Monoprice HDMI Switcher

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Monoprice HDMI Switcher
« on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:20 pm »
I installed a new Monoprice HDMI Switcher ($80) in my home AV system this morning.  It works and does exactly what I had hoped for with a fast, easy, and painless setup.

My problem this solved was getting the best possible audio quality from my Motorola Comcast cable box.  The cable box has both coax and optical digital audio outputs, but evidently pre-programmed for Dolby Digital instead of SPDIF, so I could not access a useable coax digital output to feed my DAC in the system.  I had to use second best, coming out the analog stereo audio outputs of the cable box into my own preamp, power amp, and speakers.

The Monoprice HDMI Switcher solved this problem.  Almost as an afterthought, it manages to strip out the good old SPDIF digital output from the HDMI signal from the cable box and make it available as either a coax or optical output jack on the switch box.

All it required was digging out one more spare HDMI cable, a coax digital interconnect cable, finding a place to plug in the Monoprice switcher AC wall wart, and plug it all together.  HDMI from the cable box to an HDMI input on the switcher, HDMI cable from the switcher to the TV, and the digital coax cable from the switcher to one of two switched coax digital inputs on my Vision DAC/Preamp.

Turned it all on, and it came up set as I wanted with no adjustments or switches to throw at all.  Voila!  Instant much better music and sound.

The Monoprice HDMI switcher's main purpose is to provide multiple HDMI inputs for TV sets that only have one HDMI input. - - or fewer than you need anyway. It has more functions too, and has some tiny switches on the back that can set for other functions.  I did not bother to read all the fine print in the manual, it does exactly what I had hoped for with no adjustments or tweaks needed at all.

It accepts up to four HDMI sources and provides one HDMI output to feed your TV.  It comes with a tiny remote control to turn it on and off and switch between inputs.  It also has those so important (to me) SPDIF digital outputs which it happily extracts from whichever HDMI source is selected.  It is tiny, foolproof, easy to set up and use, and is inexpensive.  It solved a major problem for me and possibly it can do the same for you.

My HT system consists of a big 40" Sony LED TV, the Comcast cable box, our Vision DAC/Preamp combo unit with the 2 digital input option and remote control.  The second digital input is for the sound from my Oppo Blue Ray player. The system is finished with a big Fet Valve 600R power amplifier and a pair of Salk HT2TL loudspeakers.

Now, with all the stock cable box and TV audio electronics bypassed, the audio quality of my HT system is pretty outstanding.  Who need 5 or 7 speakers when two channels, done really well, image and play so transparently.

The Monoprice HDMI Switcher is worth more than its $80 price to me.  If you too want better TV audio, this device will interface your DAC to your cable box and help your HT system sound better than you would think.  Highly recommended.

Frank Van Alstine

cheap-Jack

Re: Monoprice HDMI Switcher
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm »
Hi.

As a die-hard stereophile, I only intereted in stereo music. Have you tried how it sounds with stereo audio O/P ?

That's will be MY only concern with any HDMI gear.

c-J

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2012, 02:14 pm »
The digital output from my Monoprice HDMI Switcher appears to be as good as from any other digital source.  The all music channels available from Comcast cable sound just fine.

Of course these are probably somewhat compressed before we even receive the signals, but the results are still quite nice.

Your results will depend upon the purity of your source material of course, but I really don't have any reservations about the quality of the SPDIF output of the device.

Frank

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:09 pm »
I use Monoprice's Product ID 5557 (HDMI audio de-embedder) with an Oppo Universal Player and an external DAC and convert SACD to PCM in the player.  Does a great job.  Product ID 5557 is also and an HDMI switcher.  I did try it (the HDMI video switcher) briefly on my 100 inch screen and it looked nice.  I don't need the HDMI outputs for video as the Pre/Pro sends it to the projector.  Monoprice offers some nice products at really good prices.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:36 pm »
Frank, thanks for the information.  I went looking and found the device Phil mentioned (5557) and am about to give it a try. 

Question for one of you, please.  It's difficult to tell from the info on the website, but what I am hoping is that I can feed the device via HDMI from the TV and have the device convert Dolby to PCM so I can feed my DAC.  The "2 channel" button on the remote has me optimistic. 

More specifically, I receive only over-the-air channels, and the damned TV will not convert Dolby to PCM, and has no analog outs.  That's what I'm trying to do and wondering if this might work.

Thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:23 am »
Product ID 5557 to the best of my knowledge does not convert anything.  It merely passes through what is received.  The device is actually made by Port-ta, a Hong Kong co.  I got the Port-ta device first - their model PET 4000 and it is identical to the Monoprice unit.  The unit Frank noted might be better for most people looking to do what he is doing.  I use both of mine (HDMI audio de-embedders) with Oppo universal players (one in the main system and one in the secondary basement system) to take SACD converted to PCM in the Oppo players into a DAC.  You can Google and find lots of choices - Atlona (sold by Markertek among others) ,octavainc.com  , Extron and a host of others. 

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:30 am »
Here is a link to Port-ta's page port-ta.com/converter.html  There are side by side pictures in my gallery of the Port-ta and Monoprice units I noted.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:32 am »

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2012, 03:45 am »
Phil, thanks for your help.  I'll keep digging. 

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2012, 04:07 pm »
Phil, thanks for your help.  I'll keep digging.

The Port-ta/Monoprice units also pass as I noted high resolution PCM.  I've passed 24/192 through the units.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm »
Another use for these HDMI embedders is converting Apple TV HDMI to coax SPDIF.  This is a nice step up in sound quality over using Apple TV's toslink connection into a DAC. 

Apple TV isn't just for video.  You can network stream Itunes or MOG from PC or Ipad/Ipod Touch to your system with this $99 hockey puck sized box.

Russ