Help!No option on IMac for internal speaker use

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Help!No option on IMac for internal speaker use
« on: 5 Aug 2012, 02:49 pm »
I uninstalled  PAD which I believe was for Pure Music software but I can't find in System preferences in the Sound catagory any option to use internal speakers., also nothing in Midi-Setup. It is like it just disappeared when I first installed the PAD driver download about 8 months ago. I want to be able to just have sound out of my computer without having to fire up my whole system.
 Thanks for any help.
 Bill

JohnR

Re: Help!No option on IMac for internal speaker use
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:24 am »
Hi Bill, I've not seen PAD make the built-in output disappear (on three machines). Did you remove it from within Pure Music? Perhaps try updating and/or contact Rob the author of PM with specific details (your post was woefully short on information that would help anyone find the issue - machine, version of OS, version of PM, etc)

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:56 pm »
 :duh: :duh: :duh: I guess it shows internal speakers after you take out the tos-link cable I had attached.Unbelievable the level of stupidity I can reach with computers.Problem solved.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2012, 12:44 am »
 :D We all do things like that!

I find it to be odd that it's done that way, as sometimes you want the digital output as well as the internal speakers. It must be related to the dual use as headphone output.

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2012, 05:15 am »
it looks like you solved it Bill.

Thought I'd just chime it to say that a few OS's ago (pre X, I think) you could leave the Toslink cable connected and just switch between built-in speakers and the Toslink output (both appeared in Audio Midi Setup) . I was bummed when they took that away.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm »
That is a bummer.  I'm still on the music server sidelines, but hoping to go with an iMac that I could do toslink (30 foot run from desk to audio system) while using it's speakers for surfing/etc.   :(

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm »
That is a bummer.  I'm still on the music server sidelines, but hoping to go with an iMac that I could do toslink (30 foot run from desk to audio system) while using it's speakers for surfing/etc.   :(

Well, you can do it by adding a USB DAC or headphones. Would be simpler if you didn't have to tho...