Open Invit8tions V2

6thplanet

Open Invit8tions V2
« on: 31 Jul 2012, 02:12 am »
After experimenting a bunch with OB mids and H-frame woofers I finalized my progress with this speaker:

All the drivers seemed to play together nicely so I went on to the finished design. These are what happened:

I entered them into the MWAF that Parts Express hosts yearly in Springboro, OH a few weeks ago. I placed 3rd in the over $200 class. It's kinda inspired by the Linkwitz Orions, but done entirely with passive components. The tweeter is an LCY-110 which has its face plate removed, I milled the opening in the baffle, and mounted it directly to the baffle. This allowed me to get the mid and tweeter closer together and helped time align the two. The baffle is 10 guage 5052 aluminum plate with woven Carbon Fiber/Copper laminated on the front and Cascade VB-2 Damping on the back. The midrange is an Audax Areogel HM130Z0, and the woofers are Audax Aerogel HM210Z12's. The bases are made of 1" thick Walnut butcherblock countertop. The internal woofer baffles are 3/4" MDF. Crossover duties are 12dB @ 90Hz low pass on the woofers, 6dB @ 150Hz high pass to the mids, then a serial crossover based on the Acoustic Reality platform between the mid and tweeter (6dB @ 2500Hz). This design employs no capacitors in it yielding no phase shift through the crossover point. The build pictures are located here:
http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o624/6thplanet/Open%20Invit8tions/?start=all
I plan to replace the HM210's in the H-frame with something a bit "stouter" and subwoofer oriented as the Audaxes definatly have their limit (X-max). I had 4 of them on hand and the highish Q allowed them to work pretty good for bass duties at the time of the build (also complimented the mid, of course  8) ), but they could be utilized in a much better design that would employ their nice midrange/midbass prowlness!! That and they are NLA, so to lose one or more would be a devistating loss to me!! :cry: Overall I think this is the best sounding speaker I've built to date and it's gonna be hard to ever go back to putting speakers in "boxes". I still have yet to venture into T-lines so that might happen next...
Thanks to the guys here for the help in learning some H-frame-O/B theory and understanding behind this type of sound reproduction. Its been a path of enlightenment and joy and will be a great part of builds to come!

6thplanet

Re: Open Invit8tions V2
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2013, 07:48 am »
Hey guys, thought I'd post up some of my latest OB projects...
This one is an all Dayton RS series, with a 7" MTM OB above an Omni 8"(10" passive) bass bin.

And a Hivi D series with a B&G neo3. Mid is a 5" and bass is an 8 in a ported bass bin, port is out the bottom.

Both have been pretty fun builds utilizing what I had on hand. All x-overs are passive, I find that part of the build the most rewarding. Kinda like building an acoustic puzzle without a "picture" to build towards. Maybe sonic equality among the drivers and pleasing ones ears could be the "picture" I guess...

Lazz

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2013, 11:00 pm »
Nice job there 6th'. Looks like you have used many tweeters. I am thinking of purchasing the LCY130. What do you think of the sound quality of the LCY 110 compared to the other tweeters you have used.Regards.

6thplanet

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2013, 02:59 am »
The 110 is the only true ribbon tweeter I've used. Otherwise its a really nicely built unit. I'd have a hard time paying retail $$ for them as I bought a set used. After playing with them they justify being a pricey unit, they sound really nice, prolly the best sounding tweeter I've had so far. The only thing I don't get is why they put a round opening in front of a square ribbon.  :scratch:  The neo3's are all right, I like the HiVi RT2C a bit better. I know people can be judgemental towards ribbon tweeters (Harmonic distortion and what not), but as for me its hard to go back to dome tweeters after using ribbons and planar type tweets. I'd imagine the 130 is just as nice as the 110, but maybe a bit more limited in the vertical range as it has a more rectangular than square ribbon. I'd like to try some of the Aurum Cantus drivers in the future.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2013, 05:09 am »
Wow!  Most impressive. 

Crumbs

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:03 am »
6thplanet. Can you comment on the note about non-capacitor crossover not having a phase change. Do you mean that you have a linear phase shift or something else? Does the comment only apply to certain and not all crossover points?

Crumbs

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:05 am »
I'm also curious if the apparently carbon fiber panel resonates at an audible frequency in comparison to a thicker wood, plywood, or MDF panel.

6thplanet

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:18 am »
http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1027
This thread discusses this type of crossover, the link to the actual company that I guess designed it no longer works?? It doesn't use any capacitors therefore no +/- 90 degree phase shift (6dB per octave slope) in the x-over region. Pretty cool design that works quite well with the right drivers.
As for the baffle panel, I stated that its:

"The baffle is 10 gauge 5052 aluminum plate with woven Carbon Fiber/Copper laminated on the front and Cascade VB-2 Damping on the back"

For the most part its pretty dead as far as resonance goes...