Portable, not in-ear recommendations: Senn PX100-IIi or ?

saeyedoc

Looking for a pair, mostly to use with an iphone while on vacation on the beach. I hate anything in my ear. Will also use them occasionally with my macbook at home.
Mostly classic rock, iphone has best quality MP3 trancoded from Flac. I don't listen very loud.
Would like to keep them fairly inexpensive.
Saw some recommendations for the Sennheiser PX-100 iii, they have them on Amazon for about $50, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: Portable, not in-ear recommendations: Senn PX100-IIi or ?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2012, 07:37 pm »
I'd choose the porta-pro over the Sennhs personally. It does well with fast paced music, with a nice and puncy bass.
The PX100 sound signature is laid back.

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2012, 11:20 pm »
Both are good - I have had both of them at some point ... I think Porta Pros are punchier than Senns but I think Senns are more refined ...

Porta Pros are very old (but successful) design - headphone technology has significantly improved since then ... I would personally go for newer offerings (not necessarily latest)

A lot of people like koss 75s - I think they are just ok
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/koss-ksc-75.php

Grados are default phones for Rock and you can move up the line - I think Grado 125 is the sweet spot in their line (for me)
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/grado-sr-60i.php

If you are buying new ... I'd recommend giving the headphone.com guys a call - they are knowledgeable and provide excellent service
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/type/earpad-headphones.php

Cheers

saeyedoc

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2012, 01:08 am »
It's really difficult to find good headphones to demo. I did find someone who carries the Grado line, I'm going to check them out.
Any Beyerdynamic fans? I have a $200 credit I can get at Brookstone for some surveys I do. They carry the T50p, which I could get for about $75 out of pocket.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2012, 05:06 am »
It's really difficult to find good headphones to demo. I did find someone who carries the Grado line, I'm going to check them out.
Any Beyerdynamic fans? I have a $200 credit I can get at Brookstone for some surveys I do. They carry the T50p, which I could get for about $75 out of pocket.

I'd go for the DT1350s if they're available to you. They are widely considered to be significantly better than the T50ps.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2012, 07:17 am »
Hi,

I've tried aiaiai tracks which are quite good as well.  Another product is Jays V-jays which I thought they were a little better.  Both are a little over $50.

Cheers Rod

saeyedoc

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2012, 01:43 pm »
I'd go for the DT1350s if they're available to you. They are widely considered to be significantly better than the T50ps.
I've heard that too. May hold out for a few months to see if Brookstone starts carrying the 1350, I'd like to use the credit I can get there. Interesting that Beyerdynamic groups the 1350 under applications for live music while the T50 is for compact/portable use. I wonder if the 1350 is considerably larger and/or heavier.

ddemeterio5

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2012, 04:05 pm »
I have the Senn PX100 IIi, they're very good for the price and portable.  I would highly recommend the Creative Labs Aurvana Live which is based on the same drivers as the discontinued Denon AH-D1001.  Although not as portable as the Senn but you make up for it with a fuller sound, better isolation, and lesser sound leakage.  Tyll Hertsens of Inner Fidelity raves about them and they're hard to beat in the sub $100 price point.  If you're interested, you can read his review here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate