It’s the End of the World as We Know it……

Scott F.

Re: It’s the End of the World as We Know it……
« Reply #80 on: 22 Sep 2012, 04:56 pm »
Hello Everybody! I just discovered this thread and today's the day! I am in the middle of preparing a house for sale so I couldn't have come even if I had known, but I love Tannoys and Bandana's BBQ, plus audio fellowship... I wish Bandana's would expand to Omaha.
Y'all have a great party and pray that the world doesn't end until after RMAF :D

Maybe next time Douger :thumb:

jedi35

« Reply #81 on: 22 Sep 2012, 05:14 pm »
hey Scott, I'm so sorry but it looks like I may not be able to make this 1. I'm on the road right now and won't be back until later this afternoon. Then I have to go right to play a job. I'm not sure if I have enough energy to come out and make the late session. If I do I'll let you know. Or better yet, I'll just come on out. You guys have a great time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #82 on: 22 Sep 2012, 05:25 pm »
I see a line through Jim's name. Did he cancel?

Scott F.

« Reply #83 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:50 am »
And here you have it.... :thumb:

Stacked Advents and an HH Scott 299. We just haven't progressed that far from the old days.

Sturgus and Mark diggin' the Advents

The girls

The guys

Folks enjoying the Lowthers.

A big thanks to everybody that showed up.  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #84 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:59 am »
Thanks go to you for having us.  As always good tunes and good times catching up with the crew. 

bside123

« Reply #85 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:12 pm »
Scott,

I believe that I woke up this morning, and I'm pretty sure that I'm still here. At least... I think so. Of course, I can't know it or say it for certain, but if the world really ended, this place looks a whole lot like it did yesterday. Of course, that's not bad by any means, and I'm actually very happy to be here.  :D  Congrats on a nice event. Sorry I missed it. Actually... because of leap years, I believe the end of the world ended about 7 months ago!  :thumb:

michaelhigh

« Reply #86 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:51 pm »
Thank you so much for opening your beautiful home to us. Food was great, company even better, and it was a kick to put the names with the faces. I always like to say I like being the worst musician in any band I'm in, I feel like the dim bulb in this crew for sure! :green: Just how I like it! The learning is the bonus! Thanks all, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next time the world's supposed to crumble (if we get together to commiserate, that is). :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #87 on: 23 Sep 2012, 02:59 pm »
Thanks again for the hospitality and the great time. Good to see some old faces again.  Sorry I had to bug out early for dog doody.

Bryan

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #88 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:00 pm »
Sorry I missed it! Thought of you guys as I was heading down I-44 at Pacific 8 p.m., but our crew was wrapping up a 14-hour day, and needed showers bad! :duh:

Blackmore

« Reply #89 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:17 pm »
Sorry I got there so late and sorry I missed half of the GASSERS.  Work; why does it always get in the way of audio fun?   

Hope marktwain had a safe trip to AL.  He was heading out towards Sikeston after Scott's.   Also great to see Ryan and I'm looking forward to seeing some great reviews of your Vaporsound speakers at RMAF. Sounds like you've got some cool things lined up for the show.  Wish I could go, but work gets in the way of audio fun. I think I said that already.  Thanks to Laura again for putting up with us. 

Adrian (jedi) got to Scott's even later than I did and he got his first experience in the iFi chair.  His reaction was exactly why we got into this hobby.  Scott had some jazz cued up and when Adrian lay back in the comfy recliner, his eyes just focused on the huge soundstage the chair can produce.  He even reached out and pointed to various players in that soundstage.  All of this from a recliner!   I love that chair experience and Adrian got a big chuckle when Scott put on his music to "Snore" to.  His relaxing/napping after a hard day playlist started with cello solo and chamber strings.  (Adrian is a professional violinist and wasn't offended, I think)  :lol:

We moved into the exercise room to experience the Tannoys and 211 Consonance amps playing Yello "Oh, Yeah" on vinyl.  Close to club volume and it was pretty funny.  I don't think I've ever heard large Tannoys before.  Not bad and they can certainly fill that room. Reminded me of my Barque M12 speakers, but the area of "exuberance" was in a different frequency range.  Fun!

I ended the evening listening to the stacked Advents in that small room upstairs.  Good God!   Scott's beautiful walnut Advents were on bottom and they have the masonite woofer.  My newer vinyl version is the stamped basket woofer. They were way too close to the walls, listeners, etc. (it is a small room) But you should have seen Scott's grin when he fired up Dennis Bergen's rendition of "Toccata and Fugue" recorded in Christ Church Cathedral.  I kept looking around the room to see if anything was going to fall.  Can you say "ROOM LOCK".   I knew that you could.  We followed that with Dennis' recording of Dupre's "Stations of the Cross".   So nice.  And all of this fun was being provided by daves H.H. Scott 28 watt integrated.   :o    For all of their faults (diminished resolution in the upper midrange, a tweeter resonance that shoves some notes out of the mix, healthy dose of grain at times, etc.) the stacked Advents made me giggle.  So much that I didn't have the heart to take my pair home from Scott until my school's marching band season is over and I have time to listen to them.  Kent, thanks for hooking me up with my second pair of Large Advents and the check is in the mail. 

gooberdude

« Reply #90 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:34 pm »
Thanks again to Laura & Scott for such a well heeled get together.  The Bandana's bbq was great, the multitude of  brownies & dips were even better.  The house was full of good food, music & characters...and numerous sound systems.  Logitech should have sponsored the event!

Sorry I had to bug out early, but at least I got to hear the kitchen shake & growl when the main system below was at full throttle.    :thumb:

Kinda wish it was the end of the world, only because it seems my credit card balances are the same as they were yesterday.   :lol:

steve k

« Reply #91 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:11 pm »
Thanks again for a great time, Scott and Laura. As always a first class experience! I finally got to
sit in the captain's chair. Fire photon torpedoes! Awesome sweet spot. Really enoyed the green room--
always my favorite. The stacked advents were a nice touch. Sweet bass!! Thank you Mark.

Also kudos to Eric the driver for a first class limo experience!!!

steve

Scott F.

« Reply #92 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:28 pm »
Actually... because of leap years, I believe the end of the world ended about 7 months ago!  :thumb:

That would explain a LOT about this alternate reality we seem to be living in. I knew I've felt out of sorts for a while, now I know why  :lol:

I didn't type much last night. I was pretty beat.

It was great catching up with everybody yesterday. Lots of folks we haven't seen for a while and some we met for the first time. It was a nice turnout. We had about 20 or so over the course of the day which (from a host standpoint) was pretty manageable. As usual, I over ordered on the food front. Thanks to everybody for bringing out side dishes  :thumb:

On the sound front, I've got to say the stacked Advents were the biggest blast (at least for me) of all the systems. Sure, the reference system does all kinds of things really we'll and the Tannoys were fun to listen to but the Advents were just killer in my book. After everybody but Mark and Adrian left we put on Dennis Bergin's version of Bach's Toccata and Fugue from down at Christ Church. Holy CRAP was that stunning  :o Who'd a thunk these 40 year old speakers and a 50 year old tubed integrated would have had that kind of authority. I'm afraid the Tannoys might be in jeopardy in the Redrum. I think see another pair of Advents in my future.

Anyway, we had a great time visiting with everyone and making some new friends  :thumb:

daves

« Reply #93 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:32 pm »
That sure was a lot of fun, seeing Scott spank some of the gear around! I was chuckling as everyone got mesmerized by the Stromberg Carlson mono integrated driving the Altec 824 with the Dual 1019 spinning some Louie 78s. Oh yea!

This was the first time I've ever seen and heard a 211 tube based amp, so I was a little kid in the candy store, agog with wonder. They really mated well with the Tannoys, and they well illustrated how a SET system can sound exuberant out of a very dark background.

I think Mike is still recovering from not finding an actual sax playing in the Tannoy room, but all is fair in love and stereo rooms. :icon_lol:

Kudos all around for a great way to kick off the end of the world. :P

Scott F.

« Reply #94 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:51 pm »

Sorry I had to bug out early, but at least I got to hear the kitchen shake & growl when the main system below was at full throttle.    :thumb:

It's always fun pushing the big system. Man, when you open her up, she just flat responds. It's pretty amazing when you relieve the 300Bs and Lowther's from bass duty, just how loud you can play them with a puny 5 1/2 watts....and for the record, it was 111db right at 12 feet away from the speakers (according to my Sencore geekometer)  :rock: Tony brought over some killer music to push the system with too, Rome, Coil, Yello and if those weren't weird enough, how about Nik Bartsch and Novy Svet :o Very weird...but Cool :thumb:

Mark, I forgot all about my "Music to Snore to" playlist and Adrian's reaction. That was pretty funny :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #95 on: 23 Sep 2012, 05:51 pm »
Stacked Advents...now that is cool... 8) :thumb:

Thanks for the photos.... :beer:

MerRev

« Reply #96 on: 23 Sep 2012, 09:01 pm »
Thanks again Scott, Laura, Julie and Eric!  :thumb:

The big rig always pleases and this year it seemed able to resolve things all the better.  It's dynamic and lovely at the same time.   :scratch:
The variety of each system had us all grinning from ear to ear.  Can't thank you enough for hosting such a large enjoyable shindig.   It was good to get a chance to bs about  audio and as usual the GAS group was entertaining. 
The Tannoys had their own sound but it was worth coming back for.  If we could just wring a tad bit more on the bottom end I think they would be a treat. 

-Chris

kentj1948

« Reply #97 on: 23 Sep 2012, 09:14 pm »
Thanks Scott, Laura, and Eric for a really nice afternoon.  It was great to see everyone again.  It's been too long.

Best, Kent

michaelhigh

« Reply #98 on: 2 Oct 2012, 09:49 pm »
I think Mike is still recovering from not finding an actual sax playing in the Tannoy room, but all is fair in love and stereo rooms.

I SWEAR I heard an actual instrument... I've played a few gigs myself!! :green: