GR driver vs. Rythmik in F12

bdp24

GR driver vs. Rythmik in F12
« on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:42 pm »
Danny (and anyone else!)---I posted an expanded version of this question on the Rythmik site and received no responses, but one guy suggested I ask it here. Having already decided to get myself a pair of Rythmik subs for use in my music-only hi-fi system in a sealed 10(H)' X 13' X 19' room, and crossed over to my old Quad ESL's at 80-100hz, what are the differences in sound between the GR driver and the Rythmik when used in an F12? I do like to crank AC/DC every so often, but I listen mostly to Baroque and Bluegrass (in other words, acoustic instruments and vocals) at room-filling volume. I'm looking for subs that provide the same transparency, immediacy, and open quality as the Quads, and while I'm sure both drivers will give me that, how do they differ? Anybody heard both versions?

Danny Richie

Re: GR driver vs. Rythmik in F12
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2012, 03:30 pm »
When Brian and I worked together on our paper cone version the goal was to produce a more audiophile oriented driver.

The paper cone is a little lighter weight and has a slight speed advantage. It also has the ability to produce a more natural sound with better resolution levels. And it is capable of smoothly playing up into higher ranges.

Here is a comparison from the Rythmik site:

The main performance difference is in the drivers. F12G uses a paper driver designed by GR Research. The paper driver is lighter than our standard aluminum drivers and has a more extended response. It can handle a higher crossover point, however, this is only significant when crossing above 80 Hz If a higher crossover point is desired, F12G is the subwoofer of choice. Please note: when crossing this high, localization can become an issue and dual subwoofers are recommended. Regarding the lower mass, this results in slightly better dynamics at low to moderate output levels. The downside with the paper cone is that it is not as stiff as our aluminum drivers.

bdp24

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:42 pm »
Great Danny, thanks a lot. How do you feel about your driver in Jim Salk's cabinet? Worth the extra $400(!)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
Great Danny, thanks a lot. How do you feel about your driver in Jim Salk's cabinet? Worth the extra $400(!)?

Jim makes some really nice cabinets, and I am glad to sell Jim anything that he wants.

And welcome to AC.

bdp24

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm »
Wel thanks Danny. It's an unexpected pleasure to find this oasis of excellence in a desert of mediocracy! Reminds me of the community that existed in the early days of Gordon Holt's Stereophile, when every member of the small club was a hands-on participant who knew what he or she was listening for in a speaker (and every other piece of gear), not just buying from a list of official Audiophile-approved choices. My system is comprised completely of components all absent from the bi-annual list!

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2012, 04:30 am »
While I'm here, can I ask you if you know of any cabinets maker offering one for a pair of your 12" with the Rythmik 370W amp, as a dual-driver F12?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2012, 01:15 pm »
While I'm here, can I ask you if you know of any cabinets maker offering one for a pair of your 12" with the Rythmik 370W amp, as a dual-driver F12?

I had an 8 ohm woofer designed just for using a pair of woofers with one amp. I sold out of them though, and Brian decided that instead of paralleling two woofers onto one amp, he wanted to go to a two channel amp. I think his new two channel amps are still under development.

However, as I was going through my 4 ohm woofers, a few weeks ago, I found one last pair of the 8 ohm woofers. So if anyone wants the last pair to build out a dual woofer sub then now is your chance.

There are several people around here that will build you a box finished any way that you want.

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2012, 09:09 pm »
Danny---Could you please send me plans for the construction of H and W OB sub cabinets as we discussed on the phone this afternoon. Have any pics of finished OB bass set-ups? Thanks---Eric.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2012, 12:24 am »
Danny---Could you please send me plans for the construction of H and W OB sub cabinets as we discussed on the phone this afternoon. Have any pics of finished OB bass set-ups? Thanks---Eric.

Sure. Send me over an e-mail to info@gr-research.com and I will reply with attachments.