14B ST -> 4B SST2?

Mike-48

14B ST -> 4B SST2?
« on: 14 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm »
We have moved to the city, and my listening room is smaller. My 14B ST, which I have enjoyed for about 10 years, seems incredible overkill, especially since I have 2 powered subs available, and I don't listen to heavy rock at ear-frying volumes. Still, I have always enjoyed the effortlessness that a large amp provides.

I am wondering if a 4B SST2 would be an upgrade. I've thought of a 14B SST2, but prices have risen considerably, and I've retired in the meantime. After reading what I can find online, I am unsure of what improvements I might expect from the SST to SST2 line (I am told the 14B ST is a member of the SST line). Although I don't notice any problems in the treble, it is an area I am most sensitive to. I listen to a lot of acoustic music, and correct timbre is important to me.

Any thoughts on 14B vs. 4B and SST vs. SST2 will be helpful. Anyone?

62Truck

Re: 14B ST -> 4B SST2?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm »
Hi Mike, you will be able to realize gains as you progress to the newer lines.  The changes are evolutionary and not revolutionary.  Many have commented on the treble smoothing out with the newer models. 

I would encourage you to try to get in for a demo if you can or even find a dealer that lets you audition in your own home for a week or two.

Please post back your findings! I bet you will be impressed.

I am a very happy 4B SST2 owner.

Ron D

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:47 am »
Well I don't think that all the early 14B-ST amps were the same as SST versions as the early ones were 500 w/ch then they switched to 600 W/ch but in terms of sonics this may have not made much if any difference...

while not an exact comparison when I migrated from a 4B-SST to a 14B-SST (later upgraded with the "Swedish choke mod" I can say that one of the largest benefits was realized in terms of low level detail retrieval - I heard so much more of what was going on in the background when I introduced the larger powered amp. Not sure if this helps but may indicate a possible loss when moving down in power.

Of course factoring in the efficiency of one's speakers can hinder or help when moving down in power.

Having owned various generations of the amps from pre-NRB (80's) to the latest SST2 I can say that the treble has benefited with each change and that is important to you.

You can buy a used 4B-SST2 amp for around $2700 and if bought low enough you won't lose any money on it so if possible maybe get one and try it out side by side - then you'll know for sure.

I still think what speakers you are using, the desired listening levels and size of room may play a large part in determining your optimal choice.

PRELUDE

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:49 am »
We have moved to the city, and my listening room is smaller. My 14B ST, which I have enjoyed for about 10 years, seems incredible overkill, especially since I have 2 powered subs available, and I don't listen to heavy rock at ear-frying volumes. Still, I have always enjoyed the effortlessness that a large amp provides.

I am wondering if a 4B SST2 would be an upgrade. I've thought of a 14B SST2, but prices have risen considerably, and I've retired in the meantime. After reading what I can find online, I am unsure of what improvements I might expect from the SST to SST2 line (I am told the 14B ST is a member of the SST line). Although I don't notice any problems in the treble, it is an area I am most sensitive to. I listen to a lot of acoustic music, and correct timbre is important to me.

Any thoughts on 14B vs. 4B and SST vs. SST2 will be helpful. Anyone?
What is your speakers?

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:36 am »
What is your speakers?

Revel Ultima Studio, about 10 yr old.  I may change them for something else, possibly Aerial 7T.  The room is small.

MOZ

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2012, 07:57 am »
Hi Mike,

I own a pair of Studio 1 too...
Had a 4B SST2 on it for some time, it was nice, really nice but when i switched on the 7B SST2... i just didn't recognize my Studio's  8)
Much more spaciousness, deeper bass (the 4B SST2 had never been able to handle the low end correctly in fact on those speakers).
So my advice would be more : stay out of it !
Go for the 7B's if you wish and have the money.

I also tried recently some Mark Levinson mono blocs N°436, and the match was absolutely perfect  :duh:
Much much better than with the Bryston (more life, more infra, more control and stage opening). You can find a pair of used 436 for 6000$ on audiogon actually and that's the best thing you could do for your Studio's...

PS : i'm using my 4B SST2 (bridged mono mode) for my center channel now (Voice) but might sell it to go for a 7B SST2 instead or get an extra 436 (but that's hard to find alone...).

Ron D

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:41 pm »
I have 7B-SST2 amps on my Revel F52s so I suspect that I know a little about the performance of Revel speakers with Bryston amps. In this instance it may be a step backwards and as you are now toying with the idea of changing the speakers to better suit your now smaller space I believe that is the first step to take before you swap amps

mkaiser

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:25 pm »
Are you moving into a house or apartment/condominium?

Downsize your speakers first to fit the smaller space and make note of the sensitivity and impedance of the new speakers as this will determine the power of amp you require to effectively drive the speakers to satisfying performance. If you have a smaller room and you listen at average (moderate) listening levels the 4bsst2 will be more than enough.
Use the extra money on room treatments to improve and stabilize the speakers performance.

Good luck!

Mark

mkaiser

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:42 pm »
I also tried recently some Mark Levinson mono blocs N°436, and the match was absolutely perfect 
Much much better than with the Bryston (more life, more infra, more control and stage opening)./quote]

Perhaps you need to get those ML based on what you say... don't audiophiles pursue the best sound.....

PRELUDE

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2012, 09:03 pm »
Revel Ultima Studio, about 10 yr old.  I may change them for something else, possibly Aerial 7T.  The room is small.
You would need the 14B or a pair of 7Bs to drive the Revel Ultima Studio or Aerial 7T.Now if the room is small and you said you have two powered sub,then try different speakers with the same amp and see how you like it then go for amp and most likely the 4BSST2 will do the job with no problem.
BTW,Did you have a thread long time ago I am not sure where I saw it that you compare this to speakers to Linkwitz's Orion?

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:10 pm »
BTW,Did you have a thread long time ago I am not sure where I saw it that you compare this to speakers to Linkwitz's Orion?

No, that was not me; I've never heard the Orion.

Thanks for the comment -- and to all who replied. Based on the large proportion who who preferred the 14B, I'm going to address the speakers first, then think about a possible amplifier upgrade. 

Mike-48

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm »
Are you moving into a house or apartment/condominium?  Downsize your speakers first to fit the smaller space [...]. If you have a smaller room and you listen at average (moderate) listening levels the 4bsst2 will be more than enough.  Use the extra money on room treatments to improve and stabilize the speakers performance.

Mark, thanks for your perspective. We have moved into a house; but here in Portland (OR), houses are smaller. As to room treatment, I am a firm believer. I have bass traps and panels moved from the previous room & have installed some of them in the new room. Also, I am consulting with a local acoustician. The room is really the last frontier of audio, and IMO the most cost-effective way to make major improvements in many cases.  -Mike

acadie

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:15 pm »
What is the size of your new room?

MOZ

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm »
I have 7B-SST2 amps on my Revel F52s so I suspect that I know a little about the performance of Revel speakers with Bryston amps.

Speakers like Studio/Salon aso really need some power, lot of.
7B SST2 wil do the job with ease, but, they aren't the "best" audiophile products to go with them...
We've done side to side comparison, switching from the same audio samples toward each amp and the results were just  :o
Bryston 7B SST2 amps are a bit thin sounding, lack the real life sounding you'll find on the ML 436 (very human, voices are incredible compared to the Bryston).
With the Bryston the stage is smaller and instruments sounds a bit "green" (i don't know how to say in english). The 436 go further in the deep end (more infra), gets more control of the Studio's and are capable of any power at any time (1400W on 2 ohms).
You just can't get the end of them...
So it's a huge step to go on such amp...

On the contrary, using the Bryston feels a bit better on Home theatre, they are faster and brighter.
Using two 7B SST2 + 4B SST2 on my front speakers (LCR) had never sounded better in my home.
Switching to the ML 436 has never sounded better on the 2ch way...
So i had to choose, and i really love to hear music, so i made my choice...

PS : maybe size matters, after all (left is a 7B SST2 and right is a 436, clic the image to see it) :-)

« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2012, 07:19 am by MOZ »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2012, 08:00 pm »
Sent: August-17-12 2:58 PM
To: 'jamestanner@bryston.com'
Subject: 7B SST2

Hi James

I do own a pair of 7B-SST² that I bought from Roch Dumouchel last summer. I plugged them directly to the wall in their own individual outlet (direct line to panel box). Would adding a Torus (BIT) unit be worth it?

I also have the Bryston BDP-1 and the BDA-1 units. That combo was a great surprise. 

But I am still stunned on how good are the 7B-SST². There were suppose to be temporary solution until I find an amplifier I like, but the search did end last summer. Maybe one day the 28B-SST…

Best regards

Basile Noel
Ottawa

Mike-48

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2012, 03:51 am »
What is the size of your new room?

The room I'm using now is 15' 9" long by 13' 10" wide. I have the speakers several feet in from the outside long wall. At the outside, the ceiling height is 5' 9", and for 5' 5" into the room, it slopes upward to a height of 7' 6".  It stays at that height for the rest of the room width.  I have the listening chair almost against the rear wall, with an acoustic panel behind it.

If I build a room in the basement, it will be about 13' 6" wide by 21' long by 7' 5" high.

SoundGame

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:44 pm »
Hi Mike,

I own a pair of Studio 1 too...
Had a 4B SST2 on it for some time, it was nice, really nice but when i switched on the 7B SST2... i just didn't recognize my Studio's  8)
Much more spaciousness, deeper bass (the 4B SST2 had never been able to handle the low end correctly in fact on those speakers).
So my advice would be more : stay out of it !
Go for the 7B's if you wish and have the money.

I also tried recently some Mark Levinson mono blocs N°436, and the match was absolutely perfect  :duh:
Much much better than with the Bryston (more life, more infra, more control and stage opening). You can find a pair of used 436 for 6000$ on audiogon actually and that's the best thing you could do for your Studio's...

PS : i'm using my 4B SST2 (bridged mono mode) for my center channel now (Voice) but might sell it to go for a 7B SST2 instead or get an extra 436 (but that's hard to find alone...).

This is interesting, as Doug Schneider, owner of Soundstage Networks has a 4B-SST2 as his reference amp matched to a pair of Revel Ultima Salon2's and speaks very highly of it in that application.

MOZ

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2012, 10:02 am »
Well, i don't know for the Salon 2, but concerning the Studio 1... you just have to switch from a 4B SST2 to two 7B SST2 and you will see what happens :roll:

You'll just discover that the Studio can go so deep with the bass (i couldn't believe the difference the first time i heard the 7B's on them) !
Much more controlled, cleaner and easier.
And if the bottom is much better, the mediums and highs also get the benefice, everything sounds better with the 7B's.
I had a 4B SST2 on my Studio's for 3 years.
So my advice still is (for a Studio 1) get some 7B's for them, at least...
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm by MOZ »

MOZ

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2012, 12:35 pm »
NB : I just had lunch with my HT integrator and we talked about the Studio 2 driven by a 4B SST2...
He told me that the Studio 2 and the Salon 2 were much more easier to drive than the first Ultima speakers. Those are totaly different speakers, they changed a lot of things on them.
The Ultima 1 serie has complicated filters and is quite hard to fill with power, quite hungry and demanding.
So that certainly why a 4B could be used on the Studio 2 or a Salon 2.
Nevertheless, using a 7B on them would anyway be a major upgrade  8)

SoundGame

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:51 pm »
NB : I just had lunch with my HT integrator and we talked about the Studio 2 driven by a 4B SST2...
He told me that the Studio 2 and the Salon 2 were much more easier to drive than the first Ultima speakers. Those are totaly different speakers, they changed a lot of things on them.
The Ultima 1 serie has complicated filters and is quite hard to fill with power, quite hungry and demanding.
So that certainly why a 4B could be used on the Studio 2 or a Salon 2.
Nevertheless, using a 7B on them would anyway be a major upgrade  8)

This explains it.  The 7B would definitely show its stuff on a speaker that was more difficult to drive.