Subs for ESL63s?

J-Pak

Subs for ESL63s?
« on: 6 Aug 2012, 01:07 am »
I'm looking for either a single or pair of subs that can keep up with the ESL63s. They don't need to go super low since I don't listen to any electronic music or much full scale classical.

Quality bass over quantity is more important to me, ie ones that can do the "disappearing act"

Thanks guys  :thumb:

TONEPUB

Re: Subs for ESL63s?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2012, 01:31 am »
I'm going to be trying the smallest REL 8" Downward firing ones with my 57's soon.  If you haven't purchased by then, I'll keep you posted.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2012, 01:35 am »
I'd emulate the subs that were considered best with the 57s in the day, and those were Gradient 8" OBs.
http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/gradient_sw-57_subwoofer/index.html

Later Gradient made a model with 12s for the 63:
http://diy-hifi.net/2012/05/13/gradient-subwoofers-for-quad-esl-are-back/

What I would do now, though, is use a larger driver, such as a 15 or 18" in an H frame, crossed over very low and running the 63's full range - unless you are so lucky as to have a really good active crossover at your disposal, then my first try would be a high pass with a steep slope to the 63s and a steep slope low pass to the subs at around 50Hz.

J-Pak

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2012, 01:45 am »
Thanks Tonepub.

I'm aware of the Gradients, but my thinking is woofers have surely advanced in the 25 years (or more) when they were first introduced?

My entire system is Pass Labs, so I am thinking about a Pass active cross over.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2012, 01:56 am »
I was suggesting emulating the Gradients, not buying them! Emulating them in that they were open baffle and dipolar.

As to improvements in woofers over the last 25 years; I'd say these have all been in the area of extreme performance for any given size allowed by new designs of surrounds and spiders enabling very high excursions. That and lighter weight enabled by the use of neodymium magnets. On the other hand I'm not sure there have been any significant advances in sound quality in the type of driver typically used for open baffle - large diameter, high efficiency - in the last 25 years. JBLs and Altecs still are valid drivers.

If you don't care to go OB, I would be looking at Rythmik:
http://rythmikaudio.com/index.html
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2012, 05:52 am by Russell Dawkins »

GT Audio Works

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2012, 02:05 am »
I'm looking for either a single or pair of subs that can keep up with the ESL63s. They don't need to go super low since I don't listen to any electronic music or much full scale classical.

Quality bass over quantity is more important to me, ie ones that can do the "disappearing act"

Thanks guys  :thumb:
How about a pair of Maggie Tympani bass panels ? If you have the room.
Or if your a DIY guy a couple of,, or maybe 2 pairs of,, 15" woofers in an open baffle with a digital x over.     
                                                                       Greg

Angaria

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2012, 05:50 am »
Rythmik makes OB subs too.

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2012, 06:16 am »
HI,

After extensive testing and listening sessions, I've settled for a Rel B1. It just gave the best setup and most musical combination, fell into place immediately.
Combine it with a Bryston 10bsub crossover, because my amp wont let me cut off the lower frequencies to the esl's, which is very necessary in order not to trigger the safety switch all the time....dial it in at 120 hz I think, (will have a look if you need it) and never had a problem anymore, and what a marvellous setup it is.

Good luck!
Marius

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2012, 06:21 am »
Another great and inexpensive sub that comes to mind might be a pair of Tannoy TS8's  I used to run a pair of these with my full range Rethms.  Made a nice combination and kept up with the Lowther driver easily.  Super small and easy to place in the room too.

J-Pak

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2012, 03:36 pm »
I was suggesting emulating the Gradients, not buying them! Emulating them in that they were open baffle and dipolar.

As to improvements in woofers over the last 25 years; I'd say these have all been in the area of extreme performance for any given size allowed by new designs of surrounds and spiders enabling very high excursions. That and lighter weight enabled by the use of neodymium magnets. On the other hand I'm not sure there have been any significant advances in sound quality in the type of driver typically used for open baffle - large diameter, high efficiency - in the last 25 years. JBLs and Altecs still are valid drivers.

If you don't care to go OB, I would be looking at Rythmik:
http://rythmikaudio.com/index.html

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am capable with a soldering iron (and basic metal work) and have built a few amps, but I don't have access to any wood working tools. So I was thinking about keeping it retail products for now, unless there are some kits for OB subs.

HI,

After extensive testing and listening sessions, I've settled for a Rel B1. It just gave the best setup and most musical combination, fell into place immediately.
Combine it with a Bryston 10bsub crossover, because my amp wont let me cut off the lower frequencies to the esl's, which is very necessary in order not to trigger the safety switch all the time....dial it in at 120 hz I think, (will have a look if you need it) and never had a problem anymore, and what a marvellous setup it is.

Good luck!
Marius

Marius, is this with the ESL57 or 63? Thanks.

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2012, 04:03 pm »
63's

Marius, is this with the ESL57 or 63? Thanks.

J-Pak

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:15 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts on these H-frames on Linkwitz's page? http://www.linkwitzlab.com/x-proto.htm#PW1

clyde

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:47 pm »
I have the Audio Artistry Vivaldi speaker designed by Linkwitz.  The dipole bass design is exactly as described by Linkwitz on his web site per your reference.  It integrates perfectly with the dipole midrange, crossing  over at 120hz.   It goes down to 20hz and sounds great, limited only by excursion of the drivers.  I think it would work well with your ESL 63. 

I also did a dipole prototype of my own described here:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/34556-ib15-dipole-prototype.html which had greater SPL capability if you really need it.