Nobody shares the same taste in music

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Nobody shares the same taste in music
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:10 pm »

The term "Boy" is couched in the Country and the Western, not the Southern and the Northern. No harm intended.  8)  It's to emphasize the sweeping, authoritative, statement, to all AudioCirlce members, and the World, that there are only two kinds of music, Country and Western.

Now all joking aside, what do you like better the Country, or the Western? Because a fella came up to me years ago and told me there were only two kinds of music, Country and Western. And I am still trying to figure out which one is music?

Rocket_fiddlen_Ronny
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2012, 12:24 am by Rocket_Ronny »

tim92gts

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2012, 09:46 am »
Took me 40 years to find a partner who shared my love of Zappa and psy trance, even enjoyed some Messaien
last year sufficiently to play the cd when we got home.
She also approves of my spending on Bryston products so i feel truly blessed.
Tim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm »
I must make one comment concerning the OP. Why ascribe the weight of the emotional content to lyrics? One of the things I love about music is its ability to evoke emotional responses - no lyrics required. Some of the most emotionally moving singing I've heard is devoid of actual words. Likewise, I have numerous recordings in which the singing is in a language I don't understand, but it moves me.

Mag

« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2012, 03:47 pm »
I must make one comment concerning the OP. Why ascribe the weight of the emotional content to lyrics? One of the things I love about music is its ability to evoke emotional responses - no lyrics required. Some of the most emotionally moving singing I've heard is devoid of actual words. Likewise, I have numerous recordings in which the singing is in a language I don't understand, but it moves me.

I share your point of view, but I'm saying women who by nature are feminine and wired differently. Get something entirely different emotionally out of music that has more to do with relationships, dance-ability, feelings. Whereas men for the most part are masculine in nature.

Perhaps this is why there are not more women audiophiles.

Now I haven't polled every women out there, so there are probably exceptions. Nor do I speak for all men.

I've said before, I believe music to be a human emotional interpretation of sound patterns. Animals don't interpret rythym & melodies emotinally as humans do. It's just pleasant or unpleasant sound to them. For birds what we interpret as a bird song, is just their mating call.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2012, 05:05 pm »
Well, I listen to a fairly wide assortment of music.

I like to listen for musicican skill and composer complexity.  I'm not much into vocals.  Vocals are just "extra" over the technical aspect of whatever is being performed.

My wife really, really, likes songs and music with vocalists.  So, I generally end up having to play some of my favorites and then some of her favorites.

At my house, a typical listening session might include:

Classical music - (1800 or later)
some Jazz
some Classic Rock
some more classical
some vocals (Barbara Striesand is a favorite of the Mrs) or some Sinatra

I think many people listen for different reasons.  Just enjoy the music!

HsvHeelFan

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2012, 10:35 am »
Nobody I know shares the same likes & dislikes in music I do.

For some unexplained reason, I also experience a great deal of this.  :dunno:

Be well...

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I like all  types of music, except heavy metal rock and (Some) country music.

Guy 13

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #27 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:02 pm »
The term "Boy" is couched in the Country and the Western, not the Southern and the Northern. No harm intended.  8)  It's to emphasize the sweeping, authoritative, statement, to all AudioCirlce members, and the World, that there are only two kinds of music, Country and Western.

Rocket_fiddlen_Ronny

I could not help but think about 'Angels and Demons" Robert Landon's speech about individuals jumping to conclusions due to their own perceived notions/believes. Enjoy the clip, it really speaks volumes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THWrno6lBUQ

Be well...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:36 pm »
What Photon said.  Only requirement I have is that I must be able to feel the music.

low.pfile

« Reply #29 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:53 pm »
Nobody I know shares the same likes & dislikes in music I do. Though I noticed there are one or two members that listen to some of the same albums.

Even so, my observation is that even if two people like the same song. They like it for different reasons.

Women tend to like music for emotional content and therefore are more inclined to listen to lyrics. Whereas lyrics for me for the most part is just part of the overall sound of the song and rarely know all the lyrics of a song.

One thing I can't stand in music is if the song or usually the band sounds commercial. Meaning their music is intended to generate money by appealing to the masses, lacking artistic creativity and talent.

Very few songs are hits, yet most of us recognize a hit song when nobody shares the exact same likes and dislikes in music.

Thoughts on the subject?

When I first saw your Post title, I thought you were referring to AC members not sharing the same taste in music. Which is totally possible, audio gear enthusiasts are not fully representative of the general population in musical taste (among other things). But it seems like you mean in general. While I agree that individuals will have different reasons for liking a song or a band, I can't agree with "no one having the same taste" otherwise the musician/band wouldn't have an audience and therefore they wouldn't be producing music commercially.

I agree with another earlier post stating that tastes change....I never thought I would embrace folksy rock (almost country), but currently I do. I like the honesty. But then again I'll really dig a fully synthed/looped electronically created beat at the same time. I am pretty diverse in my tastes.  I hope to have another "music listening party with friends where I had them bring over their favorite album on CD (yes, this was fairly recently) and choose 3 favorite songs from that album. We all sat around listening to everyone's choices, That's one way to find out who shares your musical tastes among your friends.

Mag

« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2012, 03:08 am »
>>I can't agree with "no one having the same taste" otherwise the musician/band wouldn't have an audience and therefore they wouldn't be producing music commercially.<<

A lot of music I listen to was influenced by my friend, that's how I got into electronic music. But he'll take extracts from a recording and cut/fade out what I consider the best part of a song. How can he do that when we like the same song?

I also brought up the song by Grace Slick- El Diablo in conversation. I said, "isn't that a great song?" He said, "oh yeah", agreeing wholeheartingly. I said, "I had reservations about listening to it, because the lyrics honour satan. He said, "no, that's not what it means", shaking his head. I still get that impression, but damn it's good. :? 

PRELUDE

« Reply #31 on: 31 Aug 2012, 03:29 am »
>>I can't agree with "no one having the same taste" otherwise the musician/band wouldn't have an audience and therefore they wouldn't be producing music commercially.<<

A lot of music I listen to was influenced by my friend, that's how I got into electronic music. But he'll take extracts from a recording and cut/fade out what I consider the best part of a song. How can he do that when we like the same song?

I also brought up the song by Grace Slick- El Diablo in conversation. I said, "isn't that a great song?" He said, "oh yeah", agreeing wholeheartingly. I said, "I had reservations about listening to it, because the lyrics honour satan. He said, "no, that's not what it means", shaking his head. I still get that impression, but damn it's good. :?
Here is a good one for you. :thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHpfDNzzoM&feature=related
My problem is that I like good music from few different genres and it cost me a lot to get all the albums. :|

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 31 Aug 2012, 04:36 am »
Hope any and all you won't be limited by genre for long.  The musical universe is a big place and can be so very rewarding.  Every culture and time in history feels and can express it via music.

mkaiser

« Reply #33 on: 31 Aug 2012, 09:34 pm »
Hope any and all you won't be limited by genre for long.  The musical universe is a big place and can be so very rewarding./quote]

If there was one "great sound" all people could agree and live with then there would not be any need for genres - basically all sounds fit all stamp. Genre is important because they give us choice and help mould us into who we are such as our emotions, personalities and creativities among others thus making us individuals. I relish the fact that i listen to bands that no one has heard of making it a unique and more personal experience.

Genres are important and influence us more than people think.

Mark