What's the best Solid State 2 channel integrated amp you have heard? (and Tube)

geowak

I heard the best SS amp at a dealers house. For me the Musical Fidelity M6 500i (integrated amp) was the best sounding. Open, musical and very involving but yet easy to listen to for long sessions. No strain at all for this dual mono design. Approx. $7K.

Next.. was a surprise to me. The Line Magnetic Audio 210IA 300B SET integrated tube amp. 8 watts of the best class A I have heard in my limited experience. It beat out a AR, and was a bit better than a Leben I also heard. Played through some very nice Devore Fidelity speakers with an analogue source it sounded very easy, open, detailed and natural.

I know there are many very good sounding integrated amps out there. Which ones stood out for you?

timind

• permanent vacation
Unison Research Unico is my favorite.
For reference, here's a partial list of integrated amps I've owned: Classe CAP-151, Audio Refinement Complete, NAD C-352, Bel Canto EVO2i, PS Audio Trio C-100, Primare I30, Unison Research Unico, Cairn 4808 North Face, Musical Fidelity XT100, Rega Mira 3.

OzarkTom

TBI Millenia amp for $500. I have quite a few integrateds sitting around including tubes, but this TBI takes the cake.

Here is a recent review from Positive Feedback.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm

TONEPUB

The Burmester 082, DarTZeel CTH-8550 and the Luxman 590.

Those would be my favorites.

Simaudio i-7 and 700i right up there.

ltr317

I also like the Burmester nominee. 

brooklyn

I owned a Musical Fidelity A5 250 wpc into 8 ohms for a few years, I was very happy
with it until I got my MMG's.

There was plenty of power and dynamics with the MMG's but the top end was a little
bright for my taste..

mca

Ayon Triton, solid state authority with tube sweetness.

newzooreview

There are a lot of good options, but in the $1650 price range the HEED Si is excellent. I easily preferred it to the Van Alstine separates that I had for an in-home trial, and in comparison to the well regarded Wyred4Sound STI-1000 that I had for a while. The HEED combines the organic fluidity of tubes with a very high level of detail and terrific control of bass (without any artificial emphasis). On top of that it handles dynamics extremely well, really keeping pace with the life of the music. It just sounds right and never fatiguing. Compared to my Jolida 302, the HEED has all of the tube naturalness with the control and detail of solid state. Soundstaging is outstanding as well.

HEED seems to get no attention in the US, but it's very well reviewed in the European magazines. It's a small shop out of Hungary, very much in the spirit of many manufacturers that have fora here in Audiocircle. There's more info on their website.

http://www.heedaudio.hu/en/products/obelisk-line/si

I bought mine at EarHead Audio in Winchester, VA. I don't know what other shops might carry them in the U.S., but if you run across one you should check it out.

thuhaile

Unison Research S6 SE and MF Nu-Vista M3 int amps

Mass. Wine Guy

I second the Bel Canto EVO2i. I haven't had too many integrated amps, but this one delivers all I think I'm seeking without a trace of listener fatigue. I had another one about 1 year or so ago that got all sorts of ga ga press reviews. Made in Taiwan but I can't remember the name right now. On paper the specs were sensational. In real life, it was bright and tiring.

ncblue

SS would be the Naim Supernait.
Decware Torii mk3 for tube.
Nat

Freo-1

Pass Labs Int 30.5.  IMHO, Nelson's best effort to date.  It seems to have a sonic correctness that very few amps at any price can match.
For 30wpc, it seems to to be able to drive almost any speaker quite nicely.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2013, 01:31 pm by Freo-1 »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
It was the Gamut I150, it is expensive($10K in USA) and it is a mess inside, lots of PCBs and wiring.

revrob

LSA Signature was by far the best integrated that I have heard and owned. 150 watts, sweet and seductive.

CSI

Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2

srb

Pass Labs XA 30.5.  IMHO, Nelson's best effort to date

I believe the XA 30.5 is a power amplifier, not an integrated amplifier.

Steve

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
NAD 3020 in a simple basement system running JPW speakers.  Amazing soundstage and depth.

mkaiser

Ayre Acoustics AX5

Mark

OzarkTom

mcgsxr

I have not spend extensive time listening to integrateds, but a personal fav is the Sudgen A21 at about 3K MSRP.  25 wpc of pure class A joy.

I owned a lesser Sugden model (the A28B 45wpc) that was biased to class A but was an AB design.  Kept me loving music for 10 years until I discovered this place...!