Cartridge recommendations for Rega p25

djbnh

« on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:06 pm »
I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. I've read the reviews, in various arenas, related to the Dynavector 10x5. Recommendations for cartridges in a similar performance/price range are appreciated. FYI - I run an Odyssey Stratos amp and Tempest preamp, in case that information may be helpful. Here's some information about the preamp's abilities, in case that helps (qote from Klaus Bunge, Odyssey's owner):

The Tempest has indeed both, MC and MM stages, selectable and switcheable. The MC stage has a standard 47 K, and I have used it with the 0.2 mV Symphonic Line RG 8 Gold with great success. Don't think that I'd go any lower than that, though. However, again, keep in mind that the Tempest is the $3,300 SL RG 2, which SL has been tweaked and improved for nearly 2 decades. Also keep inmind that Rolf is a die-hard analog lover (with one of the largest Opera - and classical voice collection I've ever seen, & old Jazz greats), and you'll have an idea that the phono section is actually one of the priorities of the preamp.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:22 pm »
The Dynavector's work great with the Rega's.  I use a Dynavector 20XH to great effect.  It matches the Rega PRAT very well.  I used to have a Grado cartridge and it was a terrible match with the Rega tonearm causing woofer pump.

Michael

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:38 pm »
I agree with mcrespo71; while the Grado's are great cartridges, they don't always work too well with Rega arms.

The Dyna 10x5 @ 2.5mv should make great music in the RB600 arm- and should be compatible with your preamp.

(Don't hold me to this- but I think you will need the 2mm spacer to get the most out of the Dyna/Rega combo. You might check the Rega forum or with a Rega dealer)

Good luck..

WEEZ

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2004, 12:33 am »
Don't hold me to this- but I think you will need the 2mm spacer to get the most out of the Dyna/Rega combo. You might check the Rega forum or with a Rega dealer)

Good point.  I use a 2mm spacer on my 20XH.

Michael

djbnh

Spacing issues; acrylic platter; subplatter
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2004, 12:49 am »
I forgot to mention the Rega P25 I purchased comes with an Incognito VTA adjuster. Thanks for your comments about proper height. I hope the Incognito will amply and accurately provide proper adjustments for a wide range of cartridges.

The unit also comes with an Iron Iron Audio Acrylic Platter. Any pro/con comments about this platter in use with a P25/cartridge combination are appreciated. Furthermore, the subplatter and bearing have been upgraded as well.

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2004, 01:14 am »
Furthermore, the subplatter and bearing have been upgraded as well.

From what I've heard from others, these are good upgrades.  

Michael

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2004, 01:28 am »
So now that you received your turntable, any updates?

Michael

djbnh

Update
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2004, 02:48 am »
Thanks for your question. I first did some major but inexpensive  :D dampening (see photo at http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vopin&1081031922&viewitem&o4, and explanation at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1081031922&openflup&12&4#12), which has worked extremely well. I then bored out the arm hole slightly to accept the VTA adjuster, added a Michell Tecno Stub/Counterweight (which I strongly recommend for Rega owners that have the stock counterweight, great upgrade!), set the cartridge up with a Rega Baerwald protractor from The Vinyl Engine, adjusted VTA, used the the HFN test album to fine tune, etc., and am getting some really nice sound improvements. I should be happy with the way things are for now.

That being said, the upgrade bug is pushing me to still consider upgrading the cartridge  :oops: . It's a far less burning issue than previous. However, I'm feeling a nice low output MM could work well with my Odyssey Tempest preamp's phono section, so that I could get even more out of the Rega. I've made some inquiries and gotten some price quotes to consider, including going for a different, completely rebuilt and retipped cartridge (with the same Van den Hul stylus as in the Colibri). I'm also wondering if having the RB600 arm rewired with the Incognito kit by BritAudio (from whom I purchased the Michell TechnoWeight) would be a better decision at this point.

Readers opinions on this and other areas are always appreciated, and cost is always a factor!

mcrespo71

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:01 am »
I'm also wondering if having the RB600 arm rewired with the Incognito kit by BritAudio (from whom I purchased the Michell TechnoWeight) would be a better decision at this point.

I've heard the Incognito rewire of the RB300 compared to a stock Rega RB300 and preferred the stock Rega.  I think the Incognito does some  things better- slightly cleaner and slightly more information at the extremes, but the arm lost more musicality, especially in just a sense of rightness and rhytmic expressiveness that Rega arms (and how they relate to the Rega TT) are known for.  To me, modding Rega's is a slippery slope- I fooled a lot with my P25, but now the only mods I kept (after BS platter, mat, feet changes) are the heavier counterweight and a Neuance isolation shelf (which makes gigantic and important musical changes to Rega TT's).  I bought a Rega because I love the sound of Roy Gandy's Rega TT's.  I don't need a wannabee VPI frankenstein Rega, which is honestly what I used to have.  For all the $ I wasted on tweaks, I could have just bought the older version P9, which I'm positive was better than my P25 with or without tweaks.   My next upgrade to the P25 is clear- the new P9.

Michael

djbnh

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:07 am »
Thanks for the information and your experiences with various system mods. It seems we have a shared point of view that improved damping and an upgraded counterweight are important to getting better sound from the P25.

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:11 am »
I just looked at a picture of your TT and it looks almost exactly like mine did a few years ago, as I had my BDR cone footed Rega on top of a bright star sandbox and air mass!!!  Rega's are rigid light mass designs for a reason- quick dissipation of energy. My mass loading of the Rega killed the P25s primary attribute- kick ass rhytmic expressiveness.  

Maybe you are a better Frankenstein surgeon than I was. :wink:  :)  As a longtime owner of the P25, I will tell you it's primary weaknesses- motor regulation and isolation.  It seems you have found a way to handle the isolation- the biggest bang for your buck at this point is undoubtedly in motor regulation.  Of course, getting a speed controller device is $, which could be spent on the P5, with it's better arm, lighter plinth, and motor regulation  

Michael

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:14 am »
BTW, if you find a good deal on the Origin Live arm used, you may want to try it.  You should have no problem flipping it if you don't like it.  Just make sure you don't lose the rhythm in all your experiments.  Good luck. :D

djbnh

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2004, 01:39 am »
Thanks for your comments - I love the Frankenstein image (I wounder if Mary Shelly would have preferred vinyl over digital?) Anyway, I have found my isolation of the Rega has worked extremely well for my ears, and plan on making no changes to it. Additionally, after adding a J A Michell TecnoWeight/arm stub, I decided this weekend to A/B my installed Iron Audio Acrylic platter and the stored-away stock glass platter. I found my ears, with the Michell TecnoWeight installed, now prefer the sound with the glass, stock platter. Thus, the Iron Audio platter is up for sale, or being "flipped" as you might put it. :lol:

The Michell TecnoWeight remarkably pulled in increased detail and presented better while keeping the other attributes of the P25 I find favorable, and in my system, pairs better with the glass platter. If I didn't have the TecnoWeight on my arm, I'd prefer the Iron Audio acrylic platter.  Just another example of system synergy and unexpected outcomes. I wonder if users of other aftermarket Rega counterweights, paired with the Iron Audio acrylic platter, have had a different experience?

audiochef

rega upgrade
« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:34 am »
djbnh, have you tried Extreme Phonos Non-Fellt Mat?
I made my own out of the exact same material they use I had laying around.
For my P3, it made a huge difference over the stock felt mat.
Less vailed and more 3d imaging.

djbnh

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2004, 11:07 am »
Audiochef,

Thanks for the tip. I'll research the mat. (I dislike how the Rega stock mat attracts dust, hair, etc.) It also seems that Herbie's mat has its followers, too (I know his CD "Grungebuster" works nicely.).

In the meanwhile, do you want to tell readers how you made your own mat?

audiochef

mat
« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:18 am »
Being  in the food industry, I 've noticed this cross like foam rubber  used as a damper / liner for glasses in bar sections at restaurants. I've noticed  this comes in various materials and thickness .
About six years ago I found a 2 by 6 foot roll of this stuff at Costco for about  $10.00 . This happens to be the exact same thing used used by Extremephono, exept theirs is black, mine is white.
I'm sure this stuff could still be found at hardware stores or the like.
It really is a  very dramatic difference for my table.