Auditiorium 23 Mat and Static

SteevA

Auditiorium 23 Mat and Static
« on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:41 pm »
While the often recommended A23 mat appears to be a lot less prone to static cling that the stock mat, I have proved that it is not totally immune to being lifted off the platter by a highly charged record. The mat is probably still worth having for sonic reason but it may not prove to be the static cure-all it is often described as being.

Since getting the A23 I have probably played about 20 records and two of them have managed to lift the mat.  Both of these were new pressings.

Steve

roscoeiii

Re: Auditiorium 23 Mat and Static
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:46 pm »
But in my experience static is an issue with the Auditorium mat far less frequently than with the stock mat. Not a total static eliminator, but certainly a big static (and sonic) improvement over stock.

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2012, 09:51 pm »
I've never had any static problem with my A23 mat.  The only time it lifts up, is when I accidentally grab it along with the record I'm trying to flip.  Where do you live, Steve?  Is it a dry climate?  I'm in Brooklyn, where the humidity can kill you in the summer ;)

SteevA

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2012, 10:39 pm »
I live in Wellington, New Zealand - described as a maritime climate.  Not exactly dry at the moment being that it is the middle of winter, but the house has a couple of heat pumps and one of those systems that drags warm dry air out of the roof space during the day (which I suspect is the main culprit). 

I suppose it is also possible that the Versalex is more static prone than the Amadeus.

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm »
My theory from my time in Chicago is just that the Auditorium has a higher threshold before attic becomes a problem. Good thing ZeroStats are so plentiful.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2012, 11:02 pm »
Hi Steve,
Could just be your room conditions.
The Versalex acts no different than the Amadeus or GTA.
If carpeted, give it a blast of FeBreeze before your rack.
Authorized by none other than Michael Fremer.
Could be the sleeves those two were in.

SteevA

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2012, 12:20 am »
I think ZeroStats might be available down here, but never heard of a FeBreeze.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2012, 12:26 am »
It's fabric softener type of stuff... I may have misspelled.. :lol:

Bobbywheat

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:34 am »
Has anyone tried the Auditorium 23 Hommage Turntable Mat? It's thicker than the standard mat therefore most likely heavier and less prone to lift when removing the disk. Might even sounds better.

Erocka2000

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2012, 03:05 pm »
No, but I was curious about the Hommage mat.  From the one picture I've seen, it seems more foam-like, than the rubber-like feel of the original A23 mat. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm »
Has anyone tried the Auditorium 23 Hommage Turntable Mat? It's thicker than the standard mat therefore most likely heavier and less prone to lift when removing the disk. Might even sounds better.

I was curious as well until I heard it was $250. Bought the standard Auditorium 23 mat and I'm pleased with the results. No static lift problems here.

Erocka2000

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2012, 07:29 pm »
Does anyone know if indeed the Hommage mat is a foam-like material?

ohnofiasco

• Oh No Fiasco
« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2012, 04:37 am »
How does it sound? I currently have a Boston audio mat 1 on my Amadeus and in two month I have blown through three belts....sounds great though, ha.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2013, 04:53 pm »
Hi. I haven't been able to source an Auditorium 23 mat here in the UK. However in a recent review of the Versalex by Jason Kennedy in HiFi Choice I noticed that John Burns the UK importer of WT/ DV and Shahinian recommends using the deck without a mat. I decided to give it a go. After resetting the VTA I spent a very enjoyable 4 hours listening. My policy is to give any change that appears to be an improvement 3 weeks but so far so good. Any other Amadeus or Versalex owners tried there decks without mat?

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2013, 05:13 pm »
So St John is going old school and replicating the Classic? Hmm
Probably because he hasn't heard the A23 mats...

rob400

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2013, 05:37 pm »
So St John is going old school and replicating the Classic? Hmm
Probably because he hasn't heard the A23 mats...
Hi Bonny Prince Charlie. St John's buddy Rob Roy likes the mat free way also. What's your opinion of the supplied mat v none?  :D

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2013, 05:55 pm »
Haven't tried it, yet... dunno, just being silly, but I hope it doesn't sound better than the A23 I use... I like it. It doesn't cling, there's no static.  I do remember the old clear acrylic platter of the Classic , and that nasty damped black platter... There's something comforting about getting to use a mat now... not sure why  Firebaugh chose to use one this time around.  I 'll get the question to him and report back...
You Brits are always so flatearthers... Love it!

rob400

« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2013, 06:08 pm »
Well we don't follow trends just because they are new or popular that's for sure Charlie. Don't put me in the same group as the Linness or Naimees though. They ARE living in a time warp IMHO. If you have access to the top man I would be interested to hear what he feels regarding mats. Cheers

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:25 am »
Okay, Rob, remember, this is filtered thru my brain, which distorts everything...
With the great Firebaugh, it's all about ideas, and how things work and what to achieve. With the early tables he wanted to address warped records, and decided on the acrylic that was dished in the middle, which also meant a clamp to get it snug and the warp out. Hence no mat. Now, years later, different thinking, different ideas.  Flat platter, hence the mat , sans clamp. The geometry of the arm allows for improved tracking on its own. And as everyone can attest, usually sails thru a warp. The dished platter had issues with regards to the entire record surface. New platter does not.
So, haven't tried it yet sans mat, but I'm thinking it is there for a purpose.  We'll see/ hear.
One thing to note , try putting a mat of various makes on the older dished type- bleh! It ruined it.
If you get to try one of the Auditoriums, either the thinner $99 or the thicker felty $300, I think you'd side with this side of the pond.  Your worries should be all about your mains...:)   Isn't that what Limmies worry about most?

rob400

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:34 am »
Thanks for the info Charlie. It's hard to comprehend that the no mat route wasn't tried during the initial testing stage and a mat prefered. However, WTL do seem to incorporate some aspects of there designs to increase commercial appeal. Then there's the economics of course. I would speculate that the squash ball feet in preference to an isolation platform and a standard lid for the decks are more to do shipping costs and keeping retail price down than anything else.

Historically I've found John Burns to be a wise old sage. He was a visionary at Linn (but didn't always adhere to the gospel according to Ivor). He uses his Versalex without a mat so I thought I'd give it a go. The mat less Versalex definitely adds detail, clarity and that live event experience. It's slightly cooler sounding though so benefits maybe ancillary dependant. I'm sure the results will become clearer over the next few weeks. The best way to source an Auditorium 23 might be when I visit New York early in December. I could look to have one delivered to my Hotel.

As for the mains issue. I'm very content. Dedicated supply. Star wired solid oak mains block (constructed by these fair hands) and Atlas Eos power cables.

As for my next upgrade I'm not sure whether to go for a DRT XV1s and stick with my L200 /P75mk2 or L300/ P300 with my DV20xl2 ?? I can't do a comparison at my dealers as he doesn't stock the DV range above XX2.