The long awaited Turbomod for the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks

audioengr

Empirical Audio is now offering a Turbomod (reference-quality mod) for the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks.

The JC-1 monoblocks sound a lot better than most amps in their price range, however there is a lot more performance potential locked-up in these amps. Their primary weakness is dynamics, particularly in the high-frequencies. They also tend to be a bit muddy in both the midrange and highs due to their power delivery topology, even though they deliver the detail in spades right out of the box, or at least after a month or so of break-in. This muddiness can best be described as a bit of congestion or compression. They just do not open-up and envelope you in an unrestrained, spacious sound field.

The EA Turbomod removes all of these weaknesses.  It transforms the JC-1's into spectacular, breathtaking music machines. The soundstage doubles in width compared to the stock amp and the slam factor improves by an order of magnitude. The weight, authority and richness of the music is improved dramatically. There is a spaciousness of the sound field that just immerses the listener. The focus and clarity of violins, violas and cellos is razor-sharp, but with finesse and sweetness, not harshness. Percussion, such as cymbols, bells and vibraphone has real attack, sustain and decay.  The front-to-back layering is so detailed that the relative positions of different instruments can be sensed within a few feet. Most first-time listeners believe they are listening to surround-sound, when it is only 2-channel. This is the first amp to exceed the performance of our modified Adcom GFA-585 reference amp, so this is our new reference amp.

The amplifier mods include:

1)Power delivery improvements to the driver boards, including Black Gate capacitors
2) Perfect Crystal silver harnesses for the driver to main boards
3) New power harnesses for the driver boards
4) Power topology changes to both driver and main boards
5) Power delivery improvements to the driver boards, including Black Gate capacitors (there are no Black Gates in the stock amp)
6) Perfect Crystal silver input wiring from XLR's and RCA's
7) Disabling of the "auto-power-on with signal presence"
8 ) Removal of some filtering and upgrade of other filter caps
9) Check adjustment of low and high bias and match between the monoblocks

Turbomod cost for 2 monoblocks: $1800.00 plus shipping

For more details, see the component mods page at:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2004, 06:13 pm »
Steve, it seems to have indeed worked out...the mods to the JC-1's.

Does everything now get TurboMod status?...ha, just joshing.  I know you are judicious for those making TurboMod status.  I'm kinda' like an overly proud peacock myself with two Turbomod items in the chain, now.  Too bad my current amp is 'HagartheHorrible' status, so I don't get to hear them in their full glory.

Having heard the GFA-585 in action for over an hour at CES 2004, I'll bet these fella's are special if you're THAT pumped over them.

Niiiice.. :thumb:

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2004, 07:07 pm »
Tried them for the first time on the home theater yesterday. The depth charges on U-571 were unreal....

Sa-dono

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2004, 05:13 am »
Good to see you found a new reference, Steve! It's always good to see you pushing the envelope, as I'm sure you enjoy improving your system as much as the rest of us. :D Hopefully one day I'll get a chance to hear the modded JC-1's...although that may be a long time from now with all the upgrades I have in the works. :mrgreen: