra bit of clarity and horizontal extent of imaging isn't as necessary, but still, it's a big investment so I'd like to hear any of your comments. It would be easier to have a horizontal center channel, spread the L and R speakers out, have the screen against the wall with the spkeakers about 3-4' in front and avoid the cost of a retractable and perforated screeen, but most people think horizontal center channels don't mate well with line arrays, so a vertical line array center channel seems the best way to go.

Do any of you know of any real differences between the sound and video quality of various perforated screens on the market?

What would you recommend doing?

scooter

Re: Perforated Screens
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2004, 03:04 pm »
Place your left and right speakers either side of the screeen. Only place the center channel behind the screen. Depending on the screen you may need to compensate for a slight loss in high frequencies for the perforated screen, if you have one of the Meridian processors it has an adjustment for a perforated screen.

I have a perforated screen myself. The above setup allows you to still have a pristine 2 channel setup and have excellent movie sound as well.

The three speakers together will make a wall of seamless sound. If you place them too close together you will lose some of the panning sound effects. You should also check out the GR-Research Alpha's, IMO they are perfect for home theater and music combo application. I believe that Danny will be releasing a smaller model soon too.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Perforated Screens
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:40 am »
Do any of you know of any real differences between the sound and video quality of various perforated screens on the market?

I am a dealer for www.ScreenResearch.com and this screen is acoustical neutral per se. Most who have one measure a .5db loss with speakers behind the screen. Also no Moire or chance of it that you get with perforated screens. This screen is woven.

They just came out with a new "classic"frame that uses the same THX and ISF certified Clear PiX 2 material but is less costly and priced as the micropperfs are. With a mircroperf you need to use a equalizer for any speakers behind the screen and there is no comb filtering that you get with microperfs also.

I am also a new dealer for VMPS and just got my RM-30's etc that I am burning in and I am measuring less then the .5bd in any effect of the screen. With micorperfs some of the dialouge seems garbled or bassy. I became a Screen Research dealer for the audio qualities and I can sell any brand of screen. I only sell one. For the video side it just became ISF certifed and I think only one other screen has both thx and isf certification.

No roll down screen but they do have an electric rolldown If that is what you are saying.

I discount to AC and AVS members since I am one and make packages with VMPS speakers and other fun stuff I sell.

If any questions, just ask.

Larry
Audio and Image

nate

Micro Perf
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2004, 03:02 am »
I'm not a fan of the perf screens.  If you are going to spend good money on a center channel, why would you degrade its audio performance aswell as your video performance, by using a perf screen.  At your screen size and viewing distance the perf will be visible and if you are concerned with screen door, the combination of the two would be quite unpleasant.  I think that with a little extra work, you could get a low horizontal center channel to work just as well as a vertical one.