MMG to 1.6?

medium jim

Re: MMG to 1.6?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:48 am »
Steve:

I'm a dufe, I re-read your post....My preamp uses 6FQ7's which are a direct drop in for 6CG7's.   They're a bit warmer and have a deeper soundstage.  I like the RCA Clear Tops, but the Sylvania's are said to be nice as well.  They're not at all expensive!

https://www.tubeworld.com/6fq7.htm

Jim

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #41 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:59 am »
Steve:

I'm a dufe, I re-read your post....My preamp uses 6FQ7's which are a direct drop in for 6CG7's.   They're a bit warmer and have a deeper soundstage.  I like the RCA Clear Tops, but the Sylvania's are said to be nice as well.  They're not at all expensive!

https://www.tubeworld.com/6fq7.htm

Jim

I bought a pair of RCA black plates from them that they said tested very good.  When I received them, 1 tube was bad and I could not return it because I did not test it until after the 30 day return  period.  Their tubes are way over priced IMHO.

You are right about the 6FQ7's.  The ones that I have, have a warmer sound with more depth.  I believe my 1950's Sylvania's are 6FQ7's.

medium jim

« Reply #42 on: 7 Apr 2013, 02:03 am »
I bought a pair of RCA black plates from them that they said tested very good.  When I received them, 1 tube was bad and I could not return it because I did not test it until after the 30 day return  period.  Their tubes are way over priced IMHO.

You are right about the 6FQ7's.  The ones that I have, have a warmer sound with more depth.  I believe my 1950's Sylvania's are 6FQ7's.

I only used them as an example...

Jim

jult52

« Reply #43 on: 7 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm »
Are you saying that if we could very accurately modify the MMG or the 1.6 crossover to match the other the results would still sound different owing to some level of improved detail/focus/etc that's inherent in the 1.6 transducers but not the MMG's?

Hi Davey - Yes, that's right, the added detail makes the listening experience qualitatively different. 

I was thinking about this issue overnight - because the original post is pretty interesting -- and they way I'd put it generally is that Maggie enthusiasts and audiophiles in general are a self-selected group which tends to value certain audio reproduction qualities.  But those qualities are not necessarily shared by other serious music fans.  I focussed on level of detail reproduced earlier in the thread, but here's another one: the better your system is, the more relentlessly it exposes engineering weaknesses in the recording.  I can see a reasonable serious music fan consider that a significant drawback - and in fact have been advised to lower the performance point of my system because it made listening to bad engineering even more difficult.     

There's a sort of group ideology working among Maggie enthusiasts/audiophiles.  Experiences like deciding that one actually prefers the MMGs to the 1.6s in the final analysis is a piece of evidence that doesn't fit the ideology.  Maybe the reason I've found the observation so intriguing is that like the threadstarter I moved from stock MMGs to a modded version of the speaker which is objectively much better, but which I think I enjoy equally. 

michaelkingdom

« Reply #44 on: 7 Apr 2013, 02:50 pm »
In my case, I can't say one is objectively better - I can only say which I wanted to hear more as a matter of personal preference. Some say the 3 series BMW is the best, even though they make bigger, more expensive ones. Someone who drives a 750 may disagree. Personally, I'd like either but I spent all my money on audio.

I will know more when the 1.7s arrive and report back.

Davey

« Reply #45 on: 7 Apr 2013, 04:57 pm »
Well, that brings the question then.....what is it about the 1.6 transducers that makes detail (or some other aspect) inherently better than the MMG's?  I don't know the answer to that.  :)

I could buy that there's some other variable at work (that's why I mentioned equalizing the crossovers), but I don't see anything inherent in the transducer design itself that would account for it.

What I don't buy is that equipment elsewhere in the system might be responsible.  (A relative comparison would necessarily use the same equipment.)

And obviously we know 1.6's can play louder and go lower in the bass....I'm not talking about that.

Cheers,

Dave.

michaelkingdom

« Reply #46 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:40 pm »
In my case it was run with the same amplifier which is a high power SS amp so equipment is not the variable.