Refurbing ElectroVoice Aristocrats ideas, suggestions, help?

Thinker1920

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a pair of Aristocrats to go with my SET tube amp, they sound great together but, they need some TLC.

I intended on refinishing them since their outsides were pretty beat up, and they are two different finishes, ones dark mahogany and the other's a light blonde color.

When I got them home and took the grill off I found out they were setup different, one has a 12TRXB, which is a full range 12" with a horn mounted in the center, and the other is a SP 12 B (which I think is a fullrange 12"?) with a crossover and a t 35 horn mounted next to it.

So one of my questions is, do I change the drivers to new modern drivers with the same specs of the originals, if I could find anything like that? Or do I have the current drivers reconed, and if I went the route of reconing should I switch one out so they end up matching? (I was thinking about getting another 12TRXB since the one I have sounds better but, I think they're might be something either wrong with the crossover or the horn in the other one since it just doesn't seem to sound as good to me as the 12TRXB.)

I was calling around and so far the only place I could find that could recone them, I think was simplyspeakers.com and they wanted $150 a speaker. so that would be $300 + $130 for another 12TRXB (which would be included in the recone)

So is there a cheaper way outta this? The current speakers are rated @ 96 dB efficiency so I would like to stay there or if I went with new drivers possibly higher.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Refurbing ElectroVoice Aristocrats ideas, suggestions, help?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:45 pm »
Does this thread look familiar in any way?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257161

Thinker1920

Re: Refurbing ElectroVoice Aristocrats ideas, suggestions, help?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2012, 06:19 am »
I hadn't seen that thanks for the link!....... in looking for parts I ended up getting four more aristocrats, two of which had university tweaters and crossovers instead of electrovoices but, they have sp12b's which kinda confuses me b/c I thought that the sp12b's were 16 ohms?