For Sale: Sansui TU-X1 Tuner, Chow modified, $3375 obo

YoungDave

Hello all,
I want to sell my TU-X1.  It is a legendary tuner and you can find all about it at http://fmtunerinfo.com/sansui.html#sansui-tux1.

My tuner is recently back from Joseph Chow's shop, Audio Horizons/Components Plus, where it received a comprehensive set of upgrades and alignment to both the AM and FM sections in May, 2012.  This service cost $775 plus shipping, and was well worth it.  The tuner gets lots of stations with my rooftop FM antenna and a 100-foot straight wire outdoor AM antenna.  It sounds superb.  However, I just have too many tuners.  My much more heavily-modded TU-9900 will meet my needs, and so I am going to part with this one.

I realize that $3625 is a lot of money, but this is a lot of tuner.  You can sometimes get one on ebay for $2500 or a little more, but this one is properly sorted out, at considerable extra cost to me, and not just an old ebay tuner.

The tuner is in fine condition, with but one spot on the case top (not the front panel), about 1/8 inch x 1/4 inch, where the black paint is worn off.  I replaced the original hard plastic feet with sorbothane half-spheres.  All features and functions work properly, all lights work, etc.  Part of the Chow mod included bypassing the front-panel volume controls as they are unnecessary and could degrade fidelity.  I can provide the complete 14-point list of mods by pm upon request.

The tuner is located in Southern Maryland.

I am having trouble embedding images in this post, so please see my gallery at http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=7367 for pictures.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2012, 12:21 am by YoungDave »

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: For Sale: Sansui TU-X1 Tuner, Chow modified, $3625 obo
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2012, 04:07 am »
i can wouch for mr chow's work, and for the quality of the tu-x1's.  mr chow has refurb'd and modded a few of my tuna's, including my tu-x1.  i wonder how many more chow-modded tu-x1's are in maryland?   :thumb:

mine:

doug s.

YoungDave

Re: For Sale: Sansui TU-X1 Tuner, Chow modified, $3625 obo
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2012, 07:28 pm »
Thanks, Doug.  The TU-X1 is certainly a fine tuner, but I do not think there are very many around or we would see more of them for sale.  I wish I knew what total production was, somewhere in the low thousands probably but when you break it down worldwide, maybe only a few dozen in Maryland-DC-Virginia zone.  Just a guess, though, without the 1980's sales figures.

Cheers,
Dave

YoungDave

Re: For Sale: Sansui TU-X1 Tuner, Chow modified, $3375 obo
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:20 am »
Price lowered to $3375