VMPS RM/X review

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
VMPS RM/X review
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jun 2004, 03:50 pm »
Michael
I can resell the Ampzilla's, though I don't stock it.  My post was in no way any kind of put down on the Spectron, not in any way.  I mentioned that the first amp I had heard in a few weeks was the Spectron.  It seemed great, & I immediately considered selling my A2ks till I plugged them in.  Above is only my opinion based on an A-B comparison.  Based on someone else's opinion & my own audition I believe the stereo Ampzilla beats the old monos.

Based on the above, to me personally, & again it's only my opinion, believing an amp with similar price is far better, I'd never plug a $3500 Spectron into a $13,000 RMX.  It would just not make sense to me.

There was just a touch of big juke box like sound from the Spectron, & much more of a sonic signature imprinted to the overall presentation.  Please, if you have a Spectron & love it, don't consider this a put down, it was just my impression of comparing it to a product designed & engineered by a high end person with absolutely stellar credentials.  Looked at that way, it would be truly shocking if the results were different.

Myabe Formula 1 race cars offer a reasonable but not perfect analogy.  If Michael Schumacher is not racing, either Jarno Trulli or Jenson Button has a chance to win.  But if Schumacher is present, Trulli & Button are only the best of the rest.  The Ampzilla's might not be as unbeatable as is Schumacher, but they beat the Spectron soundly.  My 2c, YMMV.

Rory B.

VMPS RM/X review
« Reply #41 on: 10 Jun 2004, 04:30 pm »
I think that Brian should also ask for the serial number of the RM/X speaker having the PR's replaced so someone like me couldn't just walk up to a computer and ask for a free pair of PR's.

mcrespo71

VMPS RM/X review
« Reply #42 on: 10 Jun 2004, 05:11 pm »
Based on the above, to me personally, & again it's only my opinion, believing an amp with similar price is far better, I'd never plug a $3500 Spectron into a $13,000 RMX. It would just not make sense to me.

Fair enough- your opinion regarding the amps in your system is certainly valid.  However, having heard the RMX at Roops, I'd bet $ to donuts that plugging the Ampzilla Monos would not help that much in his untreated room.  IMO, if the RMXs were not showing their best at Roops it had WAY more to do with his room and less to do with what was hooked up.  I'd take a Plinius integrated and some good 3K speakers in an exceptionally well treated room over any super system in a crap room.

Michael

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
VMPS RM/X review
« Reply #43 on: 10 Jun 2004, 05:24 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Fair enough- your opinion regarding the amps in your system is certainly valid.  However, having heard the RMX at Roops, I'd bet $ to donuts that plugging the Ampzilla Monos would not help that much in his untreated room.  IMO, if the RMXs were not showing their best at Roops it had WAY more to do with his room and less to do with what was hooked up.  I'd take a Plinius integrated and some good 3K speakers in an exceptionally well treated room over any super system in a crap room.

Michael

Ultra super horrendous Jimmie Johnson #48 Megadittos to every word of the above, Michael!