so here's a stupid noob question for you

ratso

so here's a stupid noob question for you
« on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:04 am »
so let's say i know this guy (let's call him "ratso"  :green:) who is new at this headphone game but kicking it around. i see these nice shiny headphone amps and think that would be a fun thing to buy. how are you guys integrating these into your system? all of them seem to have only one input.  i guess i could just run ONE piece of equipment into it, like my oppo for instance. but what if i want to listen to vinyl, switch wires? PIA. i could run an RCA into it from my preamp and then listen to multiple sources,  but doesn't that take away the whole purity of having a dedicated headphone amp in the first place then - most preamps have a headphone jack to start with. what are you guys doing?

Bemopti123

Re: so here's a stupid noob question for you
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:13 am »
Have an old fashioned or a traditionally designed preamp or integrated that has a REC out output.....having to do with analogue or digital physical recording devices.  While tapedecks have died out, my former LFD integrated had a tape loop, as well as my Marantz Pearl KI integrated.  My circa 1989-1990 Classe DR-6 preamp has at least 2 of them, as well as my old circa 1989 Forte preamp has them.  Loop the tape out into the headphone IN and then from the headphone OUT to the Tape IN of the in and you are in business. 

Some people do have just 1 master source/front end connected to their headphone amplifier IN.  Heck, I have seen some crazy setups, ultra reference, ultra expensive that used headphones and NO speakers at all.  1 source was it. 

ratso

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:15 am »
tape loop, you say... GENIUS  :thumb:

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:39 am »
I have multiple outputs from my CD player

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:47 am »
I use one of the two outputs from my DAC/Pre so everything is available on either setup. I never even thought twice about the setup/purity of signal thing. Honestly did not know it WAS a thing.
 My Squeezebox to DAC to DAC/Pre to amp, speakers etc..  CD player to DAC/Pre to amp, speakers etc... Vinyl to phono pre to DAC/Pre to amp etc...

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:32 am »
In looking at your system, if you're going to spend an appreciable amount of money (over $300-400) I'd recommend taking the pre-amp road - assuming that you can use your Denon as a power amp.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2012, 07:30 pm »
I have a Dac/pre/headamp unit, lots of inputs. I can easily switch sources.