New A/V-1RS finished. Pics too...

Danny Richie

« on: 4 Jun 2004, 09:20 pm »
Okay, I have finished testing the new A/V-1RS.

The RS is for "rear surround".

They are to be mounted on the wall and can be mounted on rear or side walls.

Optimal distance from the ceiling is 16" down from the ceiling to the center of the tweeter.

They can also be mounted as close as 2 feet from a corner without any adverse effect on the response.

The front baffle is at a 100 degree angle from the wall firing up and out into the room.

It looks a little like a wall mounted light fixture or something. For the pictures it is just sitting on its bottom side.

Here it is with and without grill from the top side.

And one with and one without the drivers.

The back side leaves room for excess wiring.

Mounting it to the wall is really trick too.

As part of the plans an MDF strip that has a 45 degree angle cut across the top mounts to the wall.

The speaker back side has a reverse cut 45 degree angle edge that slips down over it.

See the side view for another look at that.

Okay how does it sound, firing up sounds odd, huh... ?

It actually worked out great.

I can't believe how well it sounded and how well the reflected sound created added space and ambience.

First of all with the drivers mounted on the same plane it can recreated an accurate response.

Measuring it was a little tricky.

First it was measured on a large board to simulate a wall. Then it was placed against a wall to simulate the ceiling.

It was then measured at a distance so that all wall and ceiling reflections could be allowed for in the response.

There are some cancellation effects from the wall and ceiling and those effects had to be compensated for.

There is also some lower frequency gain.

Measurements were taken at various distances and with the speaker at various distances from the simulated ceiling.

Here is an un-gated (wide open time window) response curve.

This does not reflect actual sensitivity.

For a reflected signal with no gating this is actually very smooth. In fact I was really surprised at how smooth the response was.

The steep acoustic crossover slopes minimized driver to driver cancellations that could occur from moving off axis to one side or the other.

Also see continuos pink noise signal.

The mic was about 10 feet away for this measurement.

I was also surprised at how smooth the bottom end rolled off.

Here is the impedance curve.

It sounded like it was facing forward or right at you and not firing off the wall at all. At least not what you would expect.

I was surprised at how clear the highs were too. Detail level was still great.

In the actual output, the high end is slightly elevated to compensate for the energy loss from the reflection and the gain of the lows from their reflections.

So the actual response is pretty even with only a little gradual dropping off of the top end. This should be perfect for rear effects that are often to bright due to often too close to the listener speaker placement.

The image was actually notably larger than a single speaker would be firing forward too.

Vocals that I played through the single test unit emanated from a large area in the middle of the wall (the wall was used to simulate the ceiling), like a large speaker was there in the wall.

The reflected sound really created a lot more distance and space.

Placing a single forward firing A/V-1 next to it didn't even have the same effect. The standard front firing A/V-1 next to it was much more boxy sounding as if the sound beamed from the box, while the reflected energy from the A/V-1RS created a much larger sound field, and threw the image high up on the wall.

Turning the standard A/V-1 towards the wall recreated some of the effect but the response was dulled quite a bit, and was a little boomy since the standard A/V-1 has baffle step compensation built into it, and against the solid base firing into the wall there was no baffle step loss.

Not having to compensate for baffle step loss in the new A/V-1RS meant no resistors used in the tweeter circuit and a smaller inductor value in the woofer circuit.

Actual sensitivity averages at 90db.

So far I am really pleased with these.  :dance:

RAW

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2004, 09:48 pm »
[list=]

I will go into detail the way to cut these later I am heading out.
I think the pics really explain it best.
All the parts are cut to 10.5" exept the ends.
You over size the ends and line up the back top and lower endges.(very very important) trim off extra MDF.
You can do this before or after assembly of the cabinets.
I did the first few sets just after assembly hit them with a router bit.
But for those with no router but a jig saw these cabinets can be made.
The trick is the 10and 20dgr angles.
And proper alignment for assemble.
Not near as easy to build as a box.So I think Danny will show this in the cabinet prices.
As well I have a lot of  custom veneer for those wanting something different from the Maple and Cherry as well.
I have forwarded pics to Danny and will have info on my site about the veneer next week.

Well done Danny now just wait to get mine done :mrgreen:

Al[/list]

mnapuran

Re: New A/V-1RS finished. Pics too...
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2004, 10:38 pm »
I must admit... this is a bit odd, and not what I expected.

Not sure how something like this (mounting, etc) will work for DTS tracks.  Seems like it would work better for old school Dolby Digital processing versus DD/DTS, etc.

Guess I won't be the first one building these... I'll have to wait till someone in Dallas builds em and see how they work in their room.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2004, 10:50 pm »
Not sure how something like this (mounting, etc) will work for DTS tracks. Seems like it would work better for old school Dolby Digital processing versus DD/DTS, etc.

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. Why would you think that?

I'll have to wait till someone in Dallas builds em and see how they work in their room.

Dallas is only two hours from GR Research.  :wink:

Looks like you have quite a group of enthusiasts down there.

Maybe you and your pals would like to get together with a few of mine that live down in that area for a little audio party. Though, my buddies are mostly high end two channel guys.

mnapuran

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2004, 12:07 am »
Quote from: Danny
Dallas is only two hours from GR Research.  :wink:

Looks like you have quite a group of enthusiasts down there.

Maybe you and your pals would like to get together with a few of mine that live down in that area for a little audio party. Though, my buddies are mostly high end two channel guys.

I know  8)   I'm into 2-channel too, but most of our guys aren't.  And I don't think a 2-channel setup will convince many of them about your surround setup  :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2004, 02:43 am »
I know  I'm into 2-channel too, but most of our guys aren't. And I don't think a 2-channel setup will convince many of them about your surround setup

Oh, I wouldn't use them in a two channel demo.

I'll have a pair set up as rear surrounds.

My two channel buddies down there get together nearly once a month to try out something new, listen to some music, go out to eat...

You may know one of my buddies, Gary Dodd. He makes some of the best sounding tube amps in the industry and lives there in Garland.

See his stuff here.

www.doddaudio.biz

george king

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2004, 08:09 pm »
Danny,

They look really good, and I bet they sound great.  I am looking to round out my system, and was wondering about pricing for the cabs and the kit.

Oh yes, could you ceiling mount them, facing inward, or wouldnt that work.

Thanks

Danny Richie

Prices...
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2004, 08:17 pm »
The price for the kit is $229. for a pair.

Prices for finished out cabinets with the magnetic grills are $150. each. That would be for standard finishes like Oak, Maple, or Cherry.

Oh yes, could you ceiling mount them, facing inward, or wouldnt that work.

Nope they need to be wall mounted facing up with a distance to the ceiling of 16" from the tweeter surface.

They could be mounted on side walls, mounted facing the rear wall with the same 16" distance to the rear wall.

Oh yea, I do have some nice looking Cherry finished test boxes that Al sent me (pictured above) with no grills that I could let go for $200. for the pair.  :mrgreen:

george king

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2004, 09:20 pm »
Danny,

Let me think about the cabs.  They sound tempting.  I assume the Sonicaps upgrade is the same $69?  Have you tried them with the Caps upgrade?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2004, 09:28 pm »
Let me think about the cabs.

Actually, the way Al assembled them made them pretty easy.

I assume the Sonicaps upgrade is the same $69? Have you tried them with the Caps upgrade?

If one were to only upgrade the caps in the tweeter circuit then the Sonicap upgrade will be $21. a speaker.

azryan

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2004, 12:19 am »
Danny,

"-they need to be wall mounted facing up with a distance to the ceiling of 16" from the tweeter surface.-"

Does it matter flat ceiling or angled?

mnapuran,

"-Not sure how something like this (mounting, etc) will work for DTS tracks. Seems like it would work better for old school Dolby Digital processing versus DD/DTS, etc.-"

What's 'old school Dolby Digital' vs. DD (which means Dolby Digital)?

Do you mean old Dolby Pro Logic (which would be 'digital' coming off a DVD)?

If 'yes'.... then it seems like you're thinking they shouldn't be getting a full range signal (minus the sub x-over)?

Pro Logic I think cut the treble off at 6 or 7kHz I think and didn't it limit the bass pretty high too?

Danny worked these out to handle full range 5.1 audio like DD and DTS (again I assume best to set them to 'small' and cross to a sub like you should for all speakers that aren't 100% full range -or close to it).

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2004, 12:47 am »
Does it matter flat ceiling or angled?

They were designed using a flat ceiling.

An angled ceiling will effect the response slightly and project it further out into the room.

Should work just fine though.

jjb

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2004, 01:48 am »
Great Design Danny, How would ceiling height affect response, is there a limit? My ceiling height is 14 feet. Also hurry up and finish the sub can't wait to purchase.

scooter

Re: New A/V-1RS finished. Pics too...
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2004, 03:15 pm »
Danny,

How do they sound as surrounds on a DVD movie with a dynamic surround track ?

Scooter

azryan

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:03 pm »
Shouldn't tonality and dynamics be the ~same as the regular A/V1's?

Spread of the sound should be diff. but maybe only way to really explain it would be to pick a chapter of a popular DVD we all have or have seen at least and remark about the diff. between a regular A/V1 monopole vs. this new up-firing speaker.

Maybe unplug the whole front end just to hear the surrounds too.

Now does Danny have all that time to do that? Busy guy. That's gotta be tough to get to something like that.

IronForge

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:19 pm »
but maybe only way to really explain it would be to pick a chapter of a popular DVD we all have or have seen at least and remark about the diff. between a regular A/V1 monopole vs. this new up-firing speaker.

Sounds like a great idea!

Now does the up-firing speaker improve the off axis response?

Danny Richie

perspective
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2004, 10:19 pm »
Okay, let me try to put this into better perspective so everyone will understand how this works a little better.

Lets say you have a pair of small speakers (A/V-1's) and you set those speakers out on stands about 3 feet from the rear wall.

Sound is three dimensional and has a deep sound stage. Imaging is good.

Why?  Differences in time arrival from what you hear on axis verses what you hear off axis (reflected) is part of it. No time delay shifts in the on axis response is a biggy too. Plus, arrival time of the left speaker verses the right speaker.

The stand mounted speaker will have an adjusted response that elevates the output below about 700Hz and down since it looses output level due to baffle step loss.

This is where the lower frequency waves begin to wrap around the enclosure and play three dimensionally instead of just from the speaker forward. When that happens it looses output.

Where this begins to take place is directly related to the width of the front baffle. The wider the baffle the lower in frequency the waves must be to wrap around it.

And technically to compensate for this the lower end is not boosted as it can not be passively boosted. All other frequencies ranges are simply brought down to the level of the lows to make a flat response. This is baffle step compensation.

Now I told you that story so I could tell you another story.  :lol:

Back to those stand mounted A/V-1 that are three feet out from the rear walls and images so well.

Now let's slide them back against the wall.

Yea, the port is now firing right up against the wall and that would suck, but aside from that, the output that has wavelengths that are wider than the front baffle will wrap around the baffle and reflect off the wall and arrive to use along with the on axis response in the form of a slight time delay that just tends to smear the music just a little.

Imaging is now much more two dimensional and sounding as if it is coming from the wall forward.

Many of you guys have tried this before. I know you get it.

Lower frequencies are now also much stronger than they should be because there now is no baffle step loss or loss of output level in the bottom end. It all reflected forward.

Bass response is now much greater.

Mounting a speaker to a wall has the same effect.

This is not ideal for a rear surround speaker especially if you sit very close to it.

Ideally the rear surrounds should be stand mounted also and well away from side walls, plus about twice the distance away from you as the front speakers or at least no closer to you than that.

This set up can not be attained in most rooms.

So speakers are mounted in walls and on walls.

The dipole design tries to eliminate this pin point two dimensional sound by firing part of the output forward and part of it backward in a way that cancels some of the on axis output and allows you to hear reflected sound from the front of the room and reflected sound from the back of the room.

This does away with the point source sound and scatters the sound around a bit. This is just like flipping the polarity of one speaker opposite of the other speaker and sitting in the middle. You get no center focused sound but you do clearly hear reflected sound from the side walls. It's airy and adds space, but is artificial and not accurate.

Many do like it though.

The A/V-1RS fires a complete and accurate output up to the ceiling and out into the room.

With it 16" from the ceiling the response time of the output level reaching the ceiling and back again to speaker level is already a distance of 32".

It is kind of like having it 3' out from the wall. Depending on the room it can create a much greater sense of depth than other options.

Electrical time delays can be added from front to rear to delay the rear signal from the front signal but this does not add distance from the speaker to the ear to allow for a fuller propagation.

It is kind of like thinking that digitally delaying a signal to bookshelf mounted front speakers will create a three dimensional sound stage. It just won't happen. It will still sound two dimensional.

The sound of the A/V-1RS is big, airy, and sounds as if it is coming from a greater distance than the ceiling or walls.

Reflected energy is allowed for in the design and is part of the design.

See actual output if turned toward the mic from 39" away and measured with a gated time window (no reflections).

Now compare this with the measure reflected output that is un-gated. Un-gated means no time restricted view. So the response looks a little choppy and you have to consider the average.

The output level here has also been adjusted from the one above to allow for and adjust for the reflected energy from the wall it is mounter to, but the level in the bottom end and the top end is the same.

Note how the higher frequencies must be allowed to have more output to equal or be closer to an equal output level to the bottom end after the wall and ceiling reflection.

There is no adjustment to the upper levels to compensate for baffle step loss because there is none. There is still some gain in the bottom end due to the reflections.

Also note that the measured output level according to the lines on the chart do not represent any actual 1 watt/1 meter output level in the lower curve so disregard that. It was shoot from further away.

Actual output level when adjusting to a 1 watt/1 meter reference is 90.5 to 91db. This will equal the output level of a pair of A/V-3's playing up front without adjusting levels.

The sound is something that I am proud of. It's is a big step up from typical wall mounted surround speakers IMO.

Great Design Danny, How would ceiling height affect response, is there a limit? My ceiling height is 14 feet. Also hurry up and finish the sub can't wait to purchase.

Good question.

Yes, ceiling height will effect the response. Comb filtering effects and cancelations are time arrival effects.

The response is adjusted for as near flat as possible at the 16" distance.

Move it a little further away or closer up and any cancellations that occur will shift to a slightly lower or slightly higher frequency.

We're talking about a few db this way or that way in a given area.

If the ceiling is a long way away (like 6 feet away) then several waves will have propagated several times long before it reaches the ceiling and back. The response will be very much like it would be if it were on a stand behind you and it were 16 feet away.

Talk about your added delay time... This might be even better.  :wink:

It might also take out a little bit of the bottom end strength and making it more balanced over all.

And those subs should be here by the 15th of July.

How do they sound as surrounds on a DVD movie with a dynamic surround track ?

These things sounded great and little different from a stand mounted A/V-1. Dynamic tracks are no problem.

Shouldn't tonality and dynamics be the ~same as the regular A/V1's?

Yes, very much so. A lot like an A/V-1 that is out in the middle of a room. Just with a higher output level.

Keep in mind that the added time delay from the sound reflecting off the ceiling and down to you is like moving a rear stand mounted speaker about 5 feet or more further back than your rear wall.

Now does the up-firing speaker improve the off axis response?

Reflected energy is more controlled rather than a more room dependant response that you might get from a stand mounted speaker. It will sound almost exactly the same mounted 16" from your ceiling as it does mounted 16" from my ceiling.

Steeper acoustic slopes also insure that off axis response is the same or more closely the same regardless of seating position. In other words less cancellation from woofer to tweeter as one is physically further away than the other when you move from one side of the room to the other.

Also the response is accurate or more accurately reflects the signal that was sent to it verses a dipole design.

Now that I have explained it in such detail I wonder how many other manufacturers will come out with something just like it in the near future?

IronForge

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2004, 07:31 pm »
I'm sold!  :)

IronForge

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2004, 04:57 pm »
Danny..

Will you be adding the AV1-RS to gr-research.com?

Danny Richie

A/V-1RS
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2004, 06:46 pm »
Will you be adding the AV1-RS to gr-research.com?

Yes, and I have been working on it.