DVD A & SACD transport with BDA-1 compared to BCD-1

zeiter

If I was to purchase a DVD-A & SACD player to hook to my BDA-1 as a transport, do I still need to go very high prices or medium level will do  since it's only a transport ? i'm not talking about $100 player , but say in the $700 range, and not those 4K players . And what should I expect compared to my BCD-1 ( which by the way, I prefer the sound on it's own vs  with the BDA-1) ? Thanks

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DVD A & SACD transport with BDA-1 compared to BCD-1
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:10 pm »
There are no SACD or universal players that play hirez SACD to the BDA-1, since DSD SACD output is limited to after the player DAC (ie analog outs) or digitally only via HDMI.  And there are several universal players that also do not allow hirez DVDA (I.e MLP) via digital outs either.  The Oppos do, and some others, but not all.  Of course 24/96 will be fine, as it is unprotected LPCM and available via any DVD players outs.

zeiter

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:19 pm »
There are no SACD or universal players that play hirez SACD to the BDa-1, since DSD SACD output is limited to after the player DAC (ie analog outs) or digitally only via HDMI.  And there are several universal players that also do not allow hirez DVDA (I.e MLP) via digital outs either.  The Oppos do, and some others, but not all.  Of course 24/96 will be fine, as it is unprotected LPCM and available via any DVD players outs.
Thanks, but let's say with an Oppo BDP-93 ( which i had in mind), or  another player that allows 24/96  , will it be worth the trouble compared to the BCD-1 ? Assuming you've tried it. I heard also ( besides the Oppo ) that DVD A is converted to 48 when used via digital output and not even 96.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:24 pm »
No I have not tried any transport wi the BDa1 when I evaluated it, just computer or spdif converters. 

The Oppo will not truncate DVDa to 48k, at least my 83SE doesn't.

No offense to James or anyone on this circle but if you like the BCD better as a DAC, then look to other DACs other than the bda1....you didn't like it.

zeiter

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:37 pm »
No I have not tried any transport wi the BDa1 when I evaluated it, just computer or spdif converters. 

The Oppo will not truncate DVDa to 48k, at least my 83SE doesn't.

No offense to James or anyone on this circle but if you like the BCD better as a DAC, then look to other DACs other than the bda1....you didn't like it.
I did not say I don't like the BDA-1, for some reason I prefer the sound of my BCD-1 by itself compared to paired with the BDA-1, ( and that is not with a blind test, as I had my son do the switching, and out of 10 times, 8 times I could not tell the difference, but the 2 times that I did, I prefered the BCD-1, maybe concidence, who knows, but now it's in my mind )  and I have no plans of changing it. I use it with the BDP-1, and with some Hi RES downloads from HD Tracks, I'm very happy with it.  Maybe I should stick to HI RES downloads, instead of investing in a DVD A player ?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:56 pm »
Ah sorry, didn't know you had the wonderful bdp-1, etc. 

Unless you are looking for multichannel or video I'd stick to ripping discs and using the bdp-1 as your transport.  It is world class IMHO.

zeiter

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2012, 04:05 pm »
Ah sorry, didn't know you had the wonderful bdp-1, etc. 

Unless you are looking for multichannel or video I'd stick to ripping discs and using the bdp-1 as your transport.  It is world class IMHO.
Thanks Ted, I'll probably do that, as I have no interest in multichannel or video at all. Only thing is download is limited compared to available hardware, but I guess download content is improving.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2012, 04:42 pm »
Rip your DVDA discs and SACD discs (which would then need DSD to PCM processing at say 24/176 since your DAC is not DSD-capable) for a plethora of selections.  :)

jjc1

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2012, 06:18 pm »
  First off, you will need a de-embedder to send the signal to the BDA1, via HDMI. These are not expensive, about $40 on Monoprice. I use it with an old Oppo 970h (which cost $160 a few years ago) as a transport and I get excellent sound with this settup for both SACD and DVD A. If you are considering the new Oppo, I would suggest the BDP-93 for $500 since you won't need the better DACs in the BDP95 since you would be using the Bryston as a DAC.

stereoal

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm »
I have a BDA hooked up to both a BCD and an Arcam CD 23. The Bryston BCD sounds better than the Arcam even though they are both being heard through the BDA. The Bryston has better bass and clarity and a slightly improved soundstage. One of the reasons is the Bryston CD player has a better clock than the Arcam. So if you use a low price CD player as a transport, it won't sound as good as a better one because of the clocks in each unit. To my ears, the BCD sounds better heard through the BDA than it does by itself.

zeiter

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2012, 02:39 am »
  First off, you will need a de-embedder to send the signal to the BDA1, via HDMI. These are not expensive, about $40 on Monoprice. I use it with an old Oppo 970h (which cost $160 a few years ago) as a transport and I get excellent sound with this settup for both SACD and DVD A. If you are considering the new Oppo, I would suggest the BDP-93 for $500 since you won't need the better DACs in the BDP95 since you would be using the Bryston as a DAC.
That's a great idea, since HDMI on the Oppo transmits 24/96 or even up to 24/192, and then I can hook to my BDA-1 via digital coax. You said you get excellent sound with that setup . Do you think it removes any quality from original sound ?

zeiter

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2012, 02:41 am »
So if you use a low price CD player as a transport, it won't sound as good as a better one because of the clocks in each unit. To my ears, the BCD sounds better heard through the BDA than it does by itself.
Well that answers the transport question, and for the second part, sends me again to compare my BCD-1 with & without the BDA-1

jjc1

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2012, 09:18 pm »
That's a great idea, since HDMI on the Oppo transmits 24/96 or even up to 24/192, and then I can hook to my BDA-1 via digital coax. You said you get excellent sound with that setup . Do you think it removes any quality from original sound ?

Don't understand your question. Does what remove quality from the original sound?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2012, 09:59 pm »

I am an early adopter de-embedder guy (see my review from 2 years ago on this Circle; I stickied it) and I would not recommend the de-embedder for DVD-A.  The Oppo will do 24/192 DVD-A quite nicely from coax and not require the multiple connections and jitter-inducing HDMI path.  The de-embedder, when used with an Oppo, is really for BluRay (up to 24/192) and for those of you who don't have either a DSD-capable DAC or an offline DSD-to-PCM solution (like ripping SACD, as per my guide and guidelines, then converting to PCM at a high 24/176k or above).  The Oppo downrez's DSD (if PCM is set in the SACD menu) to 24/88 for the de-embedder.  The de-embedder is a cheap solution, but not always the best IMO.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm by ted_b »

zeiter

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm »
I don't want to turn this into an Oppo thread, but according to the manual of the BDP-95, SACD cannot be sent through coax, only by HDMI or analog, and DVD Audio HI RES, same thing only HDMI or analog. And you're right, I read on some reviews that the de-embedder is not such a great idea for that purpose, even though some find it very good, different opinions. So in the end, I guess either I could  get a BDP-95 for HI RES material, and use it with it's own built in Sabre 32 DAC which is highly rated in reviews. But before going through that route, I'll have to find out if the BDP-95 used with HI RES media will really give me an advantage over the BCD-1 used with redbook, either on its own or coupled with the BDA-1. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm »
I don't want to turn this into an Oppo thread, but according to the manual of the BDP-95, SACD cannot be sent through coax, only by HDMI or analog, and DVD Audio HI RES, same thing only HDMI or analog. And you're right, I read on some reviews that the de-embedder is not such a great idea for that purpose, even though some find it very good, different opinions. So in the end, I guess either I could  get a BDP-95 for HI RES material, and use it with it's own built in Sabre 32 DAC which is highly rated in reviews. But before going through that route, I'll have to find out if the BDP-95 used with HI RES media will really give me an advantage over the BCD-1 used with redbook, either on its own or coupled with the BDA-1.

Again...NO SACD can be sent through coax.  Period.  Doesn't matter the player.  It must first be converted in the player to PCM, then sent to HDMI and de-embedded.  But Oppos do allow protected DVD-A through coax (they just don;t advertise it cuz the MLP standard is to not allow it, but the Mediatek chip does..we've discussed this for many years).

I still contend that you are barking up the wrong tree to look for a hirez transport solution when you already own one of the best...the BDP-1.  Just rip your discs, download a few more, and voila, you have a wonderful hirez collection.  And my HiRez Music Circle has all the primers and guides you need to do that.

zeiter

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2012, 12:05 am »
Ted, you convinced me. Easiest way for me is sticking to HI RES downloads. Thanks

ronman

« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:48 am »
Interesting thread.

My personal experience is that red book cd sounds best on a dedicated cd player versus ripping it and playing via BDP-1. Before I actually did proper listening comparitive sessions, the BDP-1 for all my listening was plenty fine. Tried various transports through the BDA-1 and prefered the cleaner "live" sound from the transport compared to the exact same cd through the BDP-1 (dont get me wrong, the BDP-1 is damn good......I prefer the cd player to play cds. Hi-res download music beats the equivalent redbook cd hands down.) The BDP-1 is really handy when I have guests, just load a suitable playlist and then enjoy your guests company. Lately I only use the cd transport if I am sitting and paying attention to the redbook music I am listening to, hi-res I use the BDP-1 (or if I cant decide on a redbook cd to play). 

zeiter

« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2012, 11:11 am »
Interesting thread.

My personal experience is that red book cd sounds best on a dedicated cd player versus ripping it and playing via BDP-1. Before I actually did proper listening comparitive sessions, the BDP-1 for all my listening was plenty fine. Tried various transports through the BDA-1 and prefered the cleaner "live" sound from the transport compared to the exact same cd through the BDP-1 (dont get me wrong, the BDP-1 is damn good......I prefer the cd player to play cds. Hi-res download music beats the equivalent redbook cd hands down.) The BDP-1 is really handy when I have guests, just load a suitable playlist and then enjoy your guests company. Lately I only use the cd transport if I am sitting and paying attention to the redbook music I am listening to, hi-res I use the BDP-1 (or if I cant decide on a redbook cd to play).
I totally agree, I prefer the sound of my CDs through my BCD-1 as compared to ripping them in WAV and playing though the BDP-1. They're more alive. And also, when I play Hi RES downloads through the BDP-1, it's  the opposite, and I find it sounding better than  CDs on the BCD-1. So exactly same conclusion, I play CDs through my BCD-1 and HI RES downloads on the BDP-1, or being lazy to change CDs, I  use a playlist on the BDP-1 for long listening sessions.

Marius

« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm »
Hi,

today I learned that Decca will soon release a remastered Ring  with accompanying Bluraydisc, with the complete Ring on one disc presented as lossless 24-bit files.

Read all about in on: http://www.the-wagnerian.com/2012/08/solti-ring-cycle-has-been-remastered.html?m=1

How do I get this into the BDP1 or at least the BDA1?
If I play a SACD and use the digital out, the BDA1 locks on 44.1, I presume 16 bit, like you all describe above. I can play it through my BD-Players analog out and the BP26 of course , but would prefer a route through the BDP1/BDA1.

Guess it will be the same with this BlurayDisc? 24 bit lossless files but no way to get them onto the BDP1? Hope Decca releases them as download too..

Marius