SUT or a quality MC phono pre?

vortrex

SUT or a quality MC phono pre?
« on: 18 Jul 2012, 04:40 am »
I run a Soundsmith Zephyr with a Well Tempered Amadeus and K&K Audio MM phono pre.  I want to move into the MC world and am wondering if I should add something like the Choir Audio SUT-H7 or switch to a high end MC phono pre?  I keep reading posts by those saying that adding the SUT is a tremendous improvement over using a capable phono pre.

JCarney

Re: SUT or a quality MC phono pre?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2012, 04:49 am »
May I suggest using the K&K Premium step-up kit? I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I've listened to more vinyl since getting it then in the previous 6 months. Shoot Kevin an email to make sure they are compatible.

Good Luck,
JCarney

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2012, 05:03 am »
You should also have a look at Bob's Devices.  He is a wiz at choosing the perfect step up for your cartridge.  His match for my Shelter 501 II is glorious.

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2012, 05:24 am »
Those are both less expensive options but it seems like the Hashimoto transformers are a notch better?  The real question is, spend $1700 on a SUT or sell my current phono pre and have a $3k budget for MC phono pre?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm »
I run a Soundsmith Zephyr with a Well Tempered Amadeus and K&K Audio MM phono pre.  I want to move into the MC world and am wondering if I should add something like the Choir Audio SUT-H7 or switch to a high end MC phono pre?  I keep reading posts by those saying that adding the SUT is a tremendous improvement over using a capable phono pre.

What MC are you moving to?  There's no such thing as a universal tranny.  If you want to try some different LOMC, you're ill advised to just go out and buy a tranny. Here are some considerations:
http://www.vinylengine.com/step-ups-and-mc-cartridges.shtml

I don't know where or what posts you've been reading, but I strongly disagree.  Results vary, but compared to a good MC stage, it's a trade off at best. That's SQ for dynamics.  I'd also suggest not giving up your MM stage. There are plenty of excellent MM/MC stages for $3K or less. Check out the last few posts here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107257.0

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm »
Those are both less expensive options but it seems like the Hashimoto transformers are a notch better?  The real question is, spend $1700 on a SUT or sell my current phono pre and have a $3k budget for MC phono pre?

Never had the chance to listen to Hashimoto's, would like to. I think the K&K premium SUT kit will compete with any step-up devices, regardless of price. My MK1 basic kit held it's own against an Air Tight step up with Tamura iron in it at more than 5 times it's price, so cost is not an indicator of performance.

Good Luck,
JCarney

BobRex

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm »
I don't know where or what posts you've been reading, but I strongly disagree.  Results vary, but compared to a good MC stage, it's a trade off at best. That's SQ for dynamics.  I'd also suggest not giving up your MM stage. There are plenty of excellent MM/MC stages for $3K or less. Check out the last few posts here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107257.0

For a differing point of reference, I've been using a Herron MC phono stage for years.  Recently I pulled out the FET MC stage and started using a Choir Audio Hashimoto 3 SUT for gain.  I picked up greater texture and color, somewhat better dynamics, and better dynamic differentiation (silence between notes, resolution between strings,...)

For me it was a win-win.  BTW, I'm using a VDH Colribi.

vortrex

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:37 pm »
I haven't picked out a MC cart yet.  It'll probably be something relatively inexpensive to start with.  I don't plan on going without a MM stage, but since I have never heard LOMC I want to see what it's all about.  It's posts like Bob's that I have been reading where people see improvements using a quality SUT over a very capable MC phono pre.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:42 pm »
For a differing point of reference, I've been using a Herron MC phono stage for years.  Recently I pulled out the FET MC stage and started using a Choir Audio Hashimoto 3 SUT for gain.  I picked up greater texture and color, somewhat better dynamics, and better dynamic differentiation (silence between notes, resolution between strings,...)

For me it was a win-win.  BTW, I'm using a VDH Colribi.

I believe you.
What's the input impedance of your Herron, 1 Mohm?  Even if you have it set at 47K, it really doesn't matter. OP has neither a Herron or a Colribi.  Results are not universal.

BPoletti

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2012, 02:59 pm »
I haven't picked out a MC cart yet.  It'll probably be something relatively inexpensive to start with.  I don't plan on going without a MM stage, but since I have never heard LOMC I want to see what it's all about.  It's posts like Bob's that I have been reading where people see improvements using a quality SUT over a very capable MC phono pre.

A good quality SUT and an AT-OC9ml/II would probably satisfy your needs.  Hard to tell if it would be a step up from the Zephyr or not since I have not heard the SoundSmith cart. 

You can decide later if want to go straight into a phono pre-amp and bypass the SUT. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:24 pm »
When I first tried a transformer, I really didn't know how it worked.  It's considered a passive device - not plugged into the wall.  Somehow, you plug in your cart, and out it comes with enough voltage to drive your MM stage. How does this magic work?
http://www.powertransformer.us/stepuptransformers.htm

Really?  Additional eddy currents and magnet distortion from iron core coils configured as a transformer?  A SUT for a phono cart is the same thing.  IMO any improvement over a high quality MC gain stage is coloration.  That's assuming you have adequate gain going straight in.   Greater texture and color - that's in addition to what's on the recording.  Greater dynamics - at what price?  If you find a great match, euphonic colorations are pleasing and addictive. If you don't have a great match..... 
With a budget between 1700 and 3K to try out some MCs, IMO that's a no brainer. 

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:36 pm »
When I first tried a transformer, I really didn't know how it worked.  It's considered a passive device - not plugged into the wall.  Somehow, you plug in your cart, and out it comes with enough voltage to drive your MM stage. How does this magic work?

Really?  Additional eddy currents and magnet distortion from iron core coils configured as a transformer?  A SUT for a phono cart is the same thing.  IMO any improvement over a high quality MC gain stage is coloration.  That's assuming you have adequate gain going straight in.   Greater texture and color - that's in addition to what's on the recording.  Greater dynamics - at what price?  If you find a great match, euphonic colorations are pleasing and addictive. If you don't have a great match..... 

So you know what's on the recording?  Is it possible that some MC stages (like the J-FET stage of the Herron) may just strip off some of the "color" that's on the recording?  I seem to remember that being discussed by a few reviewers back when the Herron was the "hot" piece to own. 

vortrex

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:40 pm »
The OC9 and 103R are two MC carts I was thinking of testing with.  I guess since Choir offers a 30 day trial I can at least see how one of those two carts compare to the Zephyr.  People are saying the 103R sounds like a totally different animal when used with a SUT, which has me curious.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2012, 03:46 pm »
The OC9 and 103R are two MC carts I was thinking of testing with.  I guess since Choir offers a 30 day trial I can at least see how one of those two carts compare to the Zephyr.  People are saying the 103R sounds like a totally different animal when used with a SUT, which has me curious.
You might want to ask TomS as he has a 103R and used to use it with a Bob's 1131 SUT. 

galyons

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2012, 04:47 pm »
"quote author=neobop " When I first tried a transformer, I really didn't know how it worked.  It's considered a passive device - not plugged into the wall.  Somehow, you plug in your cart, and out it comes with enough voltage to drive your MM stage. How does this magic work? http://www.powertransformer.us/stepuptransformers.htm  Really?  Additional eddy currents and magnet distortion from iron core coils configured as a transformer?  A SUT for a phono cart is the same thing.  IMO any improvement over a high quality MC gain stage is coloration.  That's assuming you have adequate gain going straight in.   Greater texture and color - that's in addition to what's on the recording.  Greater dynamics - at what price?  If you find a great match, euphonic colorations are pleasing and addictive. If you don't have a great match.....   With a budget between 1700 and 3K to try out some MCs, IMO that's a no brainer.   

Although the link provides a basic overview of step up transformers, its context is virtually useless to support your contention.    Statements in the overview such as:  "With a step up transformer or step down transformer the voltage ratio between primary and secondary will mirror the "turn ratio" (except for single phase smaller than 1 kva which have compensated secondaries). A practical application of this 2 to 1 turns ratio would be a 480 to 240 voltage step down.    and  "High-voltage transmission lines carry the electric current to substations where the voltage is lowered so it that can be distributed locally on smaller power lines known as distribution lines. Distribution line voltage levels are typically 4 kV or 12 kV.[/] These voltages are reduced one last time at smaller pole-top transformers to utilization voltages, typically 120 and 240 volts, to make the power safe to use in our homes."...  show the context of the overview.    It is a ludicrous stretch to postulate the same dynamics at 0.2 MILLIvolts as 4 KILOvolts. I think a 10 million to 1 ratio of voltage MAY have some impact on the construction of the transformer and the transformer's impact on the voltage.  Powerline transmission transformers are built to transfer power, signal is not even an afterthought.  Audio SUT's are designed to pass signal converting unneeded current, (amperage), to needed additional voltage.  Not much corollary beyond the most simplistic classification of step-up/down transformer.  That being said, I use active amplification for my LOMC's, but am planning to give SUT's another try. I tried a SUT maybe 15-20 years ago, but, at the time, it was just too "fiddly" and finicky.  The understanding and construction have come a long way!!  Cheers, Geary

Berndt

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2012, 05:04 pm »
There is a phenomenon about suts.
Many varying viewpoints about them, good and bad.
I had the chance to try head amps and various suts. Hagermans head amp, and the nighthawk. I use a peerless altec 4722.
It is more open sounding for me. I have recently heard a hashimoto hm3 on my rig and it is even more open sounding.
These are just my experiences.

BobRex

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2012, 06:00 pm »

If you look at more recent SUTs you will find that the iron content of the core is lower than it used to be.  Many cores are now nickel / steel alloys that aren't as prone to magnetic effects as older higher iron content cores.   Also, given the voltages and currents, you again aren't as susceptable to   magnetic effects.  In combination, the effects you are expecting are less than miniscule and really aren't an issue.  Maybe you need a better reference source.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2012, 06:59 pm »
So you know what's on the recording?  Is it possible that some MC stages (like the J-FET stage of the Herron) may just strip off some of the "color" that's on the recording?  I seem to remember that being discussed by a few reviewers back when the Herron was the "hot" piece to own.

I've only read one review of a Herron, a few years back. It was very positive and said nothing about stripping color. Around that time I read quite a few user opinions. They loved it.  I take reviews with a grain of salt anyway.  They're good for identifying components to check out for yourself. 

So, now you're suggesting that the colorations of the SUT compensates for losses in the phono stage? 

I'm sure it sounds great, but I suspect a Herron hi gain stage would be better, and more faithful to the recording.  Given Vortex situation, do you really think he would be better off with an all purpose SUT?

Syrah

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2012, 07:02 pm »
I really wish phono stages and preamps would not build SUTs into their designs, as many tube designs do - because my experience supports the above statement that SUTs are very cartridge dependant.  I agree with the post that it's a good idea to stick with the cartridge/SUT combinations that are known to sing together.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2012, 07:22 pm »
Although the link provides a basic overview of step up transformers, its context is virtually useless to support your contention.    Statements in the overview such as:  "With a step up transformer or step down transformer the voltage ratio between primary and secondary will mirror the "turn ratio" (except for single phase smaller than 1 kva which have compensated secondaries). A practical application of this 2 to 1 turns ratio would be a 480 to 240 voltage step down.    and  "High-voltage transmission lines carry the electric current to substations where the voltage is lowered so it that can be distributed locally on smaller power lines known as distribution lines. Distribution line voltage levels are typically 4 kV or 12 kV.[/] These voltages are reduced one last time at smaller pole-top transformers to utilization voltages, typically 120 and 240 volts, to make the power safe to use in our homes."...  show the context of the overview.    It is a ludicrous stretch to postulate the same dynamics at 0.2 MILLIvolts as 4 KILOvolts. I think a 10 million to 1 ratio of voltage MAY have some impact on the construction of the transformer and the transformer's impact on the voltage.  Powerline transmission transformers are built to transfer power, signal is not even an afterthought.  Audio SUT's are designed to pass signal converting unneeded current, (amperage), to needed additional voltage.  Not much corollary beyond the most simplistic classification of step-up/down transformer.  That being said, I use active amplification for my LOMC's, but am planning to give SUT's another try. I tried a SUT maybe 15-20 years ago, but, at the time, it was just too "fiddly" and finicky.  The understanding and construction have come a long way!!  Cheers, Geary

That link was there to illustrate a transformer and how it works. I didn't postulate anything based on powerline transmission.  The fact of the matter is that the coils have a permeable core and magnetic distortions apply. More than a couple electronic designers agree.  Maybe if you have a budget MC stage, and a decent MM stage, an SUT would be preferable.  In that case I agree with Syrah - get the right one.  Otherwise, IMO it's folly.