Anyone familiar with the Gallo TR-1 subwoofer?

sonicxtc

Anyone familiar with the Gallo TR-1 subwoofer?
« on: 20 Jul 2012, 02:31 am »
I am seeking a sub to mate with a pair of Green Mountain monitors. The Gallo TR-1 was suggested as an option. Is anyone here familiar with it?

Any other moderate priced suggestions?

Thank you.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: Anyone familiar with the Gallo TR-1 subwoofer?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2012, 02:53 am »
Are you looking at new or used? The TR-1 was replaced by the TR-1D. The TR-1D has a more powerful Class D amp, and greater output than the TR-1 it replaced.

sonicxtc

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:39 am »
Hi Barry. Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for a used sub, in part because of cost and in part because I'm debating what I will do with the monitors. I want to know what the Green Mtns. will sound like with a good sub because the foundation of the bass is shy compared to what what I've grown accustomed to with floorstanders. They are GREAT speakers, though and that's why it's worth some effort to dial them in.

I'm not seeking earthshaking HT type bass, just something to fill out the bottom and lend some grunt to the music.

BTW, I did search, but I had difficulty finding reviews of the TR-1. There was only one mainstream review.

Hope that answers your question. Thanks.

EDS_

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:55 am »
I have two that I use in my HT room.  I like them a lot.  The do nothing exceptionally well and nothing poorly. 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2012, 05:22 am »
I have two that I use in my HT room.  I like them a lot.  The do nothing exceptionally well and nothing poorly.

Yup - exactly my thoughts (I have only one of them)

They're small and offer tight (tho not chest thumping - seems better suited to music than home theater).  Decent heft at about 35lbs considering their price - so there's some nice 'guts' inside (perhaps the newer digital version is a little lighter, too).  It's get flexible control functions, too, for tailering the sound to your room more ideally.

sonicxtc

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2012, 03:35 pm »

I thank BOTH of you for your input. I'm gathering you think this is a very good sub for music, but maybe not a "great" sub. That's fine. Not calling attention to itself is a virtue.

Do you believe it's likely I will need TWO gallo subs to create some decent heft for rock music? Will Pink Floyd's DSTOM or Mickey Hart's Planet Drums be crying out for more deep bass? WHEN I crank tunes it's loud, but not super loud and certainly not "club" loud.

Thanks again for your input.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2012, 04:54 pm »
Well I took a quick look in the usual places, and didn't see any used Gallo subs available. FWIW, Gallo now offers a 60 day in home no risk (free shipping both ways) audition, and a new TR-1D is $599...

http://www.roundsound.com/shop/subwoofers-amplifiers.html

DS-21

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2012, 05:25 pm »
I am seeking a sub to mate with a pair of Green Mountain monitors. The Gallo TR-1 was suggested as an option. Is anyone here familiar with it?

Any other moderate priced suggestions?

Thank you.

One killer sub that's reasonably priced is the SVS SB12-NSD. It uses a fantastic woofer (Peerless XXLS12, with lots of power and a well-built if simply-finished cabinet. The original Gallo MPS-150 used a similar 10" woofer, before they moved to cheaper woofers in bigger boxes. The Genelec sub that "won" Keith Yates' old "Way Down Deep" comparo used four similar woofers. (I believe Genelec used the XLS12, which actually has a little bit less mechanical clearance than the XXLS version.)

You couldn't build one for what they charge you.

sonicxtc

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2012, 01:43 pm »
Well I took a quick look in the usual places, and didn't see any used Gallo subs available. FWIW, Gallo now offers a 60 day in home no risk (free shipping both ways) audition, and a new TR-1D is $599

Thanks Barry. I have a line on one locally for a buck 50. I imagine that's a good value.  So, at this point, I am trying to determine if THIS is a good way to go versus another sub. Even in Craigslist I see Velodynes and such, too. But, I don't just buy on price, I wish to know if it's "that" good. Thanks for taking to time to post and inform me. Much appreciated.

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2012, 09:31 pm »
Gallo has an excellent rep, so I would have to think for a buck and a half there is not much risk. 

Jim

sonicxtc

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2012, 12:39 am »
Gallo has an excellent rep, so I would have to think for a buck and a half there is not much risk. 

Jim

Thank you Jim.

BTW, a question for Barry. I know you are very familiar with Gallo. Do you know if there is much of a difference in the QUALITY of sound between the TR-1 and the more recent TR-2 or TR-3?   I think that will settle it for me. Thanks.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2012, 01:14 am »
The TR-1 was musical but lacking oomph for HT, the TR-2 powerful but a bit boomy, and discontinued not long after the TR-3 was introduced, the TR-3 is musical like the TR-1 but with plenty of oomph. The new TR-_D subs are both better than their predecessors, the TR-1D being near the former TR-3.