Aerosmith, so what do you think of them?

frank111

Aerosmith, so what do you think of them?
« on: 12 Aug 2012, 03:38 pm »
 I saw Aerosmith in the mid '70's & late '70's , have their early stuff ,& they were good. Just listened to their new single 'Legendary Child'- a few of J.Perrys riffs in the song took me back to the album Rocks. I dont think anything since Rocks really rocks. Seems to me they have evolved in a commercial way, too bad. They need to find their roots again, thats it, i've come up with their next album: Aerosmith- Roots.   

coke

Re: Aerosmith, so what do you think of them?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2012, 03:42 pm »
 I sometimes use this song to demo my system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua-4NUURZjg

frank111

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2012, 03:51 pm »
 COKE,  your joking right? nothing personal of course.  :o :o :o

decal

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2012, 03:55 pm »
I have always enjoyed their music but the quality of their recordings are, IMHO, horrendous.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2012, 03:58 pm »
COKE,  your joking right? nothing personal of course.  :o :o :o

I think he's making the comment that Aerosmith shouldn't be taken seriously.  And I think that's fine, they never were anything serious anyway.  Good rock band that managed to stick around through drug abuse and changing musical scenes, they are now nothing but a parity of themselves with Tyler's main gig being American Idol.  American Idol, dude, seriously?

coke

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2012, 04:02 pm »
 :green:

frank111

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2012, 04:06 pm »
:green:
        I sat back in my chair & asked myself " mmm wonder if he really does listen to that?  have a good day. :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2012, 04:22 pm »
I think of them the exact way I think of about half dozen other bands, like: Van Halen, Bruce Springsteen, among others.... Their first couple of albums are fantastic, then something happens and I can't channel fast enough.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2012, 04:34 pm »
They seemed to peak with Toys In The Attic as far as I'm concerned.
Their lead guitarist's favorite guitar is a Gibson Lucille so that's a plus in my book.

MttBsh

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2012, 04:43 pm »
I saw them for free in the early 70s, thought they were "OK" but forgettable - I saw so many great bands in those days, Aerosmith was definately not one of them. That they became so popular and sell out concerts 40 years later serves to remind that mediocrity thrives in the music business. More power to them I guess.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:08 pm »
Pretty good local band. Tyler lives just down the road a piece. Seems like a nice fella. Drinks a bit, though.

Doc

kgturner

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:11 pm »
They had their moment in the sun. Pretty much irrelevant now. IMHO.

Kevin T

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:42 pm »
Another nostalgia band. Nothing new and long past their prime but their prime was sketchy because of drug use.  Still, they had enough good songs  ack in their prime to place them above lame ass bands of their era that still tour  (Bon Jovi, Van Halen, etc).  I'd see these guys over Springsteen, Bon Jovi, etc. 

I'd rather not see any of these guys but have to admit that I crank it up when Dream On, Walk This Way, and Sweet Emotion come on the radio!  Those are still great songs.

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:50 pm »
.. I forgot, Toys In the Attic, Last Child, Back in the Saddle...all great songs.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2012, 05:59 pm »
What was really odd was seeing Brittany Speakers doing "Walk This Way" during a Super Bowl.
That was a WTF? moment for me.

ncblue

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2012, 07:24 pm »
They've had a few good songs. Really overrated in my opinion. Run DMC resurrected a career that sould have stayed dead. But to each their own.

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2012, 08:52 pm »
Run DMC was crap and that version of the song sucked.  Like them or not, in there time, they were a ver good band.  Drugs made their live shows inconsistent and their later albums were much more ballad oriented pop but the did that pretty well, even though it's not my cup of tea.   

Steven Tyler was a great front man in his day and Joe Perry an excellent rock guitarist who many famous guys "borrowed" from. The fact that they are still alive, after all the alcohol and drugs these guys consumed, is amazing and the fact that they can even perform at all is impressive.

They Rock as well as any geezers but I don't think I'd call them overrated because I don't recall hearing my hype about their new album or tour.  They are a nostalgia band at this stage.  Acts like Madonna make me sick. She sucked in her prime and who wants to see some wrinkled old bag shaking her boney ass on stage?  Every time she goes on tour, the usual media morons pretend she is still relevant.   

kgturner

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2012, 09:03 pm »
Run DMC was crap....

I was never a huge fan of Run DMC. I think I owned as many of their albums as I did Aerosmiths. To offhandedly dismiss them is crap is a little disingenuous if you ask me. Run DMC are more a pioneer of their respective genre than Aerosmith ever was/will be.

Kevin T

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2012, 09:15 pm »
I was never a huge fan of Run DMC. I think I owned as many of their albums as I did Aerosmiths. To offhandedly dismiss them is crap is a little disingenuous if you ask me. Run DMC are more a pioneer of their respective genre than Aerosmith ever was/will be.

Kevin T

True, Run DMC was a pioneer of Rap, but I think their music was crap and does not hold up over time.  I still listen to Aerosmith's older music and am amazed by how well it holds up after all these years. I can't say the same about DMC.

Being a pioneer doesn't make a band good. The BeeGee's were bigger disco pioneers than, say, Stevie Ray Vaughn was to Blues Rock, but I'll take Stevie"s music any day.

geowak

« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:05 am »
I am like many, I think. I liked the EARLY stuff. Toys in the Attic era. Many bands changed with the times, and lost the early magic of that signature sound.
David Bowie, Van Halen, Santana, Elton John, Billy Joel, and the list goes on and on....