11" or 13" MBA

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
11" or 13" MBA
« on: 30 Jul 2012, 06:48 pm »
I've wanted one for a long time and think I might go for it this weekend.  Since it's a tax free weekend and the new models are out, this could be the time. 

No matter which one I get I'll max out the RAM and go for the better processor.  The question is which size? 

Your help is appreciated.  What do you have and are you happy?  I'd just hate to buy one and want the other and no, buying both isn't an option. 

Crimson

Re: 11" or 13" MBA
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2012, 07:18 pm »
I went with the unobtrusive, absolutely lovely, portable 11". I love it. Fits in anything.

Were I to do it again, I'd get both.

Hope this helps.  :D

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2012, 07:20 pm »
I went for the 13" last year because of the better resolution - 1440x900

This new version of the Air is very powerful considering there is no discrete graphics, but the Intel HD 4000 video is not too shabby.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2012, 08:35 pm »
Will this be your primary computer or laptop? I was shopping for Airs this week and the rec I got was for the larger screen if it will get lots of use. This also coming from a student with an 11".

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2012, 08:44 pm »
I have the 13 and I would not want to go any smaller.  For pure portability, I have an iPad, which I'm getting a keyboard for soon.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2012, 12:41 am »
Thanks for the feedback.   :duh: :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2012, 12:52 am »
The 11 inch is great, if you are a munchkin ;)

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:20 am »
The 11" Air is the perfect laptop. Nothing else comes close.

MLS

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:38 am »
I have an 11" and love it.

LA mitchell

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2012, 06:21 am »
I have a 13 inch now but plan to get an 11 inch next time.

I know that's no help, but felt like I should chime in :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm »
I'm really leaning towards the 11".   :scratch:

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm »
The 11" Air is the perfect laptop. Nothing else comes close.

+1

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2012, 05:15 pm »
Jason do you have an Apple Store near you? I really think it comes down to having it in your hands. And determining whether that smaller screen would lead to eye strain in your case, with your eyes.

Pez

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2012, 05:33 pm »
two things:

If this is your only computer then I wouldn't go smaller than a 13". 11" is a terrible only computer.

If you are going to be traveling with a lot of stuff then 13" is right out and 11" is your best option. For instance I constantly have an iPad, iPhone, iPod touch (for my daughter) 11" MBA, a 8600 mAh battery charger for all pods, cables, external HD etc etc etc etc. While it is a lot of stuff it's actually under 5 lbs which is just about the limit of what I'm willing to carry long term on my shoulder. a 13" laptop would put me right over while not really gaining me anything in functionality. When on the go I'm checking e-mails, watching movies, remoting in, but mostly fun stuff, though I can use word and stuff.

Any way, anyone who is using Lion/ML will tell you that these new OSs really reduce the issue of screen real estate. I have a 27" iMac and going to the 11" MBA is not a painful experience with pinch to zoom and spaces to sprawl out all of your stuff. OSX rocks!

One last thing:
MBA 11" pros: light, small, literally a take anywhere anytime computer, packs well with other gadgets!
            cons: terrible for gaming, battery life is shorter, not great for iPhoto or other similar programs the new iPad is actually a lot better for this!

MBA 13" pros: battery life, take almost anywhere, works decently as an only computer, more screen real estate, decent for gaming. good for photo programs
            cons: not nearly as bag friendly as the 11", heavier, not as wife friendly (at least in my case), and last- the size is almost big enough to make you want to 15" instead.  8)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2012, 06:04 pm »
Thanks Pez.   :thumb:

I will not be using this laptop for games.  Ever.  That's stuff isn't me.  It will be general stuff, email, word docs etc.

I do have another computer that is much larger in size but thought that the 11" would be really nice for travel.  Also, as much as I like the iPad 3 (and 1) I still find myself wishing I had a keyboard.  I have a keyboard for it but if I'm going to bring that I might as well get a small laptop and have it all in one. 

I'll take a look wtih ML on the screen to see if I can deal with it. 

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2012, 06:22 pm »
Another suggestion since you really like your iPad is the zaggfolio.

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggfolio-ipad-3-keyboard-case#blackCarbonFiber-silver

I bought one in early May for air travel etc.  My iPad has not come out of it since. It is that nifty. Yes, the keyboard is a little small but the key action is very good.

It provides good protection when inside a padded bag and does not have to be removed for inspection at airport security.  At least not when it is in a bag by itself.  It was so much sweeter traveling with it compared to my 15.6" laptop and much larger bag.  I have not had to recharge the keyboard yet.

True, it is no MBA but it can usually be found for $90 or less and may be a better choice for some people. Especially if an iPad is all they need for travel.

pardales

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2012, 06:28 pm »
I went back and forth deciding between the 11 and 13 for a long time. Went to the Apple Store and took each for a thorough test drive and ended up with the 11.

My decision was mainly based on portability and the fact that I use this on the move. Doesn't get any better than the 11 when you are mobile. Many good suggestions above. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2012, 06:49 pm »
Another suggestion since you really like your iPad is the zaggfolio.

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggfolio-ipad-3-keyboard-case#blackCarbonFiber-silver

I bought one in early May for air travel etc.  My iPad has not come out of it since. It is that nifty. Yes, the keyboard is a little small but the key action is very good.

It provides good protection when inside a padded bag and does not have to be removed for inspection at airport security.  At least not when it is in a bag by itself.  It was so much sweeter traveling with it compared to my 15.6" laptop and much larger bag.  I have not had to recharge the keyboard yet.

True, it is no MBA but it can usually be found for $90 or less and may be a better choice for some people. Especially if an iPad is all they need for travel.
Thanks but that's still not a laptop.  The iPad is good for it's intended purpose IMO. 

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2012, 09:14 am »
I do have another computer that is much larger in size but thought that the 11" would be really nice for travel.  Also, as much as I like the iPad 3 (and 1) I still find myself wishing I had a keyboard.  I have a keyboard for it but if I'm going to bring that I might as well get a small laptop and have it all in one. 

I'll take a look wtih ML on the screen to see if I can deal with it.

Some hands-on would be good, before purchase. It's a fairly personal thing, laptops. I found the screen to be small, at first. But i got used to it quickly, and the thing is just so... portable.

I don't agree with Pez about how it's terrible as an only computer. At least, I hope I don't agree, as I'm about to sell my 27" iMac and upgrade my Air to the current model with the proceeds. Pez - what's wrong with just plugging in an external screen, for the times when you really do need more real estate? (I exclude the music computer from the equation.)

pardales

« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:13 pm »
Some hands-on would be good, before purchase. It's a fairly personal thing, laptops. I found the screen to be small, at first. But i got used to it quickly, and the thing is just so... portable.

I don't agree with Pez about how it's terrible as an only computer. At least, I hope I don't agree, as I'm about to sell my 27" iMac and upgrade my Air to the current model with the proceeds. Pez - what's wrong with just plugging in an external screen, for the times when you really do need more real estate? (I exclude the music computer from the equation.)

I actually use the 11 as my work computer. For my office set-up I plug in an external monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a USB to ethernet adaptor and it works great as a main.