Why aren't single ended pentodes popular?

Guy 13

Re: Why aren't single ended pentodes popular?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2012, 02:01 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Other than the 300B, 2A3 and the same,
is there any other tube that is the size of the 6L6 or the same ?
How about a triode tube the size of a EL84 ?

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:47 am »
I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking :) The title says single-ended pentodes, but you ask about triodes...

Anyway, perhaps the 6EM7 would be of interest?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6em7.html

http://the-planet.org/6EM7.html

cheap-Jack

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2012, 02:49 pm »
HI.
I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking :) The title says single-ended pentodes, but you ask about triodes...

Why not look for triodes when pentodes are inherently inferior than triodes?

c-J

Quiet Earth

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2012, 04:06 pm »
The title question suggests to me that triodes are usually chosen when one reaches for a single ended tube amp. Maybe this is true, maybe not, I don't really keep track. But, if SE pentodes are outnumbered, they are still not too hard to find.

Quicksilver makes a single ended KT88.
Almarro makes the A205A, a single ended EL84
Audion makes the Sterling in EL34 and KT88 versions
Decware produces several SEP amps
Audio Note makes the Otto, a parallel single ended EL84 integrated
.... and I am sure that I missed a few.

Not to mention all of the vintage stuff, and DIY . . .

Also, in the land of tube guitar amplifiers the single ended pentode is still popular.  (Marshall class5, Laney Lionheart,  etc.)

So there you go. The SEP is still alive and kicking. It ain't going away anytime soon.  :thumb:

cheap-Jack

« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2012, 08:02 pm »
Hi.
The title question suggests to me that triodes are usually chosen when one reaches for a single ended tube amp.
Yes, triodes are used only within this decade or so - pretty commonly for Hi-end audiophile application. Most if not all famous brandnames, like the most expensive audio stuff on this planet - Audio Note of Japan, using ONLY triode O/P stages. So DIY also follow this trend.

Sonically triodes, due to its physical construction, are more linear than a pentode.  Our ears can hear the difference.

. But, if SE pentodes are outnumbered, they are still not too hard to find.

Quicksilver makes a single ended KT88.... am sure that I missed a few.

Not to mention all of the vintage stuff, and DIY . . .

Also, in the land of tube guitar amplifiers the single ended pentode is still popular.  (Marshall class5, Laney Lionheart,  etc.)

So there you go. The SEP is still alive and kicking. It ain't going away anytime soon. 

Historically, pentodes were the only O/P tubes used in radios in the old time. e.g. 50L6, 50C5  etc for its higher power O/P & cheaper to build until transistor era arrived. "Vintage " radios, right?

Tube guitar amps even todate still use 6L6, EL34 type O/p tubes for the best bang of the power buck where power O/P is the top priority for PA application.
Sound quality? Not an issue.

But we are talking about home audiio where sound quality is always the top priority. Tetrodes & pentodes have to give way to triodes, SE or PP.

c-J

Aslo

mcgsxr

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:38 pm »
I ran an SEP Magnavox amp for many years with open baffle speakers.   Fantastic!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:59 am »
Like most things, implementation is often more important that topology... but I agree with cheap jack, if your goal is the best amplifier possible I think triodes are the only real choice. Whether PP or SE, that will get a lot more debate!

Steve

« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:21 am »
I would not forget ultra-linear operation. Kinda the best of both worlds as dynamic like pentodes, yet low distortion like triodes.

Cheers.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:28 pm »
Does anyone actually run pentodes in true pentode mode anymore?  I thought all pentode amps were run in ultra-linear these days due to distortion.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2012, 02:53 pm »
My DynaMutt has Triode & Pentode. UltraLinear taps unused. I do run it mostly in triode.

dave

Guy 13

« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2012, 03:30 pm »
Does anyone actually run pentodes in true pentode mode anymore?  I thought all pentode amps were run in ultra-linear these days due to distortion.
Hi Ericus Rex.
My Niteshade Audio model NS-10 is wrired in pentode mode, not ultra-linear.
The output tube is a single 6L6 per channel and gives out 10wpc as the model number suggest.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2012, 11:58 pm »
ASL also made a stereo integrated KT88 Pentode amp to 15W or 5W in Triode and manual Bias.
http://www.divertech.com/aslmgsi15dt.html

bunky

« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2012, 12:43 am »
The Golden Tube Audio SE40 used 6L6GC in a parallel SET configuration and the modded ones sounded damn good.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 1 Sep 2012, 09:03 pm »
Like most things, implementation is often more important that topology... but I agree with cheap jack, if your goal is the best amplifier possible I think triodes are the only real choice. Whether PP or SE, that will get a lot more debate!

i agree implementation is important the almarro a205a mkll, 5wpc w/el84 tubes run sep, is an absolutely killer amp, imo.  it has been favorably compared to amps 3 times its price, including set amps...

doug s.

Jon L

« Reply #34 on: 17 Aug 2013, 03:15 pm »
i agree implementation is important the almarro a205a mkll, 5wpc w/el84 tubes run sep, is an absolutely killer amp, imo.  it has been favorably compared to amps 3 times its price, including set amps...

doug s.

What's even more amazing about the Almarro is how good it sounds even with so many generic parts in it, e.g. tiny polyester coupling caps, average volume pot, stock Russian tubes.  Luckily, the transformers seem to be of high quality, so once you get some better caps, tubes, pots in it, the world is your oyster  :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #35 on: 17 Aug 2013, 03:22 pm »

The DIY crowd still makes gear in true pentode mode.  Many of the early Williamson amps used 807's in pentode mode.  The amps you heard before with the 1625 tubes are true pentode, as the screens are limited to 300V with the 1625.   Given the high cost and suspect reliability of modern KT88's, 6550's, etc. , going DIY with high quality pentode tubes such as the 1625 makes a lot of sense. 

Alex Kitic

« Reply #36 on: 18 Aug 2013, 10:04 am »
I sort of specialize in designing single ended amps in pentode mode. It has gone so far that I am not interested in designing amps with output triodes, unless it is to prove a point, or improve on current implementation of output triodes.

The main reason triodes are popular is the fact that they are easier to work with, less connections and grids to use, less knowledge necessary. Knowledge has been lost to most, among other reasons because vacuum tubes are basically obsolete and are not taught at universities. Maybe the basics of triodes are easy enough to grasp, but pentodes are a different case. Not to mention the difference between the operation of small signal pentodes and output power beam tetrodes and pentodes.

I have managed to design SE tube amps with pentodes and beam tetrodes which were initially defined as "the sound of triode with the power of pentode. The RH84 and RH807 are two examples. You can check out my blog

Rh-amps.blogspot.com

for information, and you can also search the net for all the praise and controversy those amps have underwent in the past more than a decade.

RH amps have started as a challenge to triode (mostly DHT) SE amps. If you reconsider,  it's a repetition of 2A3/300B, and 211/845 amps, at least in the SE field. 6V heater versions of 2A3 included, and "special quality new production versions" taken into account, of course. Not to mention the circuits, repetition of the same driver tubes in the same configuration all over again. Than there is the claim of power, where some amps are declared as operating in class A2, although they are dirct coupled at the very best, but the drivers cannot push the output tubes in class A2, thus power remains, for instance, 18W instead of the declared 30 or so Watts. Similarly but less bluntly,  EL84 amps are specified as 2W in triode mode (how is that possible?), and generally some 25W anode dissipation triode strapped amps are declared with output power that can be obtained with 40W dissipation DHT's. Why bother? A 25W dissipation pentode will hive you up to 10W of output power with a good application, and sound that will not be second to DHT,  but you have to be creative and know hoe to do it... and that will avoid any marketing gimmick.

I guess this post will cause harsh remarks and fierce attacks. I am used to that, anyway. It's either being silent or attracting all sorts of criticism from people who would like the world to go on like they are used to, unstirred. For the purpose of this thread I guess the major problem is the fact that most are not DIY-ers while my amps are not products for sale - this limits the possibility for direct comparison with similar commercial amps mentioned above.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #37 on: 18 Aug 2013, 12:08 pm »
A lot of the tubes mentioned in this thread are actually beam tetrodes, right?  Are beam tetrodes inherently lower in distortion, even when treated as pentodes in a circuit, than a true pentode?

ttan98

« Reply #38 on: 18 Aug 2013, 02:39 pm »
I sort of specialize in designing single ended amps in pentode mode. It has gone so far that I am not interested in designing amps with output triodes, unless it is to prove a point, or improve on current implementation of output triodes.

The main reason triodes are popular is the fact that they are easier to work with, less connections and grids to use, less knowledge necessary. Knowledge has been lost to most, among other reasons because vacuum tubes are basically obsolete and are not taught at universities. Maybe the basics of triodes are easy enough to grasp, but pentodes are a different case. Not to mention the difference between the operation of small signal pentodes and output power beam tetrodes and pentodes.

I have managed to design SE tube amps with pentodes and beam tetrodes which were initially defined as "the sound of triode with the power of pentode. The RH84 and RH807 are two examples. You can check out my blog

Rh-amps.blogspot.com

for information, and you can also search the net for all the praise and controversy those amps have underwent in the past more than a decade.

RH amps have started as a challenge to triode (mostly DHT) SE amps. If you reconsider,  it's a repetition of 2A3/300B, and 211/845 amps, at least in the SE field. 6V heater versions of 2A3 included, and "special quality new production versions" taken into account, of course. Not to mention the circuits, repetition of the same driver tubes in the same configuration all over again. Than there is the claim of power, where some amps are declared as operating in class A2, although they are dirct coupled at the very best, but the drivers cannot push the output tubes in class A2, thus power remains, for instance, 18W instead of the declared 30 or so Watts. Similarly but less bluntly,  EL84 amps are specified as 2W in triode mode (how is that possible?), and generally some 25W anode dissipation triode strapped amps are declared with output power that can be obtained with 40W dissipation DHT's. Why bother? A 25W dissipation pentode will hive you up to 10W of output power with a good application, and sound that will not be second to DHT,  but you have to be creative and know hoe to do it... and that will avoid any marketing gimmick.

I guess this post will cause harsh remarks and fierce attacks. I am used to that, anyway. It's either being silent or attracting all sorts of criticism from people who would like the world to go on like they are used to, unstirred. For the purpose of this thread I guess the major problem is the fact that most are not DIY-ers while my amps are not products for sale - this limits the possibility for direct comparison with similar commercial amps mentioned above.

Pentode amp has intrinsic high output impedance without overall feedback applied to the output transformer.

Your circuit does not use overall feedback but uses 100K shunt resistor(using 12AT7) on the output tube, this I believe reduces the output impedance somewhat, did you manage to make some measurements(impedance) using this configurations. If you have any results please let us know.

I suspect the reduction in output impedance is not really significant using the circuit configuration. Maybe you can prove me wrong.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #39 on: 18 Aug 2013, 05:04 pm »
A lot of the tubes mentioned in this thread are actually beam tetrodes, right?  Are beam tetrodes inherently lower in distortion, even when treated as pentodes in a circuit, than a true pentode?
All these Tetrodes tubes had bad sound when used as Tetrodes due the kink effect, they are used as Triodes for audio;
As perennialized by the KT brand(Kinkless Tetrode).