Best subwoofer under $550.00

medium jim

Re: Best subwoofer under $550.00
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:05 pm »
Congratulations on your new Epik Legend! I also use my Epik with Maggies (MMG's). It sits on an Auralex SubDude which is only about 2 inches high.

It is interesting that Epik used to make several ported models and now concentrates on sealed subs exclusively...

The Auralex's are what I use, really is a major improvement as it decouples the Subs from the room.  I also use them for amp platforms.    Maybe the best $200.00 I spent!

Jim

cheap-Jack

« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:22 pm »
I have my subs on sub isolation platforms (platform in name only) which really cleans things up.

Bingo!

That's what I have done since day one I moved in my 100W 10" from the store (I paid only 50 bucks for it, brandnew US well-known brandname, picked up from a large famous box store).

I know the sub cabinet should not be vibrating with the booming bass as not to screw up the bass.

Even though my sub is front firing, seated on carpetted concrete floor of my basement, I still DIY buiit an effective "isolation platform" for my sub to seat on.

A simple square ring using 1.5"x1.5" square stud wood (99cents from Home Depot) jointed together, "floating" on the concrete floor with 3-in-a-set steel spikes.

So the sub is effective 5" off the floor & being a square ring, there is free air flow space under the sub. So the bass will not be affected by any floor virbation & soundwave reflections.

This ring plaftorm works big bigtime costing me only a few bucks.

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:44 pm »
Hi
The Auralex's are what I use, really is a major improvement as it decouples the Subs from the room.  I also use them for amp platforms.    Maybe the best $200.00 I spent!

Jim

For my tube power amp, I have it "foating" on a 3" thick natural granite block via 3-in-a-set strong steel spike. The massy granite block is again "floated" on the wall-to-wall carpetted concrete floor via 3 resilient spiked carpet guards which I got dirt cheap from Walmart!

For power amps, we need mass & isolation working hand-in-hand.

c-J

medium jim

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2012, 05:15 pm »
My amps supply enough mass in conjunction.  We're drifting a bit off topic though.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2012, 05:32 pm »
well, one of the neatest things about the Legend is that you simply don't need any of that stuff. The parallel drive configuration completly cancels out any vibrations in the cabinet. If you put your hand on the sub, you would think it was off.

There is youtube footage of the larger 15" home theater version, the Empire, and in that footage people have coins laid upright on the cabinet, glasses of water placed there, and you can clearly see that there is no vibration whatsoever from the cabinet.

So I get to forgo the slabs of granite and the isolation pads, etc. Another reason why I was for it.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:32 pm »
Hi.
My amps supply enough mass in conjunction.  We're drifting a bit off topic though.

If yr "isolation platform" were Auralex U-boat rubber pad, my question will be:-
How LONG can the rubber pad (being foam structure) hold in shape under the substantial mass of yr amps????

We need massy & rigid support plaform for any massing amps for long term & isolation, e.g. via steel spikes or tip-toes to provide physical isolation for the mass.

Anythings else are only sales pitches. This is physics, like it or not.

FYI, one of the most expensive isolation stands design-built by a Swiss manufacturer, delivering extremely effective measured data vs floor vibration, also uses steel spikes to float the massy stands off the floor.

c-J

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:35 pm »
Who knows, maybe this thread will spawn a sell at GR!

Jim

Could be....

I have another shipment of them (hundreds of them) that will be here in a week. I like running sales on things that I have a lot of in stock.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2012, 07:48 pm »
I've admired the Epik design (opposing, sealed dual woofers) for some time and the price is nice too.  Even thought about using a pair as stands (tilted on their ends with footers added) for smaller speakers in a bigger space (an extra $400 for stands plus double the bass).  Gawd, that'd be (4) sealed 12 inch woofers with 600 watts (1,500 watts peak) for $900 USD!

So I eagerly await your reports on the Legend.

medium jim

« Reply #28 on: 21 Aug 2012, 08:09 pm »
Could be....

I have another shipment of them (hundreds of them) that will be here in a week. I like running sales on things that I have a lot of in stock.

Well there you have it folks!

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2012, 08:19 pm »
RClark:

Iso platforms are not about the elimination of cabinet resonance, they isolate any room interference or interactions, thus decoupling them from the room. Any box sub will be improved no matter how well they're made.

More to the point, even if there is no palpable resonance on the top of the sub, I would bet there is on the bottom.

Again, this is a departure from the subject, but felt the need to respond to you.

Glad you like them as they sit.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:27 pm »
Jim, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may actually be misinformed. I believe the purpose of the isolation platforms is to keep the vibrations from the enclosure from interacting with the room, hence why I said the Legend doesn't need them.

I'd the cabinet isn't vibrating then all the isolation platform becomes is a stand. I believe the point of subwoofer isolators is to keep the enclosure from interacting with the room. Buy the legend doesn't need it.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #31 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:28 pm »
Such things exist? Audiophile approved/quality subwoofers for less than $550? I've always wanted one, but I thought I would have to spend thousands.

Doc

medium jim

« Reply #32 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:49 pm »
Jim, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may actually be misinformed. I believe the purpose of the isolation platforms is to keep the vibrations from the enclosure from interacting with the room, hence why I said the Legend doesn't need them.

I'd the cabinet isn't vibrating then all the isolation platform becomes is a stand. I believe the point of subwoofer isolators is to keep the enclosure from interacting with the room. Buy the legend doesn't need it.

Rcark:

Last response to something off topic, Bass Iso Stands will benefit your Sub even if you don't feel vibrations on the top....turn in upside down and then feel the bottom (now the top).  Moreover, Bass produces subsonic wave forms that have their own energy which is benefited by Iso Platforms.

I will start a new thread to dedicated about Bass Isolation Platforms and let the conversation continue there.

Jim

FireGuy

« Reply #33 on: 22 Aug 2012, 12:26 am »
Outlaw's LFM1 Plus.  Own it, love it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:08 am »
Such things exist? Audiophile approved/quality subwoofers for less than $550? I've always wanted one, but I thought I would have to spend thousands.

Doc

I agree, this thread is interesting.

My current sub is a 10" sealed prototype built by Adire Audio 10+ years ago... it was about $300 but they said it was retailing for about $1k. It's ok, but only goes down to 25-30 Hz. It looks like there may be some superior options in this thread's price range...

I am definitely interested in a DIY servo sub!

Rclark

« Reply #35 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:20 am »
^

That's interesting because I have two 15" Adire Brahma Mk ii's, never used, in my closet. I believe the plan is now when I can get a house I will turn them into giant low tuned super low bass refrigerators for the occasional organ notes.

medium jim

« Reply #36 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:34 am »
C'mon let's try and keep this on subject....what someone has in his closet hasn't a thing to do with subs under $550.00, especially raw car sub speakers if I'm not mistaken. 

Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:48 am »
^

That's interesting because I have two 15" Adire Brahma Mk ii's, never used, in my closet. I believe the plan is now when I can get a house I will turn them into giant low tuned super low bass refrigerators for the occasional organ notes.

Those were (are) very cool subs... designed for car audio, but it was a SQ sub that can go loud too. Not sure how they stack up against more modern options, but Adire made some great stuff.

medium jim

« Reply #38 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:49 am »
Those were (are) very cool subs... designed for car audio, but it was a SQ sub that can go loud too. Not sure how they stack up against more modern options, but Adire made some great stuff.

Please guys.....

Thanks to those who are keeping it real....

Jim

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #39 on: 22 Aug 2012, 05:06 am »
Please guys.....

Thanks to those who are keeping it real....

Jim

Could you tell me more about Auralex Subdude subwoofer platforms?   :P