Subwoofer Amplifiers for Sound Quality: Class A or A/B vs. Newer Class D/Hybrid?

Audioexcels

I have never heard a superior amp on bass only than a good Class A or A/B type.  I have tried some Plate Amps and some Class D amps, but they failed terribly at reproducing the "headroom", texture, musicality, tonality, well everything they failed at:)).

I have not tried Year 2012 amps, but has anything at all changed since say, 2008-2010 since this is where my experience is with the newer topology on bass only?

Also, if one has heard a big buck Class A amp that is noted for having superior bass, can you tell me any amplifier that is not class A or A/B and maybe/hopefully has built in processing and sounds as good?

Woofers/Subs I think are "quality" that I have used with any amp include:

AE Acoustics Apollos
JBL DDD Motor Subs
Scan-Speak Revelator Series

If anyone has experience with these subs or subs with the lowest distortion out there along with various amps described above and your experience?

Thank You!

gooberdude

Good thread!  I've been frustrated over the years w/sub amps but have always gone the plate amp route for convenience.  I wasn't satisfied until buying a Rhythmik A370 plate amp, the difference in sound quality to my existing plate amps (parts express, Dayton, BASH) was laughable & validated the extra expense.

Since then I've had the opportunity to hear powerful Crown pro amps, like the K2, and really felt that is a big step up in power delivery, grip, etc.  I've not had a pro amp in my system though, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Audioexcels

Good thread!  I've been frustrated over the years w/sub amps but have always gone the plate amp route for convenience.  I wasn't satisfied until buying a Rhythmik A370 plate amp, the difference in sound quality to my existing plate amps (parts express, Dayton, BASH) was laughable & validated the extra expense.

Since then I've had the opportunity to hear powerful Crown pro amps, like the K2, and really felt that is a big step up in power delivery, grip, etc.  I've not had a pro amp in my system though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yup...it becomes even further complex when you are using truly fine low distortion bass drivers.  I'm not talking Dayton Reference/Peerless XLS/etc. which to me is like a mid-fi type Vifa for midrange driver.  I'm talking the equivalent of Tad BE mids or taking it a step down but still low distortion newer Accuton, Seas Excel, Audio Technology or for tweeters, Raal, Tad BE, etc. 

Does a person really think Crown/Plate Amp/or mid-fi type a/b amps when they are choosing an amp for their Accuton mids and Raal ribbons???

Thanks for the post as hopefully we can get a wider range of people that have experience working with amps and truly hi-fidelity woofers to chime in about what exactly is out there that can honestly compete with a truly musical Class A, A/B, etc. amp well known for not just headroom, but most importantly, sound fidelity.

If Crown w/built in DSP type of amp does it, I'm all for it, but I guess it's tough for me to see how these amps with their nice hybrid technology can truly do what a fine Class A amp can do with a truly fine woofer-sub.